Aussies may get limitless downloads

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by power, Jul 8, 2008.

1. power

power Member

RELIEF may be at hand for Australian consumers starved of the limitless internet download quotas offered in other countries

personally all i can see is ISP's profiteering, but one can hope...

2. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

If the technology becomes cheap enough, then the moment one ISP undercuts the rest and takes market share should start the 'cheap plan war'.

One can only hope. :)

3. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Interesting article, lets hope it comes to light.

4. sml_nail

sml_nail Member

All I can see this doing is putting downward pressure on prices or with the cheaper cost of bandwidth download allowances are increasing. From what I can tell in some countries that do have unlimited plans the ISP's are looking to transition users across to capped plans of some form or another.

5. HeXa

HeXa Member

All I see is ISPs having an increased profit margin, with the smaller ones still screwing themselves and their customer base

6. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

ISPs have offered unlimited downloads before, they have all folded because people get this crazy idea that to get their 'monies worth' they have to be downloading at 100% all the time. Recent example WildIT, idiots had downloading competitions :rolleyes:

7. T1tan

T1tan Member

In an Australian market, that would be my frist assumption too. But iinet and internode seem to have done pretty well by their customers previously. Nothing will change with telstra / optus though. See what happens.

8. derb

derb Member

yeh right. with most ISPs worldwide trying to cap current users, why the fuck would we get uncapped? out internet will always be shithouse, accept that its due to goegraphy and economy and move on. this wont happen, i guarantee. bandwidth surplus, pffffft, based on the current traffic maybe.

9. Mindy

Mindy Member

Meh..... give things time and more uncapped plans will come into existance. The more cable that gets laid, the cheaper things should become. If they don't theres always the opportunity to bring in the ACCC. :D:thumbup:

10. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I think what Australian's in general and especially the writer of this article need to realise is that Telstra is admired worldwide for their introduction of capping - i'm pretty sure they were the first to ever do it anywhere. Even i guess if caps go up for joe average (like the counting of uploads on telstra plans) it'd go a long way to improving the current state of things, it's amazing how much people will pay for lousy net in this country because they don't know any better.

11. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Yeah I doubt it will get better, I mean I had Optus cable in around 2001~ which was uncapped and around 1mb downlstream for $80, ever since then we have been going backwards.

12. Gunna

Gunna Member

Seeing as it costs money to send data over seas etc, why isn't local traffic(Australian Traffic) free....once the infrastructure is in place local traffic would cost minimal to maintain i'd imagine.

13. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

because Telstra can't make any money off that.

14. derb

derb Member

quoted for truth. we only get to advance if the big dogs get paid for it.

15. PYROMANT|C

PYROMANT|C Member

While I doubt we'll see fully unlimited plans (my plan is technically unlimited, just shaped after 55Gb) I do think we'll see a fair jump in quotas at the very least. Internode just bumped my cap from 40 to 55Gb about a month or two ago at no increase in price, and they'd only do that if it had become significantly cheaper for them.

That, or they were overcharging me for the 40Gbs for the past 3 years. I don't really care though their service makes up for it.

16. figrin

figrin Member

Mainly because of the gang of four in Australian net peering, but even so it can't be free. It does cost money to build, maintain and support an infrastructure.

Australian broadband and ISP environment really ain't so bad when you judge it in the context of what it is, mainly
    • Australia is sparsely populated
    • Australia is in the middle of two big oceans
    • Australia is English speaking surrounded Asian countries, and we don't mind info from the yanks or the poms
    • All the data Australians want to download are half way across the world

17. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

realistically i'd be happy if all/most internet plans were like my TPG Super2 ($69 150GB 40 on 110 off download and ADSL2+ with no upload limits)

18. derb

derb Member

yeh i just want MORE cap, not unlimited. 60GB a month between 3 young men in the know is nothing. we would use about 200-250GB some months, if we could. i've already gotten one $500 over-cap bill negated because i know what time midnight is whereas Optus seem not to. so if Optus can't reset your usage so 0MB at 00:01 each month, what chance do we have of proper upgrades?

19. Wilf

Wilf (Banned or Deleted)

Why do some kiddies here and elsewhere want to go whining to the ACCC? In this case the ACCC can do nothing, as what is anti competitive about it? What competition, fair trading or consumer protection laws are being broken?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  20. Idryss

Idryss Member

This seems to be what is happening in some countries (the US notably) atm, hence why caps are being 'trialled' there and elsewhere. If it becomes cheaper for the ISPs to get bandwidth I can foresee caps increasing here in Oz but not by huge amounts. You just have to look at the variance in plans offered currently. Very few ISP's offer even a semblance of value capwise because they know that 90%* of their customers are clueless ('My cup holder broke' clueless) when it comes to things like this.

*Figure pulled from arse but its likely close enough given most users just want it to work.