1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Audioengine A5 $399

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by B4TM4N, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Cactus22

Cactus22 Member

Are you kidding?? The $80 logitech? Even the A2's are heaps better than X530 Something is wrong there....maybe you're missing the sub but in that case you can get a sub for the A5's

Those logitech speakers are atrocious for music

2. djpete1959

djpete1959 Member

Well thats my ears.
    I do dj and so maybe my ears are now trained to boomcha boomcha. Lol
    :-(
    I knew as soon as I fired these up that I wouldn't be happy.
    I expected a nice shimmering silky top end with a real full bass.
    What my ears heard was a very critical sound that was prob true to the source but did not give me a nice engaging feel that wanted me to tap my feet.

Maybe the Logitech floor sub does make all the difference but I am not going down the road in spending another 3 or 400 hundred on a sub. Sorry. I would have thought 400 smakeroos would have got me to nirvana...or almost.

Lesson learnt for me:
    ALWAYS listen before you buy speakers.
    Monitor style accurate speakers does not always mean enjoyable sound.
    Sometimes some "color" to the sound can be a benefit to the listener.
    Of course this is why choosing a speaker is so personal...:-(

I know some of this prob sounds like I am saying the world is flat but I'm sticking to my story.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  3. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

and if your anything like me, you'll have at least two speakers and A SUB.

These speakers are not designed as a sub, but I'm not here to talk about that.

This post is to give my (quick) impressions of AudioEngine A5's coupled with an AudioEngine S8 Sub (On a Auzentech Forte).

I LOVE IT, I agree that that the A5's don't have enough bass, They're pretty good, but not perfect. Add the S8 and MY GOD, it like having your ears cleaned out and polished. Took me a day or 2 to get all the settings right and I might still have some tweaking to do, but for right now. They sound bloody good...for $800 they'd want to be XD.

All I have to compare it to is Logitech X-230 and X-530, the bass is much more...controllable with the S8.

4. djpete1959

djpete1959 Member

Well I just took these off Ebay.
    I thought I would give them another go and still hated the thin sound until...
    I found a bass boost option on the sound card software settings.
    This is more like it.
    I will now put them back up on the stands to give them some breathing space and maybe I might be able to live with them.
    I understand they are accurate, quality build etc but for me if they haven't got punch. Well.
    And no I dont use a sub for djing but they are fat speakers, wharfdale twin 18 bass drivers.
    I apologise if I have scared anyone off these.
    To make up for it I will post another review once I have settled down.
    FYI I have the bass boost set at cutoff 20Hz at 100%.
    Can't believe the difference in full sound, to my ears.

5. Sycrat

Sycrat Member

If you change your mind again, I'll swap you for my Logi Z-5500 5.1 surround sound.

6. djpete1959

djpete1959 Member

Thats pretty tempting.
    I reckon I would be happier, but I would just use as 2.1 and all the remote stuff etc would be waste for me. Too many bells.
    I might have to go the subby way though

7. djpete1959

djpete1959 Member

Well you wont believe this but I sold them on Ebay after a few hrs today.
    I re listened to them again last night and after I found the bass boost I was getting a little excited, but no, not for me and I still find that my simple Logitechs sound better.
    There is NO way I would let these go if they sounded good to me.
    They went for 350 so I just paid around $65 for an inhome audition of the Audioengines. Lol
    Could have been a lot worse.
    I am sticking with the Logitechs, they sparkle a little bit more on the stands and I am VERY happy with the bass balance for the room I am in.
    For what its worth here are some pics I was going to put up with my review but I still stand by my first comments.

[​IMG]
    The Audioengines

[​IMG]
    The Logitechs

THE END.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  8. SoniQx

SoniQx Member

I actually just got mine today, I must say I am not blown away, I've been listening from the iMac speakers for 3-4 weeks and now these, of course it is better, but definatley underwhelmed. ALTHOUGH I have only used them for about an hour at most and all if not most of my songs are MP3's so I think some FLAC may be needed. Will see how it goes :thumbup:

9. Tokemon

Tokemon Member

For those who don't actually think there is enough bass, believe me they do.. you just haven't set them up correctly. They are pretty nitpicky with placement. I can definitely say it goes down to 50Hz, the kickdrum on Massive Attack's Angel goes pretty darn low. Sure it's not subsonic bass, but you can't expect it to do subwoofer levels.

These work best on stands, and about a meter from the rear walls (they are rear ported and need some room to breathe), with you sitting probably 2-3 metres from them. I've said it before, I don't think they work very well for PC speakers as the bass isn't there when using them for nearfield use

Try it and see for yourself. It's night and day difference.

10. djpete1959

djpete1959 Member

Mine have just been picked up as in sold and left the house.
    Breathes sigh of relief.

I think what you say about NOT being near field speakers could be right on the money.
    Great for a room but maybe not for computer speakers.

11. djpete1959

djpete1959 Member

sucked in again

So of course I did it again.
    I thought ok Im pretty happy with my Logitech 510's so maybe if I go for the z2300's I might get a slightly better sound.
    Terrible, harsh treble overblown bass. Unusable for any kind of music in my opinion.
    Just sold them for $120 on Ebay luckily (Lost $15 in the process)

SO.
    The question is...
    Where can I audition a good range of quality computer speakers?
    Tried Dick Smith, JB and Harvey Norman. Not much there.

PLEASE can anyone help??

12. Tokemon

Tokemon Member

That's the thing, if it sounds good to u, thats all that matters. For me, the logitechs were seriously horrible. After getting the a5s I was like where is the bass, but after buying some floor stands and spending a bit of time positioning it, has heaps of bass and sounds great for me.

