ASUS Xonar Essence STX, nice sound card with SNR up to 124dB

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Criminal_Colt

Criminal_Colt Member

I think it's more a question of what you use more, surround sound speakers or headphones. If your answer is phones I'd go with the STX.

Same with music vs games (STX=music).

2. m0tyrider

m0tyrider Member

Don't know why you fellas are waiting for the pci version....ive had the stx since release and its been fantastic. Also bought a pair of AD700's which have been really good to. Though as everyone says about them, bass is well. Average.

If you like your music bassy. avoid these, if you like your music the way it is suppose to be heard. GET THESE.

Only thing im hating at the moment is i cannot run linux with this sound card.... :(
    But the distro's will catch up....they always catch up!

3. Skobb

Skobb Member

I'm waiting for the PCI version for 7:1 support.
    The PCI version IS better, it has its own clock circuit, and it doesn't use crappy pci-e. (I really don't kno what I;m talking about, but the people who told me do lol)
    I thought that recently (in the past 2-4 weeks) support was added for linux?

4. m0tyrider

m0tyrider Member

In the newer kernels. Yes there is support. its abot 2.6.30 but im still waiting till ubuntu have it in there proper distrubution release. Found the alpha's buggy with it.

And why wouldn't you want the PCI-E verison? Its the newer port...reason why i got it. PCI is being phased out.
    I would find 7.1 output useless. I have a 2.1 setup and would never connect 7.1 speakers to my pc. I also have a pair of AD700's and they pair up nicely with this.

If i wanted 7.1 i would use the digital output to a amp and run it that way.

In the end, if you are not going to use the 7.1 buy the pci-e one. Im sure there are differnece's and of course it will probebly be better....its come out how many months later?! But i doubt it will be soooo much better that you will see people trading in there pci-e versions for a pci version.

My 0.02

5. Skobb

Skobb Member

I use 5:1 speakers.. Crappy Z-5500s, but still.. If I'm watching a movie or playing a game, I want it in proper surround lol
    Apparently PCI is 'cleaner' in terms of (??voltage supply?), hence it being better for a precise piece of equipment such as a sound card.
    I have an x58 board with 2 PCI slots, and I don't plan on upgrading for a while.. If I ever do (to a board with no PCI slots), I'll sell off the card and get whatever the latest and greatest is at the time..

6. schweppes

schweppes Member

7. Will S

Will S Member

Asus Xonar Essence STX, 124dB SNR 7.1 PCI-E 24Bit Headphone Amplifier

Strange but its not listed at EYO as a soundcard but is in their subsection for headphones/microphones ( have sent them a query about this )

I notice someone made a comment about not using digital ( I have z5500 ) but only analogue for these . Curious as to why ?

Are these still the kickarse soundcards out there ? I guess my use would be 60% games and 40% music

And have my new headphones (ATH-AD700 ) and they maynot be the best but plenty reckon they do a decent job. Will this soundcard give me a greater listening experience with these headphones ?

Is it time :)

8. Skobb

Skobb Member

If you game more than anything else, I'd suggest the X-Fi Forte..
    Not QUITE up to the level of the Essence, but it owns in games lol
    Oh, and it has 7:1 analogue support out of the box.

9. bigmaxy

bigmaxy Member

Should I buy this?

Hi All
    Would one of these cards be suitable for a htpc? It will be outputting via digital coax S/PDIF to a Pioneer VSX-AX4ASI-G 7.1 Amp driving Paradigm Reference speakers.

Previous posters seem to suggest that if the output being used is digital than it is a waste of money since the quality of this card is in the analog outputs.
    I am currently using onboard optical out from an Intel board.

Cheers

10. raGneG

raGneG Member

Yeah far as i know digital is digital. Just use onboard.. i'd be glad to hear evidence otherwise. I'm interested.

11. Will S

Will S Member

yes , have read the sticky

<quote>

Summary:
    I would pick the Auzen Forte for gaming (followed by the Titanium), but the Xonar STX is a stand out winner for music - head and shoulders above any of the others.

At the end of the day it really comes down to two manufactures: Creative or C-Media.
    And the Forte is the clear Creative option, the STX the clear C-Media option.
    If your a gamer, pick the Forte.
    If your a music lover, pick the STX.
    </quote>

Decsions.......go for music or go for games

Its funny but one of the negatives could be if the card sounds so good for music is would ruin my car music and as I drive to and from Sydney each week ....

12. m0tyrider

m0tyrider Member

13. telefragd

telefragd Member

Because using digital output on your motherboard or a cheaper sound card will sound exactly the same, hence why it's a waste to use a sound card such as the STX with good quality analog output for digital output only.

Indeed. There are some differences in terms of bitperfect output, but I won't get into that.
    bigmaxy, stick to what you're using at the moment.

There'll be no difference if you were to use the STX for digital output.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  14. JuzIE

JuzIE Member

Im getting confused :confused: I plan to purchase this in a couple of months when i get the money for music + gaming + movies and i will be using the digital output as it uses Dolby and so does my amp. Should i be looking at another card?

15. m0tyrider

m0tyrider Member

....If your using a digital output into a amp. You shouldn't be looking at any card. Digital is Digital. Onboard will be fine if your using a digital output.

16. JuzIE

JuzIE Member

I thought the STX quality will be better as it has Dolby Surround and the better DAC's and such?

17. telefragd

telefragd Member

Just to reiterate what m0tyrider said, using digital output completely bypasses what makes the Xonar STX so good; its quality analog output.

The DAC in the STX would be bypassed if you used digital output. You can get Dolby / DTS surround audio with any digital output that supports 'passthrough' of those formats. Most motherboards will support this. If you were talking about 'Dolby Digital Live' for games, then you can just look at cheaper card such as the Xonar DX.

18. Will S

Will S Member

I dont understand also. Are you saying that using a quality soundcard is a waste of time if you use Digital ? In other words digital from you onboard sound chip is as good as digital from a quailty card like the Essence?

19. telefragd

telefragd Member

If you're exclusively using digital output, yes.

The only reasons you'd buy a discrete sound card such as the STX would be for better analog input/output and extra features such as an onboard headphone amp (in the case of the Omega Claro, Auzen Forte and the STX) or DTS Connect/Dolby Digital Live for gaming purposes.

20. JuzIE

JuzIE Member

Ok then, im talking about movies for Dolby. At present my amp is just emulating the sound from my motherboard to all 5 channels. Wouldnt it be better to have the card that supports Dolby Surround?