Audioengine D1 Premium 24-Bit DAC - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Hodge, Jun 20, 2012.

1. orby

orby Member

ended up blowing the budget a little bit and ordered an audiolabs mdac lol.
    if you want a dac I read that the arcam rdac is better than the dacmagic +! It's similarly priced like the dacmagic but it's just a dac, no amp. if you haven't got powerful headphones I think it would make a good choice :thumbup:

2. Nutella

Nutella Member

would this be the ideal PC DAC for sub $150 price? Just wanted to know before i decide to pull the trigger

3. Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779 Member

IMHO after using it for an hour plus almost daily with my AKG q701s for the last 6 months..... YES! Yes yes so much yes haha.

I love that it has such a neutral output and wont colour sounds, it amps up very nicely too. USB out sounds great but if you have the source music and use optical input with a decent set of cans you can really listen to your music in a way you have never heard it before.

Small portable, very well made and it just plug and play. The best thing (after SSD) that I got for my laptop.

4. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Neither should make a difference, the DAC is still doing the decoding either way - it's reading the same bits regardless of whether they're transported by USB or optical method.

5. Nutella

Nutella Member

awesome - just purchased it from pccg. thanks!:D

6. StreekG

StreekG Member

Hey guys i just bought this and i am very happy with it, surprised how much better the system sounds compared to the Xonar DX.
    One question though.

Will this USB3.0 cable work? To my knowledge plugging USB3.0 cables into normal USB2.0 ports just means you don't get the full speed of the USB3.0.

"USB 3.0 A-B Cable 1m"

I'm horrified at how short the cable that comes with the product is. And i'm having trouble finding a normal A-B black cable that is not micro or mini usb male B

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  7. --B--

--B-- Member

hey guys

im struggling to decide whether to go with the D1 dac or a internal sound card like the D2X

can any of you more learned members explain the pros and cons of each? do they essentially do the same thing for me?

8. StreekG

StreekG Member

I've only had my D1 a couple of days. I upgraded from a Xonar DX.
    From what i've researched and reviews and lots of forum crawling, the DX and D2X don't sound much different, i think the SNR rating 118 on D2X as opposed to 116 on the DX.

I can say comfortably that the D1 is certainly a nice improvement over my Xonar DX. I only changed due to the DX touching my second graphics card.

Although i had to sell my Roccat Kave headset and replace with something else as I couldn't use all the 3.5mm jacks to connect to the D1.

9. orby

orby Member

In your price range I would stick to buying a sound card as it is internal and out of the way which is the most important benefit for me as I recently went mitx so no chance of an internal solution. Got rid of my d2x and went for an expensive external solution (for beast headphones). Sound card also has benefit of having a good mic output because now when gaming I have no choice but to use the onboard mic out.
    Only annoying thing about the sound card was having to access the back of the computer to unplug headphones. Nothing major.

Bottom line, if you can fit it in your computer and you use a mic, get a sound card.

I haven't used the d1 but maybe someone who has used both can tell you about the sound quality.
    Edit: just noticed dude above mentioned an improvement between d1 and dx. what sort of improvement? And I don't know the difference between the d2x and dx

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  10. --B--

--B-- Member

thanks for the replies guys

the main issue im facing is how to hook everything up to my home speakers.. im trying my best to essentially get my HTPC to act a bit like an AV receiver however im somewhat stuck atm because i need to figure out what i need to do to connect speaker wires to the whole system... everything im looking at so far is RCA or 3.5mm

im not interested in gaming with this sound card so id seriously consider the Essence STX if i could figure out what i need to do to connect my audioengine A5s as well as my outside speakers (speaker wire)

any help or advice is much appreciated!!!

11. AManEatingDuck

AManEatingDuck Member

You won't be able to use a USB3.0 cable because the end that needs to plug in to the DAC is too big.

I have the same problem with the cable being way too short but my motherboard doesn't like the D1 with anything longer.

12. hdkhang

hdkhang Member

Just to clarify, speakers need amplification. You need to go from 3.5mm/RCA from soundcard/DAC to amplifier/avr and from the amp to the speakers via speaker wire. The A5s are different because they are powered speakers and so house the amplifier within, that is why they come with power cables.

13. --B--

--B-- Member

thanks hdkhang, makes perfect sense - i cant believe i didnt twig on that myself!

looks like i need an amp now... so would needing a dedicated amp remove the need for a soundcard / this DAC?

cheers.

14. AManEatingDuck

AManEatingDuck Member

nope, you still need a soundcard

it should be like this

Computer > Soundcard\DAC > Amp > Speakers

or

Computer > Soundcard\DAC > Powered Speakers

15. tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

I'm a helluva n00b, so please bare with me..

if one buys an AED1P, does it remove the need for a soundcard (ie X-Fi, Realtek, C-Media etc)?

my friend & I are confused as to what this device is entirely: we both thought it to be 'merely' an amp.. his brother went & bought one & had to install drivers (this confused us, as it suggested it was also a soundcard).. to add to mine & his confusion, his brother plugs it into the PC using USB only & all the sound goes thru it.

Like I said, I thought this thing is 'just' an amp, so you would still need a sound card. I thought the connectivity would go like this:

computer > X-Fi > DAC > headphones

I realise you can have this:

computer > X-Fi > headphones

but can you have this:

computer > DAC > headphones

?

sorry for my n00biness! :wired:

16. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

I'm not sure what product some other posters are referring to, but the Audioengine is a DAC, it appears to have an amp built in, but AE aren't very clear with their product description. A soundcard is a DAC too, but performs other interface functions as it's inside a PC.

An external DAC bypasses any internal soundcard. If the DAC doesn't have an amp built in, you need an amp too.

For the same money, an internal soundcard is going to be better performer than the Audioengine. If you don't need portability, it's a better option.

17. StreekG

StreekG Member

No sound card needed.
    IF you run an seperate mic though, i had to reinstall my onboard sound driver so i could use that.

18. AManEatingDuck

AManEatingDuck Member

Think of a DAC as the same as a soundcard (X-Fi). Most DACs are external and do come with a headphone amp (with a volume knob) that will allow you connect headphone OR\AND connect it to an external amp (like how you would a CD player). The D1 can connect to both headphones and to an external amp but not at the same time.

You can have more that one soundcard\DAC in your computer e.g. one for gaming and another for music playback if you want.

E.g. if you wanted to use you X-FI for gaming and the D1 for music you could have this setup.
    Code:
    Computer -> X-Fi -> Headphones \ Amp with Speakers
            \-> D1 -> Headphones \ Amp with Speakers

Or if you want to just listen to music.
    Code:
    Computer -> D1 -> Headphones \ Amp with Speakers

19. Bertross

Bertross Member

this sounds like something for my Shures 940s and maybe my DT880s but unsure on the DTs it might need more power then most.

seems like it can power up to 300 Ohms, might get one for home to ;)

what is the difference between the D1 and D2? is it the Burr-Brown Oamps?

i plan on using it for my Corsair SP2500s which loved the STX when i had one. My old STX had Burr-Browns and it had a nice warm sound to them imo.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  20. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

Agree with this. :thumbup: