1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

ATI Radeon HD 6000 Series | 6990 6970 6950 6870 6850 | Discussion | See OP!!

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Bertross

Bertross Member

LOL whatever that means!!!! SHANE!!!! teaser! :D:thumbup:

2. TOX

TOX Member

It's me trying to say NOP with 10 char limit :p

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

Try sounding it out aloud.

4. Bertross

Bertross Member

Oh lol, now it makes sense. Ive been refreshing tweaktown all day to!

5. Alba

Alba Member

That's when you know your addicted.
    You should see a doctor and get a patch:D

6. Bertross

Bertross Member

I haven't said how many times i refresh this website either ! :eek: Probably 10 fold tweak town. Im really sick i think, might hide in my PC room and game for a month! and forget about 6990 for a bit.

7. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

yeah +1 on the last bunch of replies - top teir cards have gotten cheaper in the last decade not more expensive.

I remember my 8800GTX was $600
    My 5870 was $600
    etcetera

general upgrading topiccy rant: :)
    For me, early adpoting the nehalem platform, and then the 58xx series, I have more then sufficient power at my fingertips for quite sometime. I'll be sitting back and watching as the 6xxx series and its competitor do it out, evaluate the trends, then heavy review the next release for the company which is doing better then the other at the time, then get another card, another psu, then wait out sandybridge, then upgrade my core platform, thus the cycle continues *wipes tear*

With that said, and that assumes Intel still smash AMD for processing platforms throughout the future, it could be that I switch to AMD in a few years time, I dunno :D

So far though my early adoption trends have been totally kick ass. woot me

8. Shreaver

Shreaver Member

I just hope the drivers do the cards some freakin' justice...

9. anthony256

anthony256 Member

Only because those things you bought were unmatched...

Intel's Core i7

Both great buys - ONLY because there's no competition.

The 5870 is great, but if the 480 had come out a month after... then it would not have seemed so great, it was ONLY good and STILL only good because it nabbed all the holiday sales and then all the people who got sick of waiting for NVIDIA to bring something out amongst their lies.

The same can be said for NVIDIA - it's no use coming in here saying something so trivial as driver issues... both sides have issues.

10. Shreaver

Shreaver Member

Really? I don't think driver issues are trivial at all. At least not for the ati. Guess it depends on who you are and what you're doing.

11. bob05

bob05 Member

You know, i think someone should go make a sticky thread on how to install drivers properly, i mean it really aint hard to do a proper install of either nvidia or amd drivers. Most people just do the basic uninstall followed by a full install with new drivers, which is exactly how you get driver conflicts and problems occuring.

12. Shreaver

Shreaver Member

That is true. But, in my case, I did a complete uninstall of drivers. When I reinstalled the latest drivers, there were issues with idle clock speeds.

But anyway, I seem to have veered the thread into a different direction... My bad.

13. Voltus

Voltus Member

Hardware advancements push software advancements and vice versa, I recall when people would upgrade for the "latest game" like Crysis and your system was judged on that cutting edge game, the hardware would then follow that could run it at a playable level with eye candy. I guess Games like Metro2033 and Futuremark is a good example of the hardware /software curve. Eva2000 said something on the forums a few years ago I recall that when people start scoring around 12k+ in futuremark they are usually at a point where hardware has caught up with the software and a new benchmark is already on the way.

My point is that once you start playing games that require the grunt it may be a good time to refresh your upgrade cycle, I find myself it is usually 2 years however some people its 1 year or even 6 months.

I am currently at my 2 year cycle however I will probably wait till after christmas to see the refresh period settle down and be able to make a more informed decision on prce/performance.

Like I always tell anyone regarding upgrades, if your computer isn't frustrating you, its fine..
    Saying that to an enthusiast however is a different story :p But we only take up a small part of the market.

14. Shreaver

Shreaver Member

Eh...I just buy a new computer every 2 or so years. Good enough for me.

15. TOX

TOX Member

I just do upgrades as I go along

Really for the most part, outside of the video card, nothing will improve gaming performance more.

So if gamings the main thing you do, just upgrade your video card when something worth replacing it with comes out.

16. Shreaver

Shreaver Member

I made the mistake of buying my 5870 without researching. Ultimately, my system was bottle-necking the performance of the GPU. There'll probably be some kind of bottlenecks around in all systems, but you really don't want your GPU to be bottle-necked.

17. flopper

flopper Member

+1

2 year going, i7 still is good enough.
    ssd is the best upgrade I made in the last 2 years.

Likely the series willl be,
    Cayman: 1920 SPU / 96 TMU / 48 ROP
    Barts: 1280 SPU / 64 TMU / 32 ROP
    Turks: 640SPU / 32 TMU / 16 ROP
    http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=73614&postcount=884

Performance seems to be worth it for a upgrade single card wise.
    Overclocking one makes it a nice card.

18. DarknRahl

DarknRahl Member

If nvidia can get their act together and have something competitive out by July next year I'll be a happy man, as a month or two after that I'm doing a complete rebuild and would like a little competition driving prices down.

SSDs should be another step up in performance and drop in price by then as well... *smacks lips in expectation*

19. RnR

RnR Member

And by July next year NI rumours and news begin to filter out from the magical world of AMD-land ;)

There is always something better around the corner :thumbup:

20. DarknRahl

DarknRahl Member

Oh I know, it is purely financial though. Still a student, I'll be gainfully employed come the second half of next year.

Either way I'll be getting a sli/crossfire compatible mobo and buying a decent near top of the line processor for once so should hopefully be more future-proof than my usual builds and upgrades.

Anyway, enough off topicness. :D