Audioengine A5 or?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by .:HM:., Apr 1, 2009.

1. Tokemon

Tokemon Member

All DACs need power to run? I think you may be getting mixed up with the terminology. I'm guessing you mean going dac only as opposed to a dac/amp combo? DAC only means you need to plug in a separate amp for it to run speakers/headphones. As the A2s already have an amp in them its just a matter of plugging it in via RCA cables. Its just that if you want to power headphones, it won't work, and you would need a dac/amp combo like a soundcard or attach a separate amp to it.

As for suggestions, what are you running it off? I'd probably stick with a soundcard at your budget if its only for PC use, as dacs in that price range wouldn't be better than internal sound cards at the same price (you need to pay for a case etc.)

Its only when you go quite a bit higher in price that you will see better performance.

2. jamiefhr

jamiefhr Member

I'm currently running it off my onboard audio HD realtek and so I was wondering whether the DAC will make a difference to the sound produced. I suspected I might not have needed an amp because the are active speakers.

The DAC i'm looking at is the audiotrak prodigy cube
    http://slsing.com/?p=1838
    Not many have experience on it but it does alright. Goes for about 120usd on ebay. Worth the money?

3. dish-oh

dish-oh Member

I've been tossing up buying the A5's for around 6 months now (slow decider) and have answered most of my questions myself through searching but still have a couple things I'm not too sure about, just wondering if anyone could give some advice.

Firstly, this might be hard to get an answer on, but I've read everywhere about their great sound quality, but not so much on their volume. Can anyone give me a comparison to how loud they can go, without distorting, compared to say the basic 2 speaker, 5disc panasonic stereo systems that you get for around the $3-400 mark? Louder? similar volumes? (I honestly have no idea)

Also (once again might be hard without specifics) but can anyone comment on them in comparison to some old bang and olufson Beovox S45-2 45(70)watt loudspeakers, or anything similar to the B&O's?

Finally, my desk is limited for space and my bookshelf has too many things on it that vibrate, so they would be sitting next to my monitor, would that cause any problems?

Thanks for any help. :)

I normally would go test future purchases out but word on the street is there aren't too many sets of these just sitting around in shops.

4. PraZStaR

PraZStaR Member

5. -Rift-

-Rift- Member

Anyone compared the A5's to a set of similar monitors? I'm surprised someone hasn't jumped on marketing some monitors as computer speakers years ago. I'd be interested to hear them compared to some Truths or KRK's in the same price range.

6. ICEW0LF

ICEW0LF Member

i have mine setup first through a trends amp (passive bundle) and while that went decently loud (in my large bedroom) it would clip when i really pushed it. now running through my marantz they are really pumping and blow away the bookshelves off a sharp stereo system (not panasonic i know) that i hooked up to the same amp just cause i could. much more depth and clarity then the Sharps and far more bass and midrange. now i know this isnt really telling you much about the actives and the amp they have built in but from what i have heard it goes pretty loud and looking at teh specs n it i would expect they would. there are plenty of people here with the actives so im sure someone will comment on them soon. what size room are they going to be filling?

since they are hard to get at the moment and the aktimates have come down in price i would suggest looking at the aktimates instead as they should be louder and a bit bassier as they have a marginally bigger woofer and reviews tend to point that way.

either set are going to blow away a 400 dollar panasonic system in terms of quality and more then likely volume. considering that the panasonic includes the system itself in the $400 i doubt that they would have spent a great deal of that on the speakers where as the a5\aktimates are more then that for just the speakers. sound would be in a completely different league i would imagine

7. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

in the end i went with monitors rather than a5/aktimate.. i just wish i had balanced outputs on the essence STX soundcard now

i demo'ed a number of monitors at soundcorp in south melbourne. for me the adam a5/a7 were clearly superior. this is mainly due to their ribbon tweeter i think, the mids/highs are just so crystal clear it's unbelievable. KRK are a bit bass heavy for my liking. Mackie's also had too much bass and the mid range basically non existent. i havent demo'ed the Truth monitors but i've read a lot of bad things about them.

i would say though that decent monitors are totally overkill. if youre going to spend that sort of money get an amp / passive speakers. Main reason is that they are more flexible. monitors are designed for nearfield listening, whereas an amp/passives are usually intended for use in a lounge room or larger area. If you have people over or want ambient music.. monitors aren't really intended for that..

i very nearly bought a set of aktimates.. i am glad i spent the money on monitors but it definitely wasn't a sensible choice :)

8. Comma

Comma Member

When I went to demo sound monitors, there were some Yamaha that had high end loss (Around 6-8KHz), a pair of Adam's that sounded... OKish for their price ($300 more than the others). Then the Truth's sounded fine, pretty good for Behringer Gear.

