Asus STX - OPAMP swap for RCA to AMP audio output

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by synic, Dec 13, 2020.

1. synic

synic Member

As per title, Asus STX - OPAMP swap for RCA to AMP audio output. Im fudging around with OPAMPS. Found half a dozen in a draw I forgot about. Problem is, I've forgotten about them.

I use ASUS STX's to output audio to both headphones and amplifier for 'room sound', switching output in OS / Software.

When I swap the OPAMPS in the STX, I usually just swap 'the two' towards the rear. What is the one in the front towards the outputs? Is that the RCA output? If I want to change the sound going out via RCA to my external amp, then am I going to notice any difference just swapping 'the pair above and below each other' towards the rear of the emi shield?

If I'm changing OPAMPS then really I need to change 'all three' don't I? Haven't done this for years and don't remember ever changing the stand alone 'forward' one, only the pair above and below each other.

Tips appreciated. Flaming okay as long you actually provide some useful information.

EDIT: I should be ordering three OPAMPS of the same type at a time, not just two, shouldn't I?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  2. mtma

mtma Member

Not necessarily. I couldn't find a good diagram off hand about the opamps on the STX, but it looks like the pair that are above one another are part of the I/V conversion stage and then the singular one close to the RCA is a filter and also finally drives the RCA outputs.

More or less the I/V opamps should be the same as they perform the same function for the left or right channel, and the singular one does both L and R for its function so its type is not necessarily linked to the other two.

Dingostolemyghz and synic like this.
  3. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

mtma is correct.
    Changing the pair of opamps in the I/V stage can make a noticable difference to both line out and headphone out.
    Changing the output buffer for the RCA didn't really do much, and the stock opamp in there is very good.

4. OP
    OP
    synic

synic Member

Output buffer for the RCA..? The single stand alone OpAmp? I've seen on HeadFi lots of people changing the OpAmp on all three... Is that just overkill and sort of a waste of money.
    Have you tried many OpAmps in the STX? What is your favorite? Does anyone have preferences?