1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

AT too ATX

Discussion in 'Modding' started by silenthunter, Apr 4, 2003.

1. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

I've got this old server case that woud be cool for air flow for my main box, only problem is its AT. Would there be any major dramas with converting it and does anyone know of and tutorials on the subject?

2. Opteron

Opteron Member

it would cost more than a lianli case to do what you want.

3. CrYpTo

CrYpTo Member

it would be pritty simple, just take out the power switch and psu and put a ATX one in and thats it, i cant really say more because all cases are different, just try and hope for the best

4. C4P741N

C4P741N Member

That and hack a hole out in the back for all the k/b, mouse, USB, etc. ports. You can either just cut the hole and have some empty space or try to get the hole right so the I/O shield will fit.

5. OP
    OP
    silenthunter

silenthunter Member

Ok you tell me where i can get a lianli for $0 coz thats how much this will cost me:). Ok one more question, are the screw holes in the same postion on an AT mobo tray, as they are on an ATX one?

6. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

you mean like this?

[​IMG]

pretty shit house, i know.
    i blame it on the way the serial ports were aligned on the back of the case.

what i did eventually was to remove the back off an old ATX case and screw it on.

[​IMG]

cleaned it up a little bit, but still shit. :(

and then there was the mobo tray.
    the holes from the AT tray didn't line up with my mobo, so i got the tray out of an ATX case and screwed it directly to the original mobo tray of the AT tower.

[​IMG]

i didn't like the way it turned out so i just gave up.
    i still have the tower. maybe one day i'll fix it up.

good luck. :D

7. star882

star882 Member

8. OP
    OP
    silenthunter

silenthunter Member

thanks for the link star882:)

9. d_hall

d_hall Member

You can download the ATX specifications as a PDF document (go Google) - that will give you a whole bunch of measurements for the distances between standoffs/backplane etc that you can use to get the ATX panel in the right place relative to the PCI/ISA slots.

Alternatively, it may be easier to pick up a cheap ATX case with a removable mobo tray and fit that as one unit. If you only want the tray you may pick up a case with some scratches and dents pretty cheap.

ooh - nice link star882: I never though of doing that with an AT power switch :)

10. Mr_Roadkill

Mr_Roadkill Member

It's your own box. There's nothing to stop you putting the mobo in using non-standard techniques.

Many ATX mobos are the same physical dimensions as AT mobos but rotated 90 degrees. An oddball approach to fitting ATX boards in AT boxes might be to mount the ATX board rotated 90 degrees from its usual orientation. You'll still need to put some custom standoffs in there to take the board though.

There is one small problem with this idea, though.
    The cards and i/o will not be facing the rear. The solution?
    Make short cables to run from them to rear of the case - perhaps even to sockets mounted in slot covers, where appropriate.

I have an empty IBM PC Model 5150 case (the original one, with the cassette interface and the 1" slot spacing instead of the XT/AT 0.8" spacing :cool: ) in my laundry at the moment, and I've discovered that I can fit an ATX mobo in there if I turn it around and upside-down. Weird? You betcha. But it should save a lot of metalwork, and leave the back looking original. And with a Model M keyboard and a late 80's IBM mouse, and perhaps even an IBM 17" monitor if I can find one at a reasonable price, it'll be a nice little "sleeper".