Attention Small Business owners

Discussion in 'General Software' started by whatdoesthisdo, Oct 16, 2013.

1. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

My old man is going to have a heart attack if he keeps going the way he is and I want to try and stream line his system so he isnt working 15hrs a day.

I would like to know what software small business owners are using for invoicing and does it work well, does it have app support for on the go either apple or preferably windows rt.

1) Basically he measures at a clients house - would love to have an app so he can do this on his tablet
    2) Once job is done he invoices it using a free software package that seems to work ok but again would be perfect if he could do this on a tablet on the way back from the job

Any and all advice welcome and he has no problem paying for something good, just doesn't want to relearn something and it ending up being no benefit or worse than the current system

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

You haven't mentioned anything about the industry he's in, his annual turnover and the amount of quotes/invoices he does per day/week. Nor anything about his bank rec requirements, payroll, depreciation, etc..

But in general, Xero.com

3. OP
    OP
    whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Sorry man, TBH just learnt about this last night, I thought everything was rosy till mum had a talk with me and told me how scared she was about him.

His turnover would under $200,00k at guess, I'll find out tonight if that helps. He does probably round 10-15 quotes a week and probably 30 invoices a week.

I am pretty sure he doesn't need to worry about payroll (only one contractor) but I'll find out about the other stuff you mentioned.

Thanks for your help, I'll check out Xero.com

EDIT: Oh and he is in the building industry

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  4. NSanity

NSanity Member

Xero is the business.

But in terms of the building industry - if he's doing estimates for entire buildings/projects an' shiz, maybe look into buildlogic/buildsoft.

Neither run on a tablet, but they are far more comprehensive.

5. OPM881

OPM881 Member

My advice would either use something like iAuditor for taking the measurements then export them into excel and have a macro written up to create a quote based on the excel export you get out of iAuditor, or look into one of the billion add-ons that xero has that handle this sorta stuff. Seriously, xero is amazing, we use it in our office and sell it to our clients.

6. OP
    OP
    whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Wow this product is amazing. Already have the tick of approval from my old man after about 30 seconds.

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

7. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

There are heaps of tools your old man can use for his business. Here are a few, in no particular order, and for no particular operating system or device:

Gmail
    Streak for Gmail
    Google Drive / Google Docs
    Google Keep
    Google Calendar
    Google Contact Sync
    Evernote
    Camscanner
    Xero
    OneSaas
    Shoeboxed
    Any.do / wunderlist
    Mega (for mass file sharing)

Wielded properly, you can make your life completely organised and automated should keep him organised. Having the right tech gear is a must - he should have a good camera (if he's an auditor), decently specced android smartphone (possibly double as a good camera), tablet possibly, decent laptop, and a PC with multiple monitors.

I am a small business owner. Having the right tech can save you many many headaches. Outsourcing mundane work is a good way to alleviate stress as well. www.fiverr.com is good place to start.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  8. OP
    OP
    whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Thanks Smokin.

Over the last 4 months,I have converted him to gmail and armed him with a samsung phone and surface tablet.

I am surprised to see Xero doesn't have a quoting system, anyone got any ideas or am I just not doing it right?

9. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Try quoteroller. I've never used it but it looks handy - a lot of things in Xero have add-ons. I can't wait to use Xero myself, Saasu is giving me a headache with how archaic and rigid it's system is.