Australian Computer Museum Society Fundraiser

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Dellwood, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Dellwood

Dellwood Member

The ACMS has a new space in Sydney, and are raising funds to help fit it out as a museum, workshop and storage space for their collection. Their goal is $5,000 and they're just over a quarter of the way there. From what I've heard they've got a pretty good collection, a small sample of which is briefly shown in their campaign video.

Here's the link to the campaign: https://gf.me/u/y3nrx3
    Here's a link to their website if you want to make sure they're legit before handing over your hard earned: https://acms.org.au/

They're a not-for-profit charity, so donations should be tax deductible.

(Quick disclaimer - I'm not a member or affiliated with ACMS in any way; I just saw a tweet about it and thought others here might also think a computer history museum would be pretty cool!)

rugger, Zee, adz and 4 others like this.
  2. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

With any luck, all the stuff that folks took from their 2018 problems will be returned. I really hope these guys get back on their feet. They've got a lot of important stuff on file that needs to be properly curated and looked after.

Daft_Munt likes this.
  4. ozz

ozz Member

can they apply for a state government grant , its worthy of it, even approach their local member and ask them to put forward a proposal for it,

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    JSmithDTV likes this.
  5. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

These new guys didn't get off to the greatest of starts. That Adrian guy in the video caused a massive fuss when he took over a Facebook group that was previously linked to ACMS (I assume with the help of Facebook) and proceeded to dump all the moderators who had been managing as well as building the community up to what it was for years without warning. Needless to say it pissed a lot of people off resulting in the group fracturing with the majority of members bailing and going to a new group set up by one of the dumped mods.

I believe some of the animosity has been smoothed over as Adrian admitted fault over the way he handled it (he intended on keeping them on), but the damage has been done. Hell hath no fury like a nerd scorned. :lol:

6. elvis

Niche groups arguing on Facebook are precisely why I stay out of these things for the most part.

I wish folks would realise that the more exclusive and argumentative these things are, the more it pushes people away, and your pet project that is really only kept alive by positive nostalgia vibes quickly becomes extinct. :(

okclock123 likes this.
  7. Vanne

Vanne Member

I never had a microbee, nor did any of my mates, so nostalgic doesn't do it for me, however, I can easily see the importance of this for the Australian history of computing.

I would imagine this would be a job that's perfect for a government sponsored project.

Upwards and onwards..

JSmithDTV likes this.
  8. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Agree with Flamin Joe on this one - hostile take over of the FB group was poor judgement at best.

Also consider the "museum" is essentially a private collection that's never seen the light of day. I can think of some more deserving charities, personally.

9. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Yep 100% fuck these folx, the shit they pulled on the Australian Vintage Computer Group was beyond forgiveness and I really hope I never interact with any of these people ever again.

10. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Are these the same people that raped and piled the old museum when it got closed near long bay? Or trying to save it?

11. OP
    OP
    Dellwood

Dellwood Member

Not sure about the history, but I do remember seeing a video from Dave Jones when their warehouse was being cleared out. And I agree that it's pointless having a "museum" that's basically a private collection in a warehouse somewhere. Which is why I think this campaign is a good idea, since it's raising funds for a public museum to show off the collection.

As for the facebook stuff, I don't think anyone should be on there. It's a garbage platform run by a garbage human being, who believes the purpose of the platform is to turn people's private lives into profits. Just being on the platform is supporting that purpose.

rugger, adz and JSmithDTV like this.
  12. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Sounds good as a public museum. It looks like it will have more checks and balances than the private collection. They have some nice old gear from the website.

13. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

This doesn't excuse Adrian's tonedeaf and insulting behaviour one bit

14. OP
    OP
    Dellwood

Dellwood Member

True. But at the same time it's not really fair to tar the whole organisation with the same brush because of one member.

15. ozz

ozz Member

100% totally agree, i was on it for a brief time about 6-7 yrs ago, there was so much shit on there i deleted the account, so glad i did, now people worship it, cant see why its garbage

16. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Curious... are there similar operations around the place? Are these the only guys doing it in NSW?

17. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

He's not just 'one member', he's the CEO...

BuuBox likes this.
  18. elvis

From what I can tell the other places taking it seriously are all academic.

NFSA has a tiny bit, but it's really about a handful of games, and not the hardware.

Sadly the only private places that seem to give it a crack are all full of highly emotional old blokes, which is why I stay away from them.

19. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

If I was donating money, it'd be to my own collection first, before there's. (not to acquire more shite, just go get some more things working and/or complete + better storage including big ESD safe containers. i could go on)

notwithstanding that, whilst I appreciate their enthusiasm (regardless of the Drama that guy caused) and hopefully something more useful comes out of their 'new chapter' , I think they'll need to find their own feet initially though and put what money they do have where their mouth is, put more information out on their plans, and methodologies for how they're going to store/preserve/ display.

I also think it's important for a computer Museum to have as much gear as practical in a displayable and working state for people to get hands on with - obviously some stuff needs to be kept hands off and just preserved, but without an element of that, it's just a hoard in a better building.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    BuuBox and JidaiGeki like this.
  20. rugger

rugger Member

Meh, despite the drama here, I did throw a little money their way. Anyone starting a public computer museum deserves support.

Regarding Facebook, it can die in a fire. There is a reason I never signed up for it (apart from being a bit of a loner and not wanting to get involved in other people's lives)

adz likes this.