ASUS Xonar Essence STX v Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 review

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by smiddi, Mar 24, 2009.

1. [LoL]

[LoL] Member

Indeed, you are right, no issue there, EAX is a thing of the past

Did you skip over the bit in my first post.. "FMOD has been modified to support OpenAL rendering" ? Beacuse X-Fi's accelerate OpenAL (in Vista/W7 too) .. which seems to me is what is making you discount the Forte

But I'm no programmer and dont know how well these things work, I assume Creative have it all covered so their chip isnt useless in Vista and onwards with techs other than EAX

2. Sledge

Sledge Member

Well i installed CoD4 last night to see how well the Forte goes, and hrmm.. still underwhelmed..
    Coming from onboard, i was expecting a lot.. maybe the newer onboard isn't too bad after all...
    Though it IS only 1 game so far.. i'll wait and see how i go with others when i have time to do it..

3. spAm^bOy

spAm^bOy Member

What are you listening to it through though - speakers/headphones and which model? You'll only notice the added resolution/detail of this card if your speakers are capable.

4. Sledge

Sledge Member

Just some Creative Inspire 7700's or something like that, but i'd still think it would be better than onboard.
    When i used to have an X-fi with XP it was pretty damn good....
    sigh.. the good old days..

5. spAm^bOy

spAm^bOy Member

Reviews of these speakers tend to suggest they're good for movies and games but not too crash hot for music. You're probably right though - onboard sound has come a long way. That being said, with a nice set of headphones or some nice speakers I think you'd hear a difference.

The other thing is the source - i.e. if you're using mp3's at a lowish bitrate (i.e. anything under 320kb/sec) you're really not really doing the card justice. Try throwing some FLAC files at it and see if you hear a difference.

6. legionnaire

legionnaire Member

How does the ASUS Xonar Essence STX compare to D2X for gaming?

7. spAm^bOy

spAm^bOy Member

Someone else in this thread said they upgraded from a DX2 to the STX and that gaming performance (i.e. audio quality) was as good if not better.

8. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

+1 :thumbup:

Hook up foobar with the asio plugin (or wasapi on vista) and test it with some FLAC audio. Need to put them both in their best light to try to work out if theres any difference.

personally though i dont think even expensive speakers are as good as headphones for games because they dont give you as detailed positional sound- something the forte supposedly excels in.

but yeah i hear ya, i wasnt exactly blown away by the quality of the sounds in cod4 with an STX either, i think the samples they use arent all that great.

9. Sledge

Sledge Member

Yeah i'm not using them for music at all..only games..
    Might hook up my Plantronic headphones over the week end and see how things are..

10. Teddy Bar

Teddy Bar Member

smiddi,
    Thanks for taking the time to do this review which I found helpful and expect delivery of my Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 tomorrow.

11. OP
    OP
    smiddi

smiddi Member

IMO the STX sounds slightly better (its very close though), but the D2X works on more games.

But for music the STX is clearly better.

12. [LoL]

[LoL] Member

Just for a future reference -

I had this card installed in my x16 slot and it worked fine. I moved it to an x1 slot to accomodate for a DTV tuner and it introduced popping and crackling when the volume was turned up, there was also an audible hiss

Just a note for anyone thats getting some hissing / crackling symptoms

ALSO.. I've upgraded from an X-Fi Xtrememusic.. auzen's software seems to be missing teh THX console speaker setup app, which is a shame :( Guess they haven't paid the money for the license to use it

13. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

I wonder if the Forte drivers will work with a standard x-fi extreme gamer.
    The stock creative drivers suck ass.

14. OP
    OP
    smiddi

smiddi Member

I dont rekon they will (they use different chipsets - the Forte uses the same chipset as the X-Fi Titaniums).
    - the Prelude uses the same chipset as the X-Fi Xtreme series.

15. Ogre

Ogre Member

Apparently you could with the prelude drivers a while back, but i am not sure now.

16. $3@N

$3@N (Banned or Deleted)

Hows the Windows 7 drivers for the Forte coming?

17. $3@N

$3@N (Banned or Deleted)

V1.1 Forte W7/Vista/XP drivers out now.

Crackling in movies/windows fixed, bass boost works and heaps of other stuff i havent even fiddled with yet...

WOOOH

18. dexster

dexster Member

this is a super review on the two pcie sounds cards that i have narrowed my choice down to :thumbup:

but is does not make the choice any easier :eek:

ever so slightly (for me) out in the lead is the forte... mainly for better performance in games

however gaming is not consuming as much time as it did BUT when i do game, sound positioning is very important to me

at present it appears that the only reason the forte is 'better' is due to its better drivers while gaming.... while the stx with more mature drivers could potentially have improved results while gaming

in the end we come back to reality and the facts are the forte is a more powerful sound card , is smaller (which helps in a water cooled case) and costs less than the stx

is there anything i have missed regarding why i should reconsider the stx ?
    - the sound card is one of those parts that i upgrade only if i must (ie in this case from pci to pcie)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  19. MillenniumPanda

MillenniumPanda Member

I am looking at getting the Forte. Why? because I need a low profile card for a HTPC.

However, I will primarily using the card for music, with movies coming in second. Will this sound much worse then the STX for this purpose??

I am currently using onboard at the moment, which isn't bad but it's not making me all excited.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  20. ICEW0LF

ICEW0LF Member

save yourself some dosh and get the dx or the ds if its just for a HTPC. forte is good for gaming but if thats not an issue you may as well go asus