AUDIO discussion: Plugins, Mics, effects and echo chambers!

Discussion in 'Live Streaming & Content Creation' started by SSJ4, Mar 6, 2019.

1. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Gday!

**I edited the title of the thread to make it a bit more universal and get a discussion going on who uses what.

What microphone are people using?

Reaper is a free audio software. Incredibly powerful. But the thing we are interested in is the VST plugins that are compatible with OBS!

https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

You can use any number of these plugins to tweak your audio.

Personally I use a combination of.

- Noise gate. I use this to cut out any background noise picked up by my XLR microphone. I have ZERO PC fan or hum noise. Well techincally its not cutting it out. The audio just doesnt trigger until a particular decibel.

upload_2019-3-6_10-47-35.png
    (Not my settings)

- Compression. Careful with this. Basically it takes the peaks of highs and lows and squashes them together in volume. Which is great for bringing down those HYPE screams and yelling. Any also bringing up your quiet whispering voice. Makes the sound more FULL aswell. However if you over do it the audio becomes very flat and loses its dynamics.

upload_2019-3-6_10-48-10.png
    (Not my settings)

- EQ with small bass boost. On voice and game audio. Just to make those guns, explosions and my voice sound that little bit THICC'er.

upload_2019-3-6_10-48-37.png
    (Not my settings)

I highly recommend researching up on how to implement VST's into your stream. Makes a big difference and costs nothing.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  2. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I'm running a RODE NT-2A into a scarlett 2i4 interface. Which is over kill really. But it was my friends music recording setup and since he didnt record a single song haha I took it off his hands.

I need a decent mic arm though. The stand setup I have is not ideal.

3. Hater

Hater Member

Why don't steamers use a lav mic? It's just a mic sitting on the desk will pick up sounds around you - I assume in-game audio is streamed from the game itself?

4. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Lav mics would probably be a little annoying for people. Easy to stand up and remove your headphones and your mic just stays at the desk.

Another part of it is the "streamer" look. People want to look legit.

My setup and many others is over kill for streaming. But I had the gear so I am using it. Took a decent about of tweaking to get it to sound right though. Hence the plug ins. Alot of people dont bother and every sound in the room is picked up lol.

5. Hater

Hater Member

Naw all the professional/good lav mics are wireless

Would be able to move and be all relaxed and all that and not worry about moving your head away from the mic

Y'know, differentiate yourself from the hoard

6. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Yeh its a pretty good point. Very discrete. Also you can't stand up and entertain in front of a green screen properly if your mic is fixed to your desk.

7. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Any recommendations for cheap/budget sound insulation foam? I want to get a few squares to cover the door of what will be my bedroom (once again) at my parents' place. The door used to be fully wooden, but after I moved out, they changed it to one with opaque glass panels, so I'll need sound and light insulation. The doorway seems to be able to cater for door-hanging clothes lines, so I should be able to pull off hooking foam squares to the door, making them a portable solution.

I think I'll only need 8.

8. Hater

Hater Member

old mattress

9. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Interesting option, but no can do.

10. Boneman

Boneman Member

Are you trying to deaden the sound escaping from the door, or are you concerned about the reflections into your microphone?

11. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

That.

My parents' place is in a quiet residential area (the street is up against the freeway, but the whole suburb is shielded by a sound barrier), rather than a main road, so I won't have any background noise.

12. Hater

Hater Member

Nah I mean like remove the foam lining from inside it and cut it to door shape

CAPT-Irrelevant likes this.
  13. Azrael

Azrael Member

For sound deadening a foam futon works well and can be cut to shape.

Anyone using some relatively cheap stereo lavs? Needing some for setting up a podcast interview rig that i can give to colleagues to take on the road with them. The struggle is that most of the lavs these days are TRRS for phone usage, and i need TRS so we can record split stereo with two mics... preferably without extra adaptors to screw up.

14. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Ahhh that makes much more sense now... I envisioned you implied standing a spring mattress up against the door. That does sound kinda silly in itself.
    Idea noted (your clarified one).

15. Hater

Hater Member

my old man has it like this for his guitar room, he uses big 'ol springy clip things to hold it to the door for quick removal

cheap ones are all mono. If you're using it like a lav mic that's not an issue as the voice you're recording is only from one source anyway....

I have a Blue Raspberry I can sell you if you want, use a lav mic for... lav micage and the Raspberry for on the roads?

16. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Could build a bass trap and attach it to the back of the door. Then some acoustic foams on the walls place in a decorative manner. If you have floor boards in your room get a rug. That will help too.

Reducing reflections of sound bouncing around your room will improve your audio quality mostly. Probably wont effect volume but it should have an effect of on the amount of noise from your room if you know what I mean.

17. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Bedroom, like my current place, is carpeted, so no issues with echo.

At my parents' place, there is another bedroom next to mine, but it's a spare/guest room now, so won't be bothering anyone there. My parents' room is on the opposite end of a 4 metre hallway, so am wanting best effort to shield the noise and lighting from them.

18. Azrael

Azrael Member

Stereo as in stereo jack, i.e. not TRRS. Lots of the cardioids use a stereo jack so you can put mic voltage down them for power, a la the Sennheiser ME2 and ME4s.

As for recording, I have a selection of good recorders with XY mics (Zoom H1, H1n, H4 and H6; Tascam DR22, DR07 and DR10), so no issue there.

This is purely for audio interviews at conferences etc, so rejection of background noise is more important.

19. Hater

Hater Member

I smell adapter hell in your future :D

20. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Gotta get me a good boom arm. Got a Rode mic so a rode boom is probably in my future. Done the usual research of googling top 5 mic arms and reading up a bit.

Any off brand options I possibly havent read about?