Asus V crosshair compatible with 965BE C2??

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by sandeep, Jul 20, 2012.

1. sandeep

sandeep Member

2. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

3. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Yep that board supports the 965BE.

AM2+ only cpu's won't work as the 2 denotes ddr2 such as the phenom II 920 and 940 cpu's. Most AM3 cpus will work as the memory controller handles ddr2 and ddr3 but the fx series are all ddr3 only along with a small number of athlon II series.

4. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

The concern the OP may have had is that the 965 C2 is a 140W chip, which a lot of boards DON'T support, even with the socket and architecture support. That said, the Crosshair is (as you mentioned) a very high-end board, so it can cope.

All manufacturers provide a support list on their website. In this case: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/Crosshair_V_Formula/#CPUS

5. OP
    OP
    sandeep

sandeep Member

Thanks guys!

The reason is that one of my Ram modules died and Crucial does not stock that ram anymore and has therefore offered to replace with 4 sticks of DDR3 1600Hz speed. I therefore need a high-end DDR3 motherboard and hope to keep a 4Gig overclock on the 965BE C2.

Cheers
    Sandeep

6. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

I can guarantee that you will NOT be disappointed with that board in any conceivable way. I've had mine for about a year now and have never had a fault, it ran a 955BE (140W) which was a poor clocker so I upgraded to bulldozer 8 core and it sits quite happily at 4.6ghz, its been up to 5ghz too and the board was always stable as hell. GREAT board and you will find the usb link to another computer (for sensors, temps, and bios codes etc) a very useful tool if you OC....

7. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Just dropping this in there....You don't need that motherboard to maintain a 4ghz OC. You need a reasonable board, yes, but not a $260 board....

This board for example is alot cheaper, yet will suit your needs perfectly.

And if you don't particularly like asrock:
    This asus board is just as good.

The asus has 6+2 phase power design and the asrock has 8+2 So both will allow for good Overclocks.

8. bobbth

bobbth Member

I would suggest the gigabyte 990fx-UD3, the UD3 doesn't suffer from the vdroop problems the higher gigabyte boards do but still has 8+4 power. My 955BE is doing 4.25 ghz @1.5v with 2.8 ghz on the nb.

9. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Jeez that's some voltage for them ghz.... I'm presuming its watercooled?

10. bobbth

bobbth Member

yep, but my d-14 handled 1.475v through an 8120 at less than 50c

11. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

That's pretty standard. Out of all the 955s/965s I've had, they all took 1.450 to push over the 4ghz mark. 1.5 for 4.2 is pretty reasonable.

bobbth, I was going to suggest the UD3, but a lot of people have mixed feelings over anything gigabyte around here :D

12. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Wow nice.... wat program are you using to Measure temps? Core temp screws up on my crosshair v and reports sporadically random temperatures changing every few seconds... on load it stabilizes but sits about 10 to 15 degrees below what is being reported through the mobos software and USB link software.... could be a be temp bug IMO.....

On my system I got 4.6ghz @ 1.41v and prime temps get a Max of 50 degrees... gaming gets temps to about 42

13. bobbth

bobbth Member

I use HWmonitor for bulldozer CPU's and coretemp for thuban's/denab's

Gigabyte's higher boards are just about unusable due to the disgusting amounts of vdroop but the UD3 is a nice board and recieves semi-regularly bios updates.
    It has the old-school BIOS instead of newer UEFI/3D-BIOS which may be a deal breaker for some (to me it's a selling point, but that personal preference)

I have a 955 C3 that needs 1.55v to *just* touch 4ghz, 1.5v for 4.2ghz is quite good I would say that less than 15% of 955's can do that

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  14. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah, the 2 I had were good chips. One needed 1.5v to get to 4ghz, the other only needed 1.450ish.

And yeah, the vdroop is terrible!

I've got a 990FXA-UD7. Not particularly liking it for OCing. Currently got a 6100 in it. I gave up on OCIng it :D