Attention Panasonic TV Owners

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by supasaiyan, Jan 22, 2015.

1. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

When i first turn on my panasonic TV, the following banner appears across the top of the screen

Click to view full size!

I've searched the whole settings menu, googled and also read the entire instruction manual and found no way of turning it off

During the 5 seconds the banner is on the screen, you can't press anything on the remote. This kind of sucks as if the tv is on loud, and i forget to turn it down before i turn it off, next time i turn it on it's loud and i can't do anything. With a sleeping baby, it often gets us in trouble!!

Has anyone found a way to turn off this banner!?

2. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

No.. i would also want to know how to turn it off.. its the most retarded feature ive ever come across

3. OP
    OP
    supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

preaching to the choir...

4. power

power Member

tried the retailer, or indeed Panasonic?

Surely there have been complaints about this junk.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

The only other retarded feature of some tv's is going to android options page when starting the tv instead of going straight to TV. Wtf were they thinking when they come up with this stuff!??

6. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Bad TV firmware certainly isn't limited to Panasonic either. I can't stand some of the clunky bullshit that shipped with our Samsung Series 5 back in the day. Sure, the TV is 6 years old, but that's no excuse for shit software features (2008 had a lot going for it). The fact that I still use it today as my primary TV proves that they still build the hardware to last, so why the hell ship such pathetic software?

The next TV I buy will have the following;
    • Great picture
    • Superfast response/ minimum latency
    • Minimum features (no 3D, no PiP, no TV Guide (the samsung 5 TV guide is fucked! Painfully slow and thus useless!)
    • Fast/instant channel switch

Basically, all I'd be after is a large dumb, yet great looking PC monitor.

One of the worst thing about TV's is that the manufacturers never-ever update their firmware after RTM. By the time you've bought the TV on sale, the last firmware release was 6 months ago, and it fixed nothing.

7. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

I think the tv manufacturers forgot that most people just want to watch tv on their tv...

8. Hepsily

Hepsily Member

I have the same TV and i too would like to know how to get rid of it!

In a related but thread hijack type question does any one else with these tv's notice the audio getting out of sync. I run everything through a HTPC and it seems to be when channels encode the audio differently it looses sync.

9. mtma

mtma Member

They don't seem to have cottoned on to the fact that nobody is going to put content on their 'Smart TV' systems if they aren't going to do it themselves. The bigger brands unfortunately get it the worst as they want to put things into their TV's to try to differentiate themselves in this ever more competitive market, but in the end keep losing interest in keeping up the software because after they launch the model, it doesn't appear to make them money.

Thankfully though there has been a recent trend away from making the TV smart, and realising that it's better off as a display for things that people always use.

What do you mean? Beta release is a saleable release :Paranoid:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  10. adr_an

adr_an Member

This probably isn't much help but after a quick search it seems that you chose that option instead of the home screen. Maybe choose my home screen instead so you're able to turn the volume down as a trade off?

Source this link

This part here
    Or, you’ll have to reach for the Panasonic TV remote that you’d normally keep stored in a drawer and hit OK on that. Remember, this is every time you turn on the TV. Hmm… Fortunately, there’s a workaround here by selecting the Full Screen option for your Home Screen, which only flashes up a thin navigation bar with a few non-customizable buttons for about three seconds before disappearing. Unfortunately, using that option pretty much defeats the one-touch customized convenience of this feature. Another minor annoyance is the ad banner that comes up on the screen for a few moments upon boot-up. You can opt out of this in the menu, though I’d argue that forced ads like this are insulting to purchasers of a name-brand TV, and I’m convinced there’s a lot of non-technical buyers who don’t dive deep into menus and wouldn’t know they can turn this off.

11. neRok

neRok Member

I've got the last gen panasonic plasma, and with it connected to the HTPC, it pretty much is this. I leave the tv volume on 50, and then control the volume with the HTPC. I get that same bar as OP, but it isnt a problem as I push the on button and then dont touch the tv remote until I turn it off.

Is it possible to make custom firmware for tvs? I wonder how different they are between companies etc? Im thinking the equivalent of dd-wrt, but for tvs.

12. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Yeah, this got me wondering about TV Homebrew as well. I'm yet to google it in fear I'll lose hours!

13. neRok

neRok Member

Imagine the potential if it were a linux based OS, you could run Kodi/XBMC right on the TV!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  14. Zee

Zee Member

I can't wait until 4k 80" PC monitors are affordable...

Commercial grade screens, otherwise, are the only solution for now, apart from personal testing in store.

Z...

15. neoprint

neoprint Member

Yeah, chiming in as another person this drives crazy. It's a shame, as I absolutely love the TV otherwise (ST60 Plasma, mmm)

16. Renza

Renza Member

Samsungs have had custom firmware for a few years now: http://www.samygo.tv/

17. da_ilks

da_ilks Member

18. OP
    OP
    supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

19. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

20. IKT

IKT Member

Agreed, the Sony Bravia I've got is chock full of shit and is laggier than an original playstation game loading a level just to change channel.