If u are looking at quality speakers and dont mind spending a bit I wouldn't look at pc speakers and check out active speakers at hifi places. Something like adam a5 yamaha ns10 or quad actives to name a few, something front ported should work fairly well.

Im contemplating buying something better, but any better and I may as well go bookshelf plus amp and overkill for pc so it will go toward a stereo system instead

13. djpete1959

djpete1959 Member

Yep sure is a personal thing.
    I like my music pretty flat with maybe a little bump in the bass.
    The bump in the z2300 was just over the top.
    Obviously great for gamers.

Anyway I will keep searching.
    The problem with the 2 bookshelf speaker theory for me is that I don't think I will get enough bass. I would prefer a 2.1 but I dont think they really make a 2.1 for home or domestic type use...mainly computer desktop speakers are 2.1.
    Thats the hard bit.
    I would try the Klipsch Promedias but they no longer make them. :-(

14. BarryThePenguin

BarryThePenguin Member

They are marketed as bookshelf speakers, not computer speakers.

Maybe check out a set of a2 plus a sub to match?

15. cosxochet

cosxochet Member

I'm stuck between getting either the

Razer Mako for $369 at Nexus Technology
    Pros:
    - Cheaper
    - Has volume/bass control pad
    - Smaller speakers and a subwoofer

Cons
    - Omnidirectional speakers (don't want to wake up parents next door)

Audioengine A5 for $411 delivered from pccasegear
    Pros:
    - Lots of good reviews about these speakers and it's sound quality
    - Lots of ocau members recommend this
    -
    Cons
    - No bass volume tweaker (don't want to wake up parents next door)
    - Large size, takes up lots of room

Don't really care about bass, just the sound quality. Mostly using it for 320kps mp3 music, and then little bit of HD movies and games.

Still using Realtek ALC889A onboard but looking at getting a Asus Essense STX after i get one of the speakers.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  16. djpete1959

djpete1959 Member

I found nirvana

Well at last I may be onto something.
    This place is local and pretty sure you can test all these quality brand active speakers/monitors.
    Going in tomorrow for a look/listen
    http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/sound/studio-monitors/all-monitors.html

Update.
    Listened to 3 sets of speakers.
    All good at high volumes.
    But I want bass at lower levels too.
    The only way is 2.1 in my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  17. boneburner

boneburner Member

see u there ^^ cant help but feel i might like those Behringer 3030A's, tho Tannoy has a new studio monitor out for around the $650 mark as well.

18. DarkNation-

DarkNation- Member

I highly recommend for anyone looking for a new pair of computer speakers to scope out your local music gear store and check out their active monitor range.
    Most people are blown away once they hear a pair of REAL speakers.
    Studio monitors are designed to give as much of an accurate and detailed reproduction of the source as possible. Most (all) computer speakers colour and change the sound to make them sound more appealing. Logitech are notoriously bad for this.

Sound is such a subjective thing that its very hard to recommend gear for people as everyone wants something different from a set of speakers.

For around $500 I recommend the Behringer B3030A/B3031A monitors as mentioned above. They are a very popular budget bedroom DJ speaker. The Ribbon tweeter really improves the top end clarity and detail, while the 8" main driver is usually enough to satisfy bass requirements (even for EDM)

http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/sound...s/behringer-b3031a-truth-studio-monitors.html

DJPete, It seems you really need a 2.1 system. I would suggest looking into something like the B3030A (6") and then a small studio sub to fill in the bottom end. That is the ONLY way you are going to get bass at lower levels.
    Checkout your local StoreDJ aswell. They usually have a reasonable selection of monitors on display.

19. djpete1959

djpete1959 Member

Thanks for the feedback guys and sorry for hijacking this thread but I think its too late to move everything.

I've now decided to go down the track of "crap in crap out". In other words get the sound right at the source first. I used to read a lot of stuff when I was mad into audio and a theory was that the most important thing to get right is the source and last importantly are the speakers.
    I dont want to pay say $1500 on a 2.1 bookshelf system that may only give me the sound I want at higher levels. I want that full quality detailed sound at low near field listening levels too. I want it all. Lol

So..
    My system is this at present:
    Using modded Winamp player with in_mad input decoder (Highly recommended, made a huge improvement to sound)
    Sound Blaster 24bit Live! sound card with bass boost set to 10db at 100%
    Logitechs as above. Subwoofer set at almost lowest setting, speakers raised, helps sound stage enormously (Recommended)

I have been more than happy with the system and the full bass I get, but I would like a little more detail, clarity.

So I have just bought a better sound card as I read that the one I have is not good, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_Live!)
    I ordered the the ASUS Xonar DX from PC Gear.
    I reckon with that installed I will be pretty happy.

I will post if I hear good improvements.
    The search for better sound saga continues...:)

20. encoderboy

encoderboy Member

Personally, I'm not crazy about any active speakers I've heard under $1k.

Biggest issue I've got is that their amps generally seem a bit wimpy, and seem to fail way too often. Decent speakers should last a long time (15 years+), but the sorts of amps they package in <$1k actives don't seem built to last anywhere near this long.

I setup a new system for my little sister recently. We started with a Pioneer receiver from their online outlet - $170.

Then added a pair of second hand Aaron ATS-5 floorstanders. $450 second hand.

This setup is incredible. Smooth frequency response, effortless bass down to 30Hz.

I get that floorstanders aren't for everyone, but replace them with some half-decent bookshelves, and you'll have a lovely system.

It also means the receiver can act as a crossover, to properly setup a subwoofer if you choose to add one later.

Just my opinion of course ;-) But I think you can get MUCH better value for your $ than A5s..