Atari Box

Discussion in 'Game Consoles' started by Reaper, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Reaper

Reaper Member

https://www.ataribox.com/

I don't know what to really say right now. They do have a ton of names and franchises to release their own games.

2. clonex

clonex Member

is this going to be some new generation console or a mini nes type release.

either way:thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    Reaper

Reaper Member

Rumour is x86 hardware, current gen spec. Eh, we'll see.

4. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

wood finish on a console? that's so 70s!

5. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

New release. I think it's really stupid honestly. They'll be targeting the Sony/Microsoft duopoly which will be near on impossible to break into (I say duopoly because Nintendo doesn't compete within standard market). They've got to get a whole lot of ducks in a row before they start.

6. power

power Member

I saw this announcement and felt 0 buzz, and I owned an Atari 2600, 800XL, 520ST, and still own an XE and a 1040STE so I'm kind of in the target market I guess (??). I mean it's just so damn vague and we've had that rubbish little aio thing for so long that pumping out their old games in a new box is just the least exciting thing they could do - if that's what they are planning.

Happy to be proven wrong but so many ppl have been milking Atari for far too long for any excitement to be left in us.

7. clonex

clonex Member

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  8. power

power Member

9. power

power Member

So 2 weeks?

hmmm

[​IMG]

10. ndt

ndt Member

didn't they do this before with the Jaguar? Launched right in the middle of SNES and sega megadrive? Even with its better hardware still didn't do well.

I can't imagine atari having anything that would make people move from xbox\PS especially with them both already having established online communities

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  11. power

power Member

best we could hope for is something like the OUYA, and even though that thing wasn't terrible it had a niche that's for sure.

12. power

power Member

this is just another render

wtf is this? Oh and my 2c, it's ugly af in the renders - the original looks about a thousand times better. Who knows what this thing will be so far it's a nothing.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  13. power

power Member

so this just went downhill even worse.

reports of a rumoured crowdfunding effort for this thing. GGF Atari.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-07-17-first-look-at-ataris-newest-console

14. ndt

ndt Member

15. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Wouldn't mind using the old joystick, but Atari would need to make their own internal games (like Nintendo does) that is exclusive to them, and don't just re-play old games, they need to really make it based off old games, but for today's times.

Because I really can't see myself playing missile command at 1080p with a box building and a diagonal line.

They'll need to make exclusive games, like frogger, pitfal, moon patrol, asteroids etc etc but if they are wanting people to fund the console, then the likely hood of that happening is very low.

16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I poked them on Facebook and asked if it would be another "ARM CPU, emulation box". I was told assuredly that this would be "totally different".

Not sure what "totally different" means. MIPS CPU and emulation box? x86 CPU and emulation box?

Either way, I'm kind of over the hype they're trying to drum up. Just get the damned thing to market already. Emulation isn't magical any more, and people just want a legal way to easily play games without fucking around.

The RetroUSB guys did an awesome job with their AVS console (FPGA NES). You can play real hardware NES games, and the console "knows" how to pluck the high scores or speedruns out of certain games. From there, you can upload them to a score boards online. Adding that sort of functionality is a great way to extend these old games and add a bit of community around them.

If Atari could combine that with some good user forums, they've got a winner. But if they're going to take months to crowdfund something an RPi can already do for half the price, then they've already lost.

17. power

power Member

elvis' prediction for the future of this device!

18. elvis

Heh, maybe.

The NES Mini trumped an RPi setup by making ease of use and save states fall-off-a-log easy. They also capitalised on existing controllers, making them pin-compatible with Wii/WiiU classic controllers. Anyone with a bit of Linux know-how could easily have made an equivalent, but that's a fraction of the population.

If you just want to play Atari games on your computer, you can do that already via archive.org for free:
    https://archive.org/details/atari_2600_library

This AtariBox seems to be offering USB for controls. What interests me, however, is that they've said 4 USB ports will be on offer. That makes me wonder... what Atari games were 4 player? The one that comes to mind is the arcade version of Gauntlet. And if they're offering Atari arcade games on top of console games as some sort of uber-collection, then perhaps it could be worth it after all?

But either way, enough with the mystery and hype. Just show us your bloody intentions already. Emulation boxes aren't new, and there's no wow-factor to capitalise on any more. Delays are just causing people to lose interest, and that's a death knell in the attention economy.

19. power

power Member

I actually think USB ports is a big mistake people want wireless controllers.

20. elvis

whynotboth.jpg

Seriously though, this whole "maybe arcade emulation too?" thought process has my brain running wild. 3 player "Sprint" with a wheel for each person? "3D Race Drivin'", "Hydro Thunder", or "San Francisco Rush" with a wheel (and/or force feedback)?

MOTHERFLIPPIN "STAR WARS" WITH A YOKE?

See, now I've set myself up for disappointment.