1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Audio Question

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by Doughboy, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

My lovely Wife bought me a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50H's for Christmas

First off, what an outstanding piece of kit!

However my question is and I never really thought about this before, is that do I need to be running the audio drivers for my motherboard? ie The Realtek drivers to

I have an ASUS Xonar Essence One running with the Coax cable and they sound perfect, however would the drivers make them perform better?

Hope this make a bit of sense!

Thanks
    Doughie

2. karnophage

karnophage Member

If they sound perfect to you now, you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

3. d3vour3r

d3vour3r Member

the essence one is a external DAC/headphone amp and is best used by connecting it to your PC by usb and letting it do all the decoding and processing. that way your not relying on any crap mobo inbuilt audio.

4. Spork!

Spork! Member

This.
    Use the quality audio gear for audio. Use the MB as somewhere to attach a CPU, RAM, GPU...

5. hoges25

hoges25 Member

As above, plug it in via USB instead of coax. I personally noticed the difference switching from my motherboard optical output to a Xonar Essence STX.

6. www.com.au

www.com.au Member

I have to agree with the other two previous posts, producing for 8 years here and even a crappy little 2i2 can make a phenomenal difference. The same applies for audio input as well. As far as I'm aware, mobo audio drivers are designed to work with lots of different devices, instead of a few specific devices really well.

7. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Making the assumption that the Realtek is your mobo audio driver - the answer is no and in fact you could disable your "onboard" mobo HD Audio (not essential).

The "ASUS Xonar Essence One" is your soundcard/amp/convertor, does all the work and therefore completely circumvents the onboard Audio chip. Audio Processor :C-Media CM6631 High-Definition Sound Processor - is the chip doing all the work. You want to ensure you have your soundcard driver installed and using that software configured correctly for your headphones. Once those drivers are installed you could uninstall any mobo Realtek Audio driver (reduce conflict potential).

http://www.asus.com/au/Sound_Cards_...nverters/Xonar_Essence_One/HelpDesk_Download/

Analogy: It's like saying I have a "dedicated" Video Card for gaming should I be concerned about the CPU - iGPU (e.g. Intel HD Graphics 3000) - the GPU is doing all the work and it is that "driver" that I want not the generic Windows 7/Intel drivers for the iGPU.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  8. OP
    OP
    Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Awesome responses. Thanks heaps

Am surprised about the USB being better than coax. Any reason for this?

9. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Attaching it via USB means the host sees it as a sound card and sends audio directly to the external card.

When using Coax (SPDIF) the onboard sound card does some processing (digital>digital) and sends it as a digital audio stream which might be pre converted to 44khz or similar, it might also already downmix it from 5.1 to 2.0 poorly.