Audioengine D1 Premium 24-Bit DAC - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Hodge, Jun 20, 2012.

1. midyim

midyim Member

I am using a one meter USB & Optical...no problems

2. Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779 Member

The D1 has rca out which is perfect for my A5+ bookshelf speakers, it has a more than capable headphone amp too and it can sit on the desk in front of you and you can easy change volume much better than a pci-e soundcard ever will.

If you had really high impedance headphones you would want something different (I am talking greater than 300ohm here tho) your headphones are 32ohm so they will be just right with the D1 and it is easy switching with the bookshelf speakers from the pre out because plugging in headphones stops output on the rca pre outs.

If you want more than 2ch sound though you may want a soundcard but as you said that is for the future.

3. AManEatingDuck

AManEatingDuck Member

hmm, everytime i use a 1m or 1m+ cable my D1 shows as an unknown device. I've tried about 4 different cables with it but always the same thing.

4. DeejW

DeejW Member

tried it on a different computer? might be a faulty unit

5. AManEatingDuck

AManEatingDuck Member

I've just tried on a Dell E4300 with a 1m cable and the D1 works fine. But if i use the same cable on USB2.0 port on my ASRock z77 extreme 4 the D1 comes up as a unknown device. However if I plug the same cable in to a USB3.0 port on the ASRock the D1 works fine.

Talk about weird.

6. t8y

t8y Member

usb is slightly underpowered on the asrock perhaps.
    try another port (try them all..), maybe one has better access to power

7. AManEatingDuck

AManEatingDuck Member

I've tried the 2 USB 2.0 ports at the back and they both do the same thing. Maybe i'll try the ASRock forum over at TT or OCW.

8. krappo

krappo Member

i have Audio Engines 5+ and D1 Dac connected with supplied USB cable and not only works well but what a dramatic difference in sound all my music is in flac and the detail i can hear now is absolutely fantastic :):wired:

9. PrinceCharming

PrinceCharming Member

Is this worth getting if I use it to connect to my LCD TV with the older Audioengine A5s and Beyerdynamic DT250 headphones?

I have my Blu ray player, Xbox 360 and a media connected to the TV via hdmi. Then the Audioengine A5s are connected to the headphone out on the TV via 3.5mm.

10. PrinceCharming

PrinceCharming Member

Just wanted to clarify my question. Would there actually be any benefit in connecting an Audioengine D1 to my TV or are these more for PCs and MACs? Never used an external DAC before.

11. t8y

t8y Member

i imagine youd need to power it via USB somehow (if not from the TV/BD, then maybe a wall adapter?), and use the optical for the input.
    you likely wont be able to use sound via the USB cable as they arent PCs, wouldnt know what to do with it.

they arent really designed for what you want but if configured like that they should work?
    probably better solutions though, like an actual HT amp perhaps..

i just ordered one of these to go with my ad-700s. finally i can be done with onboard sound :)

12. PrinceCharming

PrinceCharming Member

My AE A5/TV have USB ports so that wouldn't be an issue. My TV has optical out so I would connect it via that if I did get the D1. HT amp is over my budget :(

Man, I spent the whole night googling and I still don't know lol

13. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Optical to D1. 240 to USB adapter to power it. All good.

Might work powering it off TV with USB. Might also get confused to what input to use and not work.

14. PrinceCharming

PrinceCharming Member

Do you think there would be any improvements in audio quality if connected to the TV instead of a PC or MAC though? That't the main thing I'm concerned about

15. t8y

t8y Member

ok, mine arrived today, just hooked it up (just via USB)
    fired up scott pilgrim versus the world bluray, opening 5mins.
    only one way to describe - http://youtu.be/RiX4FAQC9cg
    they are still ringing, probably shouldnt have turned it right up lol

tested with a few other movies of various source material (at a lower volume..), it has totally kicked these ad700s up another notch. night and day difference between it and the goddamn 'realtek HD' onboard.

manual claims it needs to wear in for about 40~50 hours, and it only gets better from here.. :D

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  16. Nitecore

Nitecore Member

Hijacking thread =P

Would it be a waste of money to buy one when I've got a Asus HDAV 1.3 Deluxe?

17. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Yer I'm also interested to know if its worth selling my Asus Xonar STX card for this lil Dac.

18. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Unless the D1 is more convenient, no. The DAC wouldn't be better, and the headphone amp is just as powerful. I got one because I wanted a external DAC.

19. orby

orby Member

I read this review http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/david-parker83/audioengine-d1-versus-dacmagic-116/
    Dacmagic vs the d1, and it seems that the d1 came out on top because of the price. However someone here rated the xonar essence one as being substantially better than the d1.

Lost my soundcard because of mitx and I can't stand the onboard sound. I need an external dac and always wanted the dacmagic plus. Could someone recommend the d1 or the essence one over the dacmagic?
    Mostly use the ad900 but also have grado rs1's which I should probably amp up in future.
    There's a bunch of other dac's on headphonic for under $500, should I consider those?

20. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Member

I spent the weekend researching the same thing, was going to post that same question today. Any thoughts would be great.