AUDIO discussion: Plugins, Mics, effects and echo chambers!

Discussion in 'Live Streaming & Content Creation' started by SSJ4, Mar 6, 2019.

1. havabeer

havabeer Member

So I've bought a 2nd hand rode NT-usb to use to use for some voice over stuff. Any opions on it? Was only $80 So not too worried

2. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

Since upgraded my monitors to Eve audio SC205 + TS108 and re-arranged somewhat.
    iMac Pro 10 core running Pro Tools + Ableton + Reason. Only real plugins that I use are Isotope, Output Movement and sometimes SoundToys as I do most FX etc in hardware.

There's also a Yamaha DX7-IIFD that isn't in the photo.

Click to view full size!

3. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I finally got it worked out.
    So I can't stick the foam directly to the door, or even cardboard. Double sided tape/sticky tape, it just won't hold.
    So I took on the idea of using spray glue, and sticking cardboard cut outs to the back of the foam squares.

This is the cardboard on my door.

upload_2019-6-10_16-35-16.png

This'll ruin OCD for some, but I have stuck the cardboard cut outs to the back of the squares with the spray glue, waited a couple of hours, then stuck them to the cardboard on the door with sticky tape. They hold much more confidently now.

upload_2019-6-10_16-37-25.png

4. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

5. OP
    OP
    SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Get something from bunnings and leave it horizontal until its dry.

6. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

My dad told me to try liquid nails, so will get some.

When I spray glued the cardboard to the foam panels, I left them to dry for only ~2 hours, with foam side on top for weight, but nothing clamping the 2 together to get a firm hold. I just didn't think it'd be this difficult :p

7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Spray glue, if its something like Kwik Grip, can actually dissolve some kinds of foam, so that's a good reason it may not have stuck. Double sided tape would do the job, but you need the right kind.. not that stuff you use for hanging pictures.

Get yourself some of THIS, you will have no more problems. You'll only need a 3cm piece on each corner of each section of foam, too easy. You won't need the cardboard either.

Its a resin type adhesive, much stronger than the normal 3M type tape. It sticks like shit to a blanket on virtually all surfaces, but when/if you want to remove it, you can push from an edge and kind of roll it off without doing damage.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  8. Unframed

Unframed Member

My audio setup is super basic, Rode NT-USB, PSA1 arm so it's off-cam and only bothered with noise gate settings in OBS - sounds decent IMO

9. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

The last remaining square still on the door finally came off the other night. I've now put them all back up with the tape you've recommended.

Will see how it copes.

10. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

2 weeks on, THEY ALL HOLD!

I might now have to see if I can apply it, as well as getting more acoustic foam, for the wall my desk is up against. That wall is adjacent to another bedroom, and the wall is quite thin, so is easy to leak into there too.

Ratzz likes this.