ATI Catalyst 9.8 Software Suite Available Now!

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 15, 2009.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

But not from ATI yet....

[​IMG]

Windows XP Users:
    ATI Catalyst 9.8 Software Suite WinXP 64-bit
    ATI Catalyst 9.8 Software Suite WinXP 32-bit

Windows Vista and Windows 7 Users:
    ATI Catalyst 9.8 Software Suite Vista/7 64-bit
    ATI Catalyst 9.8 Software Suite Vista/7 32-bit

Official download page: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

ATI Catalyst 9.8 Hotfix for Windows7 & Vista / ATI Catalyst 9.8 Hotfix for Windows XP

Grab it from here: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Hotfixfor3DGames.aspx

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. Eagertman

Eagertman Member

Do you have any idea if these are beta's?

EDIT: Looks the goods.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  3. mrpiccolod

mrpiccolod Member

lol I just updated to 9.7 last night :rolleyes:

4. $3@N

$3@N (Banned or Deleted)

And how do TPU get these a day or two early?!

Oh sweet gonna be trying these out on my lanbox

5. [Capo]

[Capo] Member

Some details on this release;

This month we are seeing a massive performance increase with a whole host of games as compared to the ATI Catalyst 9.7 driver. Detailed release notes are available for most of the game optimizations; here are the highlights:

* Battleforge DirectX 10/DirectX 10.1 performance improves of up to 50% with the largest gains in configurations using ATI CrossFireX™ technology.
    * Company of Heroes DirectX 10 performance improves of up to 77%.
    * Crysis DirectX 10 performance of ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode improves of up to 10% and quad mode performance improves of up to 34%.
    * Crysis Warhead DirectX 10 performance of ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode improves of up to 7% and quad mode performance improves of up to 69%.
    * Far Cry 2 DirectX 10 performance of ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode improves of up to 50% and quad mode performance improves of up to 88%.
    * Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X. DirectX 10/DirectX 10.1 performance of ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode improves of up to 40% and with quad mode performance improving of up to 60%.
    * UnigineTropics OpenGL performance improvements of up to 20%.
    * UnigineTropics DirectX 10 performance of ATI CrossFireX technology in quad mode improvements of up to 20%.
    * World in Conflict DirectX 10 performance improvements of up to by 10%.

It’s fitting that last weekend AMD was in attendance at Quakecon 2009 in Dallas,Texas where the world’s most prolific OpenGLsupporters gathered for 4 days of ‘peace, love and rockets,’ that we are announcing support for OpenGL 3.1 and the following details:

This release of the ATI Catalyst driver provides OpenGL 3.1 extension support. The following is a list of OpenGL 3.1 features and extensions added in ATI Catalyst 9.8:

* Support for OpenGL Shading Language 1.30 and 1.40.
    * Instanced rendering with a per-instance counter accessible to vertex shaders (GL ARB draw instanced).
    * Data copying between buffer objects (GL EXT copy buffer).
    * Primitive restart (NV primitive restart). Because client enable/disable no longer exists in OpenGL 3.1, the PRIMITIVE RESTART state has become server state, unlike the Nvidia extension where it is client state. As a result, the numeric values assigned to PRIMITIVE RESTART and PRIMITIVE RESTART INDEX differ from the NV versions of those tokens. o At least 16 texture image units must be accessible to vertex shaders, in addition to the 16 already guaranteed to be accessible to fragment shaders.
    * Texture buffer objects (GL ARB texture buffer object).
    * Rectangular textures (GL ARB texture rectangle). o Uniform buffer objects (GL ARB uniform buffer object).
    * SNORM texture component formats.

And last but surely not least, my favorite community: ATI Catalyst™ 9.8 driver for Linux!

Support for new Linux operating systems
    This release of ATI Catalyst driver for Linux introduces support for the following new operating systems:

* RHEL 4.8 production support
    * Ubuntu 9.04 production support

ATI Catalyst™ Control Center - Linux Edition support for RandR 1.2 This release of the ATI Catalyst driver for Linux introduces ATI Catalyst Control Center - Linux Edition support for the RandR 1.2 extension API. The following new features are now available in the ATI Catalyst Control Center - Linux Edition Display Manager:

* Display rotation
    * Multiple display arrangement and desktop sizing

Via http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=7641

6. TaroT

TaroT Member

7. anthony256

anthony256 Member

Nevermind, link works now? lol

8. Power47

Power47 Member

i updated to 9.7 the other day and it caused massive artifacting on games and 3d mark, so i just went back whatever i had before, it works so thats all i care about

9. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Non-beta. Official 9.8's...

10. Eagertman

Eagertman Member

Probably because it screwed with your fan 'ramping'.

Best way to fix it on all cards is with ATI Radeon Bios Editor. You can get it from techpowerup.com

EDIT: Make sure you save your original BIOS and put it somewhere safe, in case you need to do an RMA or replacement one day. Naturally they won't RMA a card with an edited bios.

11. Untaag

Untaag Member

Catalyst control centre hasn't worked for me on this release or the past two. No idea what the problem is :(

12. terroristone

terroristone Member

hahaha i did as well. i went from 8.3
    Andrew

13. snappy1

snappy1 Member

Andrew if you went from 8.3 to 9.7 cats you would be noticing big differences in gaming

14. AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar Member

9.7 has caused BSOD's and crashes for me, first time I've ever gotten crashes just from a driver update, every other update has been solid. Hopefully these will fix :)

15. snappy1

snappy1 Member

Agreed Aussie, i got fantastic performance out of the 9.7's until they crashed in about 4 of 10 games I am playing atm, performance was great, stability was poor

16. terroristone

terroristone Member

sorry my mistake, i had only just woken up, i ment 9.3.
    Andrew

17. Alba

Alba Member

OMG these drivers are phenomenal. When they say xfire improvements they weren't kidding. I dont think I have ever seen any real performance boost from any past driver, but this is making my head spin.
    Just installed the 9.8 over the top of the 9.7's and I thought I'd run FC2 bench to compare. Didn't expect much if any improvement TBH, but right now I'm still pinching myself. First I though WOW, then I though I must have set something lower or maybe DX9 instead of DX10, but nope, it's all the same, this is the actual result and it's massive.
    I know your all gonna think that's not possible, and believe me, I'm looking at the result and I still can't believe it.

Both are done with 3 x 4890 and i7 @ 4GHz

On the left is 9.7 cats and on the right we have the magic drivers 9.8 cats(more like Lions). Just look at the Min FPS

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. Team.AU

Team.AU Member

/me looks at 3dmark

19. terroristone

terroristone Member

i just installed these, i didn't even have time to test the 9.7's but i have noticed around 50fps more in CSS.
    Andrew

20. r3s

r3s Member

what about crysis alba?