1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Audigy vs. X-Fi

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by C0B, Apr 1, 2007.

1. C0B

C0B Member

I'm about to purchase a set of logitech z-5500d speakers and am wondering whether it is worth purchasing a creative x-fi sound card or not?

I currently own a SB Audigy Value (7.1) and am basically pondering whether to purchase the Digital I/O Module for my card OR purchase an X-Fi card.

Seeing as I am using digital output, does it really matter what sound card I use?

2. Punster

Punster Member

Simple.... X-Fi, i used to own an Audigy and the X-Fi shits all over it for everything.

3. OP
    OP
    C0B

C0B Member

can u be a bit more specific?

when i started using the audigy card, i noticed a little improvement over my onboard 5.1 sound... but not much of an improvement, everything become a liiiittle bit clearer, that's it...

can i expect to hear a significant difference in sound quality with an x-fi as opposed to my audigy + Digital I/O Module? (specifically, digital output comparison)

btw, i'm currently using Logitech Z-5300e speakers, however, as I said earlier, they will be replaced with Z-5500d speakers soon.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  4. Punster

Punster Member

Well my music playback sounds much much better. Games ran better etc The over all quality has been worth every $$ over my old Audigy. This is on my Altec Lansing MX5021 system. Music and video playback sound quality are the biggest differences. It samples the data to keep it perfect, rather then re-sampling it to something crap.

5. peteypete271

peteypete271 (Banned or Deleted)

I was using the X-Fi ExtremeMusic up until the recently, I have since uninstalled and sold it. I have noticed a HUGE difference in sound quality and my Logitech speaker's now lack punch and clarity :upset:

6. OP
    OP
    C0B

C0B Member

were u using digital output or analog?

7. peteypete271

peteypete271 (Banned or Deleted)

It's all digital my friend. I don't think they'd be too much difference between an Audigy and Intel's onboard sound but there defnitely IS a difference between the stomping output of the X-Fi compared to onboard.

8. OP
    OP
    C0B

C0B Member

ok, just to be perfectly clear... u were using an optical or coaxial cable?

9. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

If you're playing games, either get the X-Fi and use analogue sound and enjoy EAX4, or buy a card with DTS-Connect and enjoy 5.1 sound through digital but with only EAX2.

If you're only using it for music just get the digital output card for your Audigy2, as it'll sound the same digitally in PCM mode anyway.

10. OP
    OP
    C0B

C0B Member

in order of priority:

1. music
    2. movies
    3. games

surely digital sound is better than analog for all of the above... why would i want to use analog if my speakers have a digital input?

(i don't mean to be rude... just constructively critical, as i'm keen to get to the bottom of this)

11. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

The Creative cards cant encode your games into a 5.1 stream (Dolby, DTS) so you'll be stuck with stereo for games via SPDIF/TOSLINK.

Otherwise Digital wins hands down.

12. OP
    OP
    C0B

C0B Member

ic, gotit :thumbup:

so i'm best off using:

digital (optical) for music (+movies??)
    and
    analog for games?

13. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

Yep that sounds right to me.

Cant the Audigy output a digital signal through Coax without the need for a daughterboard? The Z-5500 has a coax spdif input btw.

14. OP
    OP
    C0B

C0B Member

I don't think so... I don't know the exact terminology, but the Audigy looks to have a "headphone-like socket" (3.5mm i think), whereas the z5500 has an "RCA style" input?

I could of course be totally wrong about this... but i'd need some special type of cable wouldn't i?

Z5500
    http://www.dearhoney.idv.tw/Speakers/Z-680/pic05.jpg

Audigy Value
    http://images.creative.com/iss/images/products/headers/prod14189_hdr_1_6_1.jpg

15. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

16. OP
    OP
    C0B

C0B Member

yes, i'm well aware of that. the question that i set out asking is whether the Digital output is better from my audigy OR an x-fi...

"does digital output vary between these two cards, and if so, is it worth purchasing an x-fi card"

17. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

Hmmm read your own thread much?

The whole point of digital sound is that the Digital to Analogue stuff is done by the decoder in the speakers not the soundcard.

If you're outputting stereo music, pretty much every bloody soundcard will sound the same. (Note to uberGeeks, I'm not going into ASIO omg omg mode here).

18. OP
    OP
    C0B

C0B Member

right, so after a long-winded discussion, we have come to the conclusion that digital output is the same on all soundcards, right?

it's only analogue that differs? (hence the comments like: "X-Fi shits all over it (audigy) for everything") => analog comparison, right?

19. squall_leonhart

squall_leonhart Member

that and in most cases games can't use Digital output due to the way they use surround sound

20. Yehat

Yehat Member

Also games on the X-Fi (except the XtremeAudio) will benefit from being able to support 128 simultaneous samples vs the 64 Audigy offers. The X-Fi's are also able to perform more complex effects in real-time (assuming the game supports EAX5 e.g. Prey/BF2/Quake4 etc).