Authorities ruining fun

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by kingmoron, Feb 2, 2009.

1. kingmoron

kingmoron Member

Had a convention yesterday in Perth, wasnt massive but quite a few people in and out, 1000-1500 maybe? but anyways to the point. Just outside the convention centre is a major bus station. I was with my mate and i decided to get some money from an atm.

my friend went and sat down nearby ~8m away while i grabbed some cash. while i was waiting for the atm to dispense my cash i snapped a quick pic of my mate when he was looking away. i then let go of my camera and grabbed my card and cash and was putting into my wallet when a perth transport guy comes up 'excuse me why did you take a picture of that guy' I sighed and said because hes my mate and said his name and the we walked off.

obviously people like this piss me off, it was clearly just a quick snap pointed directly at a person (unless i plan on photographing a pin then put a bomb in it) and i was even making my way out. What would you guys of done if it were you? I realised i could be a bit of a smart ass to him, but i remember about some anti terrorism laws that apply to public transport so i thought i shouldn't push my luck.

A similar issue happened a couple years back at a public skate park. There was a competition on and had some decent tricks being pulled. I was taking a few pics and some guy with the organiser or something asked me who im with, i told him i was just doing it for fun for myself and he said that they have their own personal photographer and would like it if I didnt take pictures. I told him that this is a public event and I dont care who else takes photos im taking some too. He then proceeded to tell me that some of the parents are here and they dont like people taking pictures of their kids etc. I said if anyone objects I wont take any pics of them if they wish, but theyre here to pull some tricks, maybe win some prizes and what not and to show off. I then walked over to take some pics from another side.

ps i dont really dress like a pedofile/terrorist, normally black pants/black shirt and have a 400d w/24-105, 580ex II

2. Drew_

Drew_ Member

I norm. ignore them, might mutter something. Never hang around long enough for them to get on their high horse.

3. manic311

manic311 (Banned or Deleted)

thing I fear is this will get worse over time, people are getting so paranoid and are so misinformed these days :( Sad times we live in IMO.

4. methd

methd Member

carry two pro cameras (integrated grip) with two massive lenses.. and you never get questioned... they actually come up to you and ask questions about what camera they should buy.

5. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

Welcome to a society where if you look Arabian, you're a terrorist, if you're black you're a rapist/murderer, if you're white you're a paedophile and if you're Asian you're a bloody tourist.

*Note - I am just commenting on societies fear of race, not actually labelling any race*

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  6. FB008

FB008 Member

helps when you can speak another language so you can pretend that you're a tourist and don't understand english

7. Sobbsy

Sobbsy Member

Just read an article in the local paper today (Sunshine Coast Daily) about a guy just down the beachfront here taking snaps of people playing Volleyball... Some parents (entirely out of frame and off having a BBQ) saw him and got the authorities to come along, fearing he was taking photos of children. They removed the man from the beach and told him that unless he had consent from the people there, he couldn't take their pictures.

Fuck. That. I take pictures down there all the time (though not so much recently, haven't had the time), and this is just plain RETARDED. Words fail me to describe how stupid this is...

8. trentski

trentski Member

Been covered here a few times before, it is not illegal to take photos of people in a public place. The more people that stand up for their rights, the more rights we will have

9. DanWA

DanWA Member

That sounds so stupid, there is way too many conspiracy theorists around nowdays!

10. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

Theres a Photography Rights document floating around here somewhere. Its in pdf form and easily printed.

I would advise that you print it out and keep it in your bag. If parents/authorities approach you just say to them you would be happy to take them through the document and show them that you are well within your rights to take Pictures in public areas.

11. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Has anyone successfully done this though? Its one thing to stand up for your rights, but its another thing to go to jail over it (purely because the Cop decides to make an example of you for some other excuse).

12. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

not successfully (if by successful you mean not goto jail) one of our members tried it and got put in jail over night though :) makes for a great storey

13. telefragd

telefragd Member

I was there (at WAI-CON) too. It was a nice change to go to an event and actually be encouraged/welcomed to take photos.

14. nakey

nakey Member

Waicon was this weekend?

Cosplayers love to have their photo taken. in 7 years of Manifests (3 just for photography, one as staff photographer), i've had 2 cosplayers that didn't. one didn't think her Mizuho Kazami cosplay was good enough for photos, one was probably a wise decision given it was Bridget... Hell, i get called upon to take photos of cosplayers out of convention :)

(shoot, that reminds me, Sailor moon cosplay pics to PP, brb)

15. Sharkx

Sharkx Member

16. teegman

teegman Member

It's time we took action against this shit. Who's up for a sting?
    With a little co-ordination surely it wouldn't be too difficult to get hard video footage of 'authorities' overstepping the mark and unlawfully breaching our liberties. . ...

17. Deckham

Deckham Member

18. Pengoz

Pengoz Member

lol and what exactly does a terrorist or pedo wear?

If you are a terrorist, the object is to blend in ;). Also pedos tend to be a close family member, friend of the famil or just someone the victim would know; so they blend in too.

What did you mean by not dressing like one?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  19. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Black Pants/shirt and carry DSLR around. :Paranoid: It was in the pedo/terro guide.

20. Pengoz

Pengoz Member

I thought thats just what greek removalists wear.