Australia Day Weber Lamb Using Snake Technique

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Uki, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Uki

Uki Member

Hi All,

I am christening my new Webber this Australia day - I've used the snake method I read about in here somewhere.. Its been a fun day - I'm going to eat well tonight!:D

I started with a leg of lamb. Here is the lamb marinade recipe http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/415/barbecued+marinated+lamb+leg

Marination Complete and Fridged for 24 hours:
    [​IMG]

Loading the Chimney:
    [​IMG]

Charring the Coals:
    [​IMG]

Creating the Snake:
    [​IMG]

Shaky Snake:
    [​IMG]

Preppin:
    [​IMG]

The Snake Begins!:
    [​IMG]

The Finished Product :D
    [​IMG]

I had heaps of coal left over - and I used hickory wood.. Not much smoked by the time the lamb was done, so I've thrown a chicken in to smoke for desert. This is only my second cook and I'm happy so far - Few things I would change next time.. I'm thinking BBQ Ribs Nom nom

2. GeneralDeath

GeneralDeath Member

looks yum man I found the slower the cook the better the meat I love fish in webber. etc red emperor or snapper or even Flathead yummy yummy.:thumbup:
    Love you're work though.

3. OP
    OP
    Uki

Uki Member

Thanks mate - Yeah I'll have to try fish in it, I imagine smoking it would be amazing. What sort of chips do you use for fish?

I got a Candy thermometer coming, so when that happens I'll have better temperature control - still, im pleased with this second run - first time I tried a chicken and had all kindsa strife lighting the coals etc - ended up having to do the last bit of cooking in the oven - got another bird in there smoking away now, so will be interesting to see how it ends :D.

4. cavanor

cavanor Member

Looks delicious!!

5. OP
    OP
    Uki

Uki Member

The Chickens done - Lamb sliced, veges cooked - ready to tuck in - Happy Australia Day!

[​IMG]

6. knp1288

knp1288 Member

Looks good!

Where did you buy the chimney from?

7. OP
    OP
    Uki

Uki Member

Barbecues galore - they don't call them Chimneys in Aust tho - BBQ Starters.. they were kinda wtf when I asked for a chimney :confused:

8. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

what were the cooking times?

9. scon

scon Member

Look at the grill on that BBQ! So shiny! :D Looks like you've done well, particularly for a first cook. I love my weber - absolutely the best value cooking investment anyone can make I reckon. Congrats.

10. darksilencer

darksilencer Member

Bunnings one touch silver?

Try picking up some charcoal sometime, the flavour of it used in place or in addition to heat beads is amazing.

Oh much better first cook than myself, i jumped in doing a 10 hour pulled pork which ended up going out in the middle of the night :(

fantastic job btw

11. OP
    OP
    Uki

Uki Member

Thanks Dark Silencer - Yeah I learnt a lot from the cook - I picked up a Candy thermometer, so next time I will have better control of my temps - also, the snake method I would change slightly in the design and probably wouldn't bother with a drip pan next time - heard it gets better flavour - and I'll look into adding some charcoal for more flavour again.

I Think I'll give a pulled pork a go for my next cook - I'd suggest buying a chimney - its so much easier to light, and you'll avoid the problem of going out as you can always add more bricks :)

Well - the lamb it was quite hot and it only took 2-2.5 hrs - turned out pretty nice still with the marinade, had the leftovers last night and made kebabs which were pretty sweet.

The chicken was a bit longer (it was cooler by then) - around 4 hours I'd say. Was very nice and succulent.

12. darksilencer

darksilencer Member

Problem that without a drip try or anything under the cook your weber will get really dirty unless its directly over coals.

Oh the temp was too high because my snake wasnt stacked triple together instead of was double heatbeads with charcoal so i turned the vents a little too small which snuffed out the beads!

Got my maverick temp probe so it won't happen again :D

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  13. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

Darksilence, i was having a close look at your snake attempt.
    a few tips i can give you on the technique are

1. snake with 2-3 heatbeads
    2. dont double snake it creates too much heat and is wasted
    3. waterpan is essentially what controls the heat by working as an evap cooler to 100c

i did a snake on friday, as above, lit it at 6am and didnt even look at it again until 6pm, my mates kept on going over and looking at it.
    I was adiment my technique was going to work to the point of saying to them "look but dont tell me untill the end"
    i confirmed the temp hovered around 215-225F the ENTIRE day, only opened at 6pm to foil to get temp rise for an 8pm feed.

14. brad81

brad81 Member

Bought mine from Amazon for about $35. Well worth checking out

15. Dogo

Dogo Member

16. ronald_r32

ronald_r32 Member

how many beads do you use to start the snake?

17. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

the snake didn't seem to do anything? Besides if you light unburnt coals in your weber, dont you get the fuel taste through it?

18. Cypher

Cypher Member

I use about 12

Not true, unless you use the coals/heat beads infused with lighter fluid. The snake method is great for low and slow cooking, holding a steady low temperature (100-150deg) for a super long period of time. You add lit coals at the start of the snake and it slowly burns thru. Much better than the 'recommended' method of lighting all the coals, waiting for them all to ash over while the temp rises above 300, then waiting for the thing to cool down, then stuffing around having to add more coals and control the temperature.

19. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

i only light 6 myself but give the weber a good 45-1 hour to stabalise so i can adjust easily

20. HeCaTe

HeCaTe Member

Hi Guys,
    I read through this and decided to try the snake method when cooking some jerk chicken, pork prawns and ABT's over the weekend, I just read up a bit on a couple of different BBQ forums, couldn't find anywhere near as much info or discussion as there is on the minion method, I suppose 'minion method' is a much more unique search term than 'snake method', but I did try things like 'snake method bbq' or 'snake method charcoal'.

Anyway, it worked really very well for the first few hours, but then I had a bit of a temperature drop once the coal snake started 'turning' around with the curve of the BBQ I think? I've attached a couple of pictures of how I set it up, I had three heat-beads stacked in a triangle sort of setup, and then water-soaked big chunks of hickory for the first third of the snake, as well as some lump charcoal on top of the snake.

I ended up finishing my cook before getting halfway through the coal I had put out, the good thing about the snake was I could just break the continuity with some tongs, and there's still half the snake left for last time, but if I could work out how to maintain a solid temperature next time, I'd be a lot happier. I tried adjusting the air vents constantly, and nothing seemed to change, the temperature started off at 250F for the first 3 or so hours, then just dropped to around 200-210F and stayed down there.

Any assistance/advice would be awesome :)

I'm just getting started with the whole low and slow, absolutely loving it so far, and all the advice/comments thrown out on this and other forums have encouraged me to try so many different things, pulled pork is next on my list, just need to sort out the burn temperature issues.

I had the heat beads set up like the following, with then just some charcoal and water-soaked hickory chunks on top:
    [​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

The blue is the drip-tray full of water, the red is where I dropped the lit beads:
    [​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store