Finally I ended up with a KRK's. Primarily because I couldn't hear that nasty Crossover Frequency drop at around 2KHz.

There are so many different options for speakers, dependent on whatever situation you want them for. The more money you spend, the better you're generally going to get, however there lies in the regular 'technology upgrade issue' of diminishing returns for each dollar spent after a certain amount.

By sure seek advice from other people, but there's nothing better than your OWN ear for judging the sound of something for your OWN tastes.

9. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

yep thats it :thumbup: get advice but dont spend $ until you have actually heard it yourself..

10. creativetec

creativetec Member

where can i try a2 and a5 . living in brisbane . cannot seems to see any of ae product

11. popolopolous

popolopolous (Banned or Deleted)

Does anyone have any ETA on stock of the A2/A5 at Vistra? Wants me some A2s but I have received zero email replies.

12. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

hmm why would you want to do business with someone who cant even be bothered to reply to emails?

13. popolopolous

Because there's no-one else: I live in a 'city' (read: large town) in rural WA... Vistra is the only online shop I know of that sells them, that isn't pickup only or local delivery only.

14. -Rift-

-Rift- Member

Where abouts in WA? Have you heard the A5's? Unless you need to have the A5's maybe try some other monitors/speakers or get Kosmic/Billy Hyde to ship you some with just a phone call.

15. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

fair enough.

i am not a member of the audioengine ocau cult ;) so i dont see audioengine being unavailable as that much of a big deal.

however, i did have a look around at shops selling audioengine stuff, and when i was looking around 3-4 months ago carlton A/V in melbourne stocked audioengine A2. they may still have some and i believe they will ship. i asked them about stock of A5s, they said they used to carry them but dont anymore as they prefer aktimate mini.

I'm not sure if there are better options in the A2 price range (i wasn't really looking there), but if you are after a5 i wouldnt lose sleep over not finding them. when i was in the market i found a seller on ebay who quoted me "410-440" when they received stock for aktimates (they also offered shipping).. which is cheaper/better than A5

if your budget extends beyond the $600 mark you might want to look at ebay amp/passives combo or monitors.. if you are after monitors then shipping is no probs: soundcorp, billy hyde etc will ship to you

16. popolopolous

I'm in Bunbury. I'm also after A2s... there are two shops I know of that stock hi-fi stuff. One shop I haven't been to yet (it's always closed whenever I'm anywhere near it, ie in the evenings/on weekends) and the other stocks nothing but B&W, Harman Kardon and Cambridge Audio. I'm also after powered (ie no amp) unless I can get a decent amp really really cheaply.

Hence for me, the A2s are the best option as they give good sound for a modest outlay and don't need an external amp.

Also on Vistra are the iNNoSound Piccolos, which while nice looking are owned by a friend of mine and I have to say don't sound overly impressive in the bass end... not muddy, just... empty. You can hear something missing.

17. Rick_Hunter

Rick_Hunter Member

hey

did you end up getting the adam a5's? also, can you plz tell me the name of the south melb shop that u went to where i can go demo all the monitors?

i've also sort of gone from pc speakers, to better pc speakers, to these stereo speakers (prices are going higher and higher though!)

cheers.

18. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

ended up getting some A7s off ebay (3 months old, as new condition.. took months of looking/waiting)

Soundcorp is the company you're looking for. They have good prices on monitors too, but to give you a tip, they sometimes advertise their ebay prices as lower than store price. e.g. Adam A5 was listed on ebay as $999 or so, whereas on their website it was around $1200.

Let us know how you go in the listening room and if you like the Adam monitors :)

19. ihavesoldout

ihavesoldout Member

I was looking for AudioEngine A5's but pretty much every store I called were not stocking or had replaced them with the Aktimate Mini's.

I ended up getting the Aktimates for $470 as everyone says they sound better then the A5s.

They do sound great though!

20. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Got some pics mate? Where did you get them from? Was that delivered? Tried them using the 3.5mm input?

Would love to see how these would go with my citypulse DAC!!!1