1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

ATI Radeon HD 6000 Series | 6990 6970 6950 6870 6850 | Discussion | See OP!!

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

Hey TOX AMD has lowered the AF quality with their latest 10.10 drivers on Barts and Cypress (and gained performance).

Is this something you noticed? Did you get any word about this from AMD?

2. roweysvn

roweysvn Member

Picked up a Gigabyte 6870 a few days back. Wanting to keep an eye on temperatures and so forth, what program would be my best bet? Or should I just go to the ATI Overdrive Page in the Catalyst Control Center?

3. OP
    OP
    DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Grab MSI's Afterburner, or GPU-Z. Both allow logging and monitoring of min/max temperatures and a variety of settings.

4. roweysvn

roweysvn Member

Thanks for the suggestion, they work great :)

5. bartman04

bartman04 Member

So far mixed results with xfire 6850's.
    The good - The short runs of Borderlands seems to be smooth gaming at 1900x1200 with everything on high. Overclocking just on CCC set to 950 on both cards easily with no voltage tweak. I have just worked out how to turn on the Asus GamerOSD so I will see what FPS I get soon.
    The Bad - Struggling to verify that xfire is working as it should. The version of Vantage I have crashes with these cards. Asus Smart Doctor seems a bit flakey.
    I have downloaded the Guru3D Afterburner so may ditch Asus Smart Doctor for it. Was there a config setting that needed to be changed to enable voltage tweak?

6. flopper

flopper Member

7. bartman04

bartman04 Member

Thanks

Unfortunately this is not an entirely happy experience, I got the Asus GamerOSD running and did a couple of runs in Borderlands and found that there was virtually no difference in FPS with xfire enabled. So that means either xfire is busted in Borderlands or xfire is busted on my PC. Xfire has just worked for me in the past but I get the feeling that this time round it is going to give me problems. When I quit out of Borderlands after running with xfire it took a while for PC to become responsive. I think I am entering the ATI driver hell zone that some people seem to go through, not a happy place. :(

Haven't got too many games left on my PC as I cleaned it up recently and Vantage doesn't work so thought I would fire up Singularity, with or without xfire and at stock clocks it was really jerky in a lot of places. I think my drivers are screwed. :thumbdn:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
  8. TOX

TOX Member

Why are you not just using MSI Afterburner?

Also I had trouble with the voltage adjustment under TRIXX on Crossfire, maybe CF overclocking isn't playing so nice atm

9. bartman04

bartman04 Member

Just pulled the cards out and swapped them around and also tried a new xfire connector, just in case. Booted up and have lost any ability to select crossfire from CCC. Gues it looks like I will be uninstalling drivers again and running drive sweeper again. Just wondering if I should install just one card first before I re-install drivers. At the moment I just want to get this thing stable, as buggy as Fallout Vegas is that now crashes pretty much as soon as you start playing it. ATM I am wondering why I didn't buy that GTX 480, starting to feel like I have wasted a bit of money on these cards.

10. master phi

master phi Member

Welcome to the world of multi gpu :)

Why don't you just put a single card in first? Did they change CCC? I don't remember there being a crossfire option in it unless they made one in the latest one. Also why are you OCing it if its not even stable yet?

By the way when your computer took at while to be responsive did you notice if your ati drivers crashed or not? If they did, definitely driver problem. If they didn't I would be looking at your ram first. Speaking of ram you are using x64 windows 7 right? :D

11. HWMB

HWMB Member

Have you have xifre cards on this mobo before? Or ATI/AMD for that matter?

Considering the age of some of your components, I would be running some tests on it first to check out to see if you have any stability or memory error issues that may be causing some problems. Just because another card or type of card appeared to run fine doesn't mean with the current setup you have that there are not any system problems.

If you do find something take it back to stock clocks and see if your problems still exist.

May indeed by nothing but its worth checking it out before you send yourself nuts with card swapping mayhem.

12. bartman04

bartman04 Member

Vista 32 bit.
    I overclocked the cards as they appeared to be stable at one point but as soon as I had real problems I dropped them back to stock. I have got it stable now after uninstalling then drive sweeper and installed the Asus branded drivers that were on the disc with using one card only. I have now swapped for the other card and that too is stable by itself so I will now shut down again and put the two in together and see if I have stability with xfire.
    Here's hoping.

Yes, this has been running rock solid with 2 x 4850's for ages.

Looks like I have got it sorted Yay! Now stable with xfire. Not sure why it took three times uninstalling drivers and running drive sweeper to get it working, could have been Asus Smart Doctor or something I really don't know. I can't see the Asus supplied drivers being too much different to the standard ATI ones. Just happy that it is finally working as I have spent the past two evenings messing around with it.
    Maybe tomorrow I can actually get Vantage to run and might even be able to crank up the clocks a bit but I think I will try Afterburner for that. :thumbup:

Vantage still doesn't like me but it isn't the latest version so no big deal. Just ran Fraps in Borderlands and I assume that it is locked to vsync as I was at pretty much 60fps the whole time not much in the way of dips. This is starting to look a lot better.

13. master phi

master phi Member

Ok here is your first problem. VISTA :)

Now your 2nd problem. 32 bit has max of 4GB of ram. That means your video card/s are taking up 2GB already even though they are mirrored. That doesn't leave much.

I have no idea why people do not use a minimum of 4GB of ram for their OS these days. I think your main problem is ram.

Hell my windows 7 x64 uses 2GB of ram with just firefox with 6 tabs open, steam, some other various tiny programs and thats just me on desktop mode.

Borderlands is locked to 60fps unless you change it in the ini settings.

You really don't know much about the games you are playing do you? :S How do you expect to diagnose a problem if you don't even know how the game setting values are? Not that I blame you but it doesn't make sense to use fraps when you can draw the fps in game without fraps which can skew the real fps value.

14. Alba

Alba Member

Agreed, if he can't get W7 then use XP, but Vista is (insert bad words), and a 32bit OS these days is just not good enough if you wanna do more than surf.
    Glad you got it sorted, but vista 32 is your biggest issue I would say.

Mine also uses 2Gb just at idle. Firefox open with 2 tabs and incredimail, that's it.

Click to view full size!

15. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

Odd, mine is only sitting at 1.34gb, I have Firefox with 4 tabs, Winamp and MSN open. - I also use a 16gb Corsair flash drive for ready boost.
    Regardless, Windows seems to use more memory than it actually does, this is due to the caching it does (Superfetch.) - However if a program needs the memory it will scale back it's foot print to free it up.

[​IMG]

I've seen a Vista install on a rig with only 512mb of ram, and it's footprint was only about 300 or so megabytes, however it wasn't exactly the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

I say ditch Vista and go straight to Windows 7, lighter on the ram and the HDD. :)

16. bartman04

bartman04 Member

Don't think the OS was the issue, but now I have the drivers sorted I have stability back and xfire is working really well.
    Anyway, day off work so time to see what these cards can do.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  17. /\/\usE+

/\/\usE+ Member

yeah good luck with that :D

18. bartman04

bartman04 Member

Yes why not, there are some people on here that are really helpful.

19. /\/\usE+

/\/\usE+ Member

OK, I'll ellaborate.

Some people on here are really helpful. You just, in a few posts above, belittled several of them. :) All the while saying you work in IT, know better than them but still need to post up in here to rectify a simple driver issue.

I just found it funny, thats all :Pirate:

Have A Nice Day!

20. bartman04

bartman04 Member

No Worries, just edited my post in light of what you are saying.
    Apologies to all for my off topic posts on my driver issues.

So Muse, more on topic, do you have one of the 68xx cards or are you hanging out for the 69xx series?