1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Company Invents Technology 100,000 Times Better

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by the scotsman, Aug 2, 2011.

1. renren

renren Member

It still looks pretty cool, however I'm aware that making things 'move' with this technology is almost impossible. This is why even the water they show in the scanned images is frozen in time.

If they want to use this technology to create 'living' 3d environments ALA computer games and movies, they are going to have to hybridize what they currently have with the tech in existing engines.

Once an environment made from voxels is rendered, I understand it actually requires very little CPU / graphics power. I'd be happy to have an environment scanned in using this tech, whilst having moving sprites and 3d mesh models - you'd be able to use higher quality models from the lack of environment being rendered in real time.

I think.

2. VL_BT1

VL_BT1 Member

What was the purpose of talking to these guys about lidar point cloud data? What benefits did your company hope to gain? From what I can gather these guys generate point could data from polygons, not vice versa

3. WRC

WRC Member

No it renders large point cloud data sets very quickly (or so they say).

You'll find most geospatial software programs struggle to display, rotate, zoom in and out etc in 3D with the large data sets that things like lidar pickups with 1cm resolution over square kilometres produce. This sort of data set is common in mining for things like topography for example. In most of the major players in our space, if you try to load up a lidar pickup of the topo for some of the bigger mines the graphics engines will slow to a halt or won't load at all if they are too large. So you end up resampling the data sets down to lower resolutions to make them workable for design purposes. Also the demos seem to demonstrate an ability to load the point cloud data extremely quickly whilst moving through it dynamically. Again something that I don't think we or any of our competitors would be capable of currently.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  4. ysu

ysu Member

May I ask what was the problem?
    And if you guys have seen an actual working real demonstration at any point?

5. WRC

WRC Member

My memory of the conversation isn't that good as it was only 5 mins about 12 months ago, but I vaguely remember the tech director saying they'd give us a prefabbed demo on a flash disk, but not anything we could use to test with our own data.

Although looking at their website it appears they offer an SDK. No idea if that was around when he looked at it last year. He was impressed with what it appeared to do. Not sure why he hasn't followed up any further to be honest.

Not sure if he took them up on their demo data offer.

6. Diode

Diode Member

Not surprising. They sound shonky. Are you able to tell us why it didn't' go anywhere?

7. VL_BT1

VL_BT1 Member

Very sorry to hijack this thread, but could I ask a few questions of you?

What type of lidar are you using to produce 1cm resolution data sets, (10 billion per sq km, assuming point and line distance is 1cm), Terrestrial, mobile or airborne?

Did your company find a solution to quickly viewing large data sets easily?

8. WRC

WRC Member

It's all airborne survey scans. Up until recently it's been flown by aircraft but we're starting to see a lot of companies buying autonomous drones like these (www.skycatch.com) and continually flying active mining areas 24/7.

As far as using the data goes, as I mentioned earlier everyone of the companies in our space that I know of down sample it to something like a 1m x 1m data density or larger or re-contour it to 1m contour intervals or larger to reduce the sheer size of the data sets. You can also save the data into smaller sections and just load the portions you need rather than the entire data set, sort of like map grid squares.

For design purposes down sampling on the scale I mention is more than accurate enough for mining purposes.

So no, no new ways of looking at the data as yet.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  9. VL_BT1

VL_BT1 Member

I am quite curious as to which company and what laser scanner could provide you with a data set with a 1cm resolution? unless we're thinking about different things.

The systems my company uses could only provide 1cm point spacing at 50ft AFL, which would be utterly impractical, not to mention extremely costly due to the number of passes required by the small swath width over a 1km/sq site area. Additionally, this doesnt take in to account the line spacing which would require the machine to operate well below 10kts which again is economically unviable

Again, sorry to Hijack this thread :tongue:

10. WRC

WRC Member

You're right. I should have said 15cm accuracy. My bad :D

Still produces very large data sets.

11. WRC

WRC Member

Double post.

12. Revenger

Revenger Member

Old thread but just posting as the company is still around and now into holographics and is apparently doing well in it and got a few awards for best technology etc.
    They say they went dark on unlimited detail due to backlash and to quietly work on refining it.

Was interested in seeing what their claims and stuff now.

They have a hollographic arcade in Queensland Holoverse and now in some other areas.
    They say their unlimited detail atom system is used as the renderer for Holoverse instead of polygons, anyone plan to go verify these claims for us?
    They also are still working on unlimited detail after moving to industry areas with laser scanning and still working to refine it before a public release for the gaming sector.
    I know huge bump from 2014 but still.

There youtube channel seemed to pop back up about 3 years ago from their initial vids 8 years back.

https://www.youtube.com/user/EuclideonOfficial/videos

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    JSmithDTV likes this.
  13. PRiME2007

PRiME2007 Member

Yes allot of people are probably aware that this company has gone full commercial with the tech and expanded into Holo-VR stuff. (its not really new tech, they just implemented better).

Its a real shame they couldn't produce a development engine from their UD tech, or even a public demo. Its clear they had some real obstacles to bypass that they weren't comfortable going full public with. Just little demo videos here and there.

I hope they can produce a public engine demo sometime in the future, but my guess is they will be bought out by one of the mega corps eventually and we won't be hearing much after that (full private closed doors sort of thing).

Being bought out by one of the huge tech companies seems to be the primary objective for allot of these startups!

14. boneburner

boneburner Member

I thought most of the backlash was because he sounded like a 1000x total twat - and I see he's kept his unique style....

The products may be real - but showing garbage images of full room VR dinosaurs being petted by ladies in sunfrocks - is so totally Bris-Vegas it's comical.

Fortigurn and Nethiuz like this.
  15. PRiME2007

PRiME2007 Member

Yeah true, however allot of people will never experience VR/AR so having a theme park setup isn't a terrible idea.
    I'd be more impressed if they also had more traditional VR setups to play with, however they seem pretty convinced with this augmented reality hologram stuff.

To be honest it will probably sell quite well to theme parks and give them the modern upgrade they need, but who knows when theme parks adopt this stuff... Imagine a water log ridge but with AR helmets on (water proof), be pretty cool.

16. Bert

Bert Member

Ah, Chlamidia is still around!

I guess their previous tech never really came to market, at least on the consumer side?

17. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

18. PRiME2007

PRiME2007 Member

I think 'returns' are coming from their Geoscape technology which does look nifty. I expect Google to buy Euclidean at some point in the future.

It's a real shame they can't make the game version of their engine a open-source release like so many others have done (Godot comes to mind). ATM they are being very secure about their technology which means minimal exposure and also likely means we will never see a video game use this technology, at least coming from Euclidean.

There is danger in conducting business in this way(tight lip, no exposure), and that is other less shy studios could release the same type of technology, completely beating them to market. I've seen it happen so many times its not funny!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Nethiuz likes this.
  19. Queenie

Queenie Member

mount and blade bannerlord 2 when?

20. Oktavius

Oktavius Member

March 31st 2020 :)

Only game I've been waiting on/interested in for a long time.