Aussie Broadband email problems

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by pfrcom, Sep 24, 2020.

1. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

On 16-Sep Outlook 2007 client reported error unable to contact SMTP server, although no issues with POP

I was flummoxed by this, seeing I'd changed nothing since setting it up on 21-Jul

I contacted Support who offered a remote session, but I decided to investigate further before getting back to them if necessary

After fruitlessly checking integrity of settings and .PST files, I eventually resolved issue by changing both servers in Outlook 2007 from "mail.aussiebroadband.com.au" to "202.142.142.239"

I then re-contacted Support to advise my fix, assuming they had a system issue

It's been OK until today, 24-Sep, with OCAU saying email whatever@aussiebroadband.com.au is invalid and insisting I fix it

AussieBB is shaping up to be my shortest lived ISP to date :sick:

2. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I mean, that has literally nothing to do with Aussie Broadband, go start a thread about this in the Site Discussion and tag Agg.

I suspect you changed your DNS provider. A quick test shows that mail.aussiebroadband.com.au doesn't resolve to that IP on Cloudflare DNS, but it does if you query AussieBB's DNS server 202.142.142.142

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Hive likes this.
  3. Hive

Hive Member

Outlook 2007

Yeah... i can already picture it.

Reins likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Been (and still) using Cloudflare DNS long before changing to Aussie Broadband

Also advised use of Cloudflare DNS on follow-up call to Support

5. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

its all part of the same company, aussiebroadband = wide.net.au different mx's in the farm thats all.

6. OP
    OP
    pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Click to view full size!

7. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

You know, you're quite right...and I really have no idea what I did to make myself think otherwise. My bad.

No idea if that address is actually an AussieBroadband mail server, I'm a customer but I don't use their mail so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Can you telnet mail.aussiebroadband.com.au 25 from a command prompt?
    If not, your IP may be blocked for relay/spam violations - probably because ancient Outlook 2007 was compromised :o

upload_2020-9-24_19-0-18.png

if you don't have Telnet client installed in Windows 10, use the "dism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:TelnetClient" command inside an administrative command prompt to install it.

9. caspian

caspian Member

why is anyone still using ISP provided mail??

bcann likes this.
  10. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Using a non hotmail/gmail/whatever address was part of the requirement for making an ocau account for a long time

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Correct.

I got myself into the whole Telstra email trap, took me a little while, but thankfully out of it now :D

12. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

It wont be autoscraped to personalise spamming you - yes google admit doing it
    it will be stored locally in Australia protected from things like the US's stored comms act which allows warantless access to email over 6 months old
    it will be stored locally in Australia outside the reach of governments with no regard to anyone's privacy, yes the USA , again, amongst others.
    You usually have better response when things dont go well, its at least acknowledged by a trouble ticket that gets looked at by human.
    ... they are just the starters.. a lot of people use ISP's email

(I write this having not used an ISP's email for over 20 years, I've also never used these freemails, I have my own domains, and run those mail servers locally since forever (well except when I was with ISP x, I had the box in their data centre for a few years.) )

13. caspian

caspian Member

pay for a domain. mine costs about $55 a year. the concerns over the US government being able to access your mail are only valid if you're doing something you shouldn't be, and the rest of them cease to exist.

end of discussion as far as I'm concerned, when the solution is so easy. /drops mic

14. power

power Member

how is Outlook 2007 still working for you?

Hive likes this.
  15. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/t...n-behalf-of-us-government-20130712-hv0w4.html

The reference for the five eyes article has been taken down by the original news outlet for some reason, but the discussion around it still exists

No worries boss, stick some cameras up in my house and mic me up so you can watch me all day and make sure I'm not being naughty. You're a strange guy caspian.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Nobby6 likes this.
  16. power

power Member

co-incidentally i was speaking to someone the other day (who honestly should have fucking known better) and they were on 2010 and it just stopped working for them. I berated them for using an old, insecure version of Office of course.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

My original gmail got absolutely obliterated and I had hardly used it anywhere.

Nobby6 likes this.
  18. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

My gmail is pretty sanitary, my outlook.com aggress gets smashed by scams all day that don't get caught by the filters and I haven't used that address for much...

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

The last few months of my outlook emails has been absolutely free of all that crap. So far.

20. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

2010 and 2013 Still installed on a number of my work PC's... :rolleyes: