1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Garlic making a come back! FINALLY!

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by BurningFeetMan, Jun 11, 2010.

1. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Story as per below;

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/11/2925166.htm

Remember, when you're at your local green grocer or markets, ALWAYS insist on Australian grown garlic!!! Ask the shop assistant, store owner, or check out chick for the locally grown produce. If they don't make an effort for you then kick up a stink!

2. pugsley

pugsley Member

I dont think i can remember a time where i couldnt get Aussie garlic. Its everywhere.

Although to be fair i wasnt buying garlic in the 90's

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  3. yanman

yanman Member

Just as long as it isn't bleached!! Seriously wtf is with that. :Paranoid:

4. death

death Member

i thought garlic was seasonal? I havnt seen Australian garlic all year round.

I usually get any non Chinese garlic and do choose australian if they have it.
    The deli has Australian but its $30 a kilo. Coles has Argentinian garlic for like $13. I can't understand the huge price difference considering the Australian stuff is not imported.

5. pugsley

pugsley Member

Maybe its frozen/ fridged for the off season months. Like apples and the like are. :confused:

As for the price difference. Australia pays its farmers well (Compared to other countries). So they have to pass on the extra cost.

6. glasnt

glasnt Member

Hehe, it's funny, because Garlic is stinky. :p

7. vec

vec (Taking a Break)

Chinese garlic is the most readily available in stores these days yea?

8. glasnt

glasnt Member

Pretty much. You can tell the difference because the chinese garlic have their roots completely removed, where as the Aussie ones still have them attached (quarantine or something)

9. Iseneye

Iseneye Member

Garlic is incredibly easy to grow so if you have space in your yard you should try growing it yourself. The bulbs last for ages so if you grow enough it should last most of a year.

10. -=ButFli=-

-=ButFli=- Member

Who cares about garlic, all Australians should demand Australian (and hopefully locally grown) fruit and veg.

Keep your food-miles down for a healthier environment!

11. Orphan

Orphan Member

+1 for growing your own, even more so your own herbs, tomato's, capsicum and lettuce and ginger. Super easy, tastes way better and costs you nothing but a bit of time to get them going.

Not being anti-Australian but can they seriously expect consumers to choose to pay a number of multiples in price more for garlic just because it is grown here? Chinese garlic is pretty rubbish and mexican garlic is sometimes alright but until they grow enough to be able to drop the price I can't see all that many people backing it. I also highly doubt that it is the farmers getting most of the difference out of those prices like has been demonstrated with all produce. Just because its Austrlian doesn't mean it doesn't have to be at least mildly competative. Hopefully they don't go the way of ford and holden and tax the hell out of imports to bring the price up so local products pricing isnt so bad.

I am for Australian produce but I can say I and a great many others are not going to pay 3x+ the price for something just because it is grown here. What I would like to see is farmers markets or similar make a come back. The farmers get more for their goods and people get the produce usually significantly cheaper than in supermarkets. Seems people are too lazy to have to organise when to go shopping and would rather just duck out to rip-off-mart though, yay lets screw over both the farmers and ourselves :p

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  12. TOFUGil

TOFUGil Member

There's different kind of garlic??...so I guess the Coles ones are Chinese?..look very white/bleached...

13. dean_is_not

dean_is_not Member

I actually had to buy garlic the other day from Coles. The only stuff they had was Argentinian. :confused:

14. matthew-r88

matthew-r88 Member

not sure how interested ppl are in the topic just thought i would give a plug to landline who are featuring garlic farming in australia tomorow at midday on the ABC

i always buy the aussie garlic but the problem is when i goto the supermarket after 5 they only stock the imported stuff, at least here in regional vic thats the case anyway

15. Orphan

Orphan Member

Most garlics offered are VERY similar varieties it comes down to where and how it was grown. Chinese garlic is generally grown in poorer environments and is bleached, just to get rid of any undesirable color in the skin, it lacks a full flavour and you might not want to eat it if you know the conditions it is grown in. Australian garlic is usually grown in better soil giving it more flavor and good colour but the price is hardly justified compared to a good imported garlic. I personally have had good experience with mexican garlic which I would put it at as good as Australian garlic for flavour but it was still under half the price. I am not sure why the local prices are so high because it is easy to grow and needs very little attention as it naturally deters most insects.

16. AussieHusky

AussieHusky Member

My first pick is always Aussie garlic, then Mexican & Argentinian. I wont buy the Chinese crap any more, tastes of nothing, has no oil/juice in it, and has the texture of cardboard.

I'd rather go without than use that garbage.

17. baby_ute

baby_ute Member

Australian garlic is not in season now. i think we get them in summer.

18. Devils

Devils (Taking a Break)

The Chinese garlic is acrid & dead (ie will not shoot).
    Its crap.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Would they even have a clue? They would read the sticker on the packet/box just like you can : p

20. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

I buy my garlic from a local grower who ties the brown leafy part on top of the bulb into long plaits that you can hang about your kitchen as decoration.

Omly available at one time of the year so I buy about 3-4 plaits and thats enough for me for a year.

Has wonderfull flavour and looks nice hangin in the kitchhen too.