Athlon woes

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Sperm, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Sperm

Sperm Member

Just recently I finally let go of my old home computer and upgraded.

Old System: Athlon 500 (Slot A), 256MB ram, TNT2 video, 20GB hdd, dvd reader, etc

New System: Athlon 64 3200+, 512MB ram, 9600XT video, 2x120GB SATA raid, etc

I had promised my old system to my nephews so that can play 'kinder' type games.....

However, after spending oodles of cash on the new system, and in the process of change over (I build systems myself) the old system stopped working. I think it was when I broke the cardinal rule of removing power to the power supply before disconnecting the motherboard supply (even when the machine is off)

So now the old machine doesnt work !
    I can power on with the power switch, the cpu fan powered from a header works, the cdrom will eject, and the fan on the agp video card spins ..... However, the monitor just stays in standby mode. I recall when it worked, it used to give one beep at startup, now it doesnt

Ive tried swapping other power supplies, memory, video cards, and the monitor works on other computers etc

Im guessing either the cpu or the motherboard has been fried. However without another slot A system to test parts on Im shooting in the dark !

Any suggestions anyone ?

(Apologies if anyone notices this is cross-posted from zgeek - its my usual hangout)

2. DDsD

DDsD @DDsD

You sure its not the monitor? ;) :lol:

The other thing is it might have nuked the video card in *some* way, try removing it reseating it etc etc, and if all else fails, replacing it.

If you can source a PCI video card, it will determine whether it is the video or some part of the AGP slot causing trouble (power to the card might be ok, but the data lines might be broken in some way..)

3. OP
    OP
    Sperm

Sperm Member

tried the monitor, it works fine as a second screen on the new pc
    tried reseating all components, including the video card.
    also tried a gforce4 MX440, and an old pci card

thanks for the suggestions, others are welcome to suggest things to see if I havent tried them yet. :)

4. Murder1

Murder1 Member

Tried a BIOS reset?

5. Sinix

Sinix Member

you may have fried it, what makes me say this, is because your not getting any beeps during the post.

try resetting the bios if that dosent work take everything out, sound card / network card any other device and leave the bare minimum in and see how you go. Also disconnect your drives (incase the power supply cant give them enough juice)

Edit:
    If your running the monitor through the power supply dont, use a different cable and plug it into an outlet

Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
  6. OP
    OP
    Sperm

Sperm Member

bios reset ?
    havent done one of those before .....

can i just pull the cmos battery, or do i have to troll
    through the manual, or squint at the mobo for the tiny writing for the jumper ?

whats the usual procedure ?
    power off, set jumper
    power on, wait a few seconds
    power off, remove jumper
    power on and cross fingers

correct ?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
  7. commando

commando Member

Yep, removing the CMOS battery for a while will reset the BIOS :)

Usually there is are 2 pins that will reset t he BIOS if shorted, but the battery thign works fine too

8. Murder1

Murder1 Member

Remember to take the power header off the motherboard! After turning the power supply off ofcourse :D

9. LaRgO

LaRgO Member

I had same problem on 2 motherboards, one of them I was lucky enough by just buying a new cmos battery (left other one out while buying new one, maybe it wasnt in need of new one)- the second one however the motherboard was gone, my guess is one of the 2, most likely the motherboard is cooked, socket a motherboards for your 550 should be very cheap, less than $30 on the 'for sale' forum, or try to go to 'wanted to buy' and offer that ;D

10. OP
    OP
    Sperm

Sperm Member

Update: Ive managed to source a motherboard similiar to the one installed, once Ive had it delivered hopefully things should go better .....