1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

At@Games - Sega MS&GG handheld

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by t00|, Feb 10, 2011.

1. t00|

t00| Member

Picked up one of these at kmart today for $50, thought I would post up a small review of it.

PICTURES HERE ;)

First up for size and quality, the unit is fairly small, roughly the same size as a iphone or passport drive but a bit thicker. The screen is only 4.5x3.5cm.
    Takes 3x AAA batteries (not included) Includes a tv out cable roughly roughly 2m long and a manual for game controls
    Includes video out (mono sound) and a headphone port. A + B, menu, start/pause buttons + Dpad.

Turning the system on boots to the game menu, 4 pages. Games are

Alex kidd high tech world, alex kidd in miracle world, alex kidd in the lost stars, assault city, astro warrior, aztec adventure, baku baku animal, bomber kid, columns, dragon crystal, ecco the tides of time, fantasy zone, gain ground, global defense, golden axe, kung fu kid, mean bean machine, opa opa (fantasy zone2), penguin land, putt and putter, quartet, ristar, snail maze, sonic chaos, sonic drift2, sonic spinball, sonic triple trouble, super columns, tails adventures and the ninja

Playing it hand held is pretty terrible quality to be honest with you, the small screen leaves the games in a stretched resolution and is very pixelated. The tv output is much better giving the games the classic feel, however you are stuck at a no grater distance than 2 meters from your tv.

I have had a few games reset and play dodgy in the quick run through of games, not sure what happened but I guess its just from the cheap build.

For interest I opened up the unit in hope of finding a micro sd with the rom's on there but failed hard :(

Overall this is a fun little unit, I wouldn't suggest buying it if you like to play hand held as the quality is so bad. But if you don't mind sitting close to the tv on a rainy day for some sega fun then this might interest you. In saying that I think it is possibly a bit too highly priced for what you get.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  2. InsaneFurball

InsaneFurball Member

It's ALEX KIDD!!! Not Alex THE Kid.

Im sorry, but that's one thing that grates on me. :lol:

3. OP
    OP
    t00|

t00| Member

my bad, after all these years never even noticed that ;)

Posted a better review up for you all ;)

4. Sundarjee77

Sundarjee77 Member

Is the TV out cable just an svid or composite RCA cable or some random one? You can get cheap cables from places like deal extreme if you dont want to sit 2m from your TV.

5. Franc

Franc Member

May as well order the unit from DX, i think they sell something very similar