ATLAS

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by joerandom, Dec 10, 2018.

1. joerandom

joerandom Member

How has this not a thread?
    looks good.... looks!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/834910/ATLAS/

ATLAS: The ultimate survival MMO of unprecedented scale with 40,000+ simultaneous players in the same world. Join an endless adventure of piracy & sailing, exploration & combat, roleplaying & progression, settlement & civilization-building, in one of the largest game worlds ever! Explore, Build, Conquer!

MMO On the Grandest Scale

Physically sail in real-time across the vast oceans with the proprietary server network technology. Explorers will voyage to over 700 unique landmasses across 45,000 square kilometers, with thousands of Discovery Zones, and ten distinct world regions each having their own unique resources, creatures, secrets, and environment hazards! There is a separately PVE ATLAS for players who don't wish to play any PVP.

Construct the Ship of Your Dreams, Plank by Plank!

Build drydocks and start with a dinghy rowboat, basic raft, tiny sloop or nimble schooner, moving on up to your own versatile brigantine or titanic galleon capable of transporting hundreds of crew and extensive cargo. Name your ship in big bold letters, paint and copy your own pirate flag and custom-place all the pieces of your ship -- which sails and where, planks and gunports, every single structure piece has a physical Weight and Material -- to function exactly how you want.

Anyway my 2C
    It will be a laggy piece of shit because ARK survival Devs doing it.

2. r8response

r8response Member

ARK devs

Yep. Setting sails for nopesville

walker_2003, Pinkeh and joerandom like this.
  3. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Just like ARK it is expected to be in Early Access for 2 years:

Why Early Access?
    “ATLAS is one of the most ambitious online worlds of all time and while everything we have listed in the feature section will be there around Early Access launch, we are going to need the feedback, insight, and creativity of the game players to build on that foundation and balance the game optimally over a period of time.”
    Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
    “ATLAS will be an Early Access title for approximately 2 years.”
    How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
    “ATLAS is going to better balanced, and have even more content and features than the initial game driven by player feedback and whatever direction players desire to see the game evolve in.”
    What is the current state of the Early Access version?
    “Everything in the features section will be there around Early Access Launch and the game will be an unparalleled massively multiplayer experience from Day One.”
    Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
    “ATLAS will increase in price when the game is fully launched.”
    How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
    “We'll be taking feedback from players across multiple social platforms, conducting livestreams, open-forums and hosting events where we can meet players in person and gather their feedback.”

Colour me interested though, Despite it's bugs, have spent many an hour in ARK> nothing like good multiplayer survival with friends.
    The bigger scope of the map and player count could be interesting.

4. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Wild card are definitely developers I have no problem throwing cash at even with a 2 year Early access period. ARK was brilliant, did they get right every time, No. But they did a bloody good job and updates were constant.

This will be a insta-buy for the misses and I

5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Launch delayed by a few days.
    New extended gameplay trailer out:

6. OP
    OP
    joerandom

joerandom Member

As someone still playing ark today, I won't be touching ATLAS. Sure ARK is good, but it's unfinished and buggy as hell. There was a lot of lies and I still put up with laggy as fuck official servers that can't handle 12 people online.. 40k? hahahahahahahah. Watch the reviews be mostly negative come today!

7. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Nopeville.

ARK devs = early access hell + buggy mess. Then move on to new title when money dries up.

joerandom likes this.
  8. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

The game is made by Grapeshot Games, who are a sister-studio to Wildcard.
    https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/articles.html/a-message-from-studio-wildcard-r1047/
    Yesterday streamers using the pre-launch "streamer server" ATLAS seemed pretty good, if you liked Ark/survival you will like this - very familiar but seems more polished and detailed.
    I hear the launch servers are overwhelmed today though.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  9. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I'm watching some streamers now and they can't even get into the servers.

10. OP
    OP
    joerandom

joerandom Member

Well i hate to be right, but MOSTLY NEGATIVE on steam.

Apparently it's such a bad port, steal of ark there is folders in the game directory called ScorchedEarth and Aberration. What a fucking fail.

walker_2003 likes this.
  11. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Ark's first week was a pile of shit. It got better real quick.

12. r8response

r8response Member

You'll love this....

https://clips.twitch.tv/IronicClearQuailRlyTho

Using an xbox controller in the main menu, allows you to open an options panel from Ark

joerandom and walker_2003 like this.
  13. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Made by ark devs that's a solid nope. Will leave early access in a buggy unoptimised incomplete state. They with ark set the bar very low for what is deemed acceptable as '1.0'

I'll keep eye on it and happy to be proven wrong but doubt I will.

Obviously is people who love ark and can see past the plethora of issues but I expect more for my money. It's so hard to be immersed in a buggy world with as bad AI behaviour and pathing as fallout 76.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    joerandom likes this.
  14. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Overwhelmingly negative on steam :p

joerandom likes this.
  15. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Eh, if people thought this was going to be anything more than "ARK Pirates" then they were kidding themselves. You could tell from the trailers.
    Also it's clearly labelled Early Access and is expected to be for two years. If it was simply ARK re-skinned the game would be less buggy state than it is.
    Community is less forgiving these days and impatient, probably because they are sick of existing titles.

Hopefully they will get the servers sorted, the map is insanely huge. It will be interesting if they can get the massive player count tech under control.
    Devs are working through Xmas to get on top of things.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  16. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I played it briefly. Ran like shit. Needs AU servers. I guess its not the end of the world.

17. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

18. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I was gonna get it refunded but then I was like eh. Just leave it on the shame pile and come back after Xmas. Should at least be playable in AU then.

19. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Changed my mind. Refunded it. Fuck that tbh. Ill rebuy it if it ever gets fixed.

walker_2003 and joerandom like this.
  20. OP
    OP
    joerandom

joerandom Member

When? I am playing ark today, it's not better.