auto-elevate = turning off UAC?

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by ryooma, Nov 19, 2008.

1. ryooma

ryooma (Banned or Deleted)

I have tried turning off UAC before (via msconfig I think or control panel) and I've gotten problems installing MS Office.

Since then, I just set my PC to auto-elevate to administrator.

I created the thread because Security center is complaining UAC is turn-off. I suppose it's not really off in a sense.

any ideas?

Thank you

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  2. power

power Member

tell the security center to shut-up?

seriously you can, also when i installed Vista i set myself up as administrator - can't remember how.

to turn off security center whinging go to the security center and hit change the way the security center alerts me and set it to Don't notify me and don't display the icon.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  3. Sindarin Ultra

Sindarin Ultra Member

To turn off the 'UAC is off omigawd!' notification, use this registry key

(paste it into notepad and save the file as a .reg then double click on it and say yes)

4. OP
    OP
    ryooma

apologies if I probably wasn't clear with my description :)

I am asking if auto-elevate to admin is the same as turning off UAC.

thank you. :)

5. power

power Member

not 100% certain but i'm pretty sure it's not.

6. Assasinator_2

Assasinator_2 (Banned or Deleted)

No, it is not. UAC does several things other than pop up windows asking for authorisation on certain aspects of windows.

I suggest you give XdN Tweaker a whirl if you honestly really cannot deal with having UAC around. That way, you don't have to completely turn it off and lose several of its other benefits if you are unable to use a computer properly and thus keep getting elevation prompts.

7. Iceman

Iceman Member

Using a computer properly huh? Like not doing stupid shit that results in it being infected with malware and viruses?

UAC is simply a pain in the arse. Don't for a second think that it's going to save someone who doesn't know what the hell they're doing.

They're just going to click 'ok' when it asks them for the 459th time if they really wanted something to happen.

8. Assasinator_2

They are going to do that because they are stupid regardless of the operating system. If the same type of person learned to type sudo [command] to perform everything that didn't work the first time, they'd do that indiscriminately also. That is a moot point.

The fact of the matter is that UAC will not pop up in the majority* of circumstances unless you incorrectly use your computer - that is, you try to write to system directories or modify system settings. Why would you be doing that constantly? It is nothing more than a bad habit due to the unguided nature of previous windows operating systems, and is the equivalent to a linux user storing everything in /root.

In linux circles, doing that would get you shot. In windows circles, storing files in a system directory is considered the OS's fault when it tells you not to. Go figure.

It is only a pain in the arse if you do not know how to use a computer in the first place. Of course, the people who don't know how to use a computer in the first place are also those who will indiscriminately press 'yes' to every box without reading it, but that's a different matter entirely and is a debate about the implementation of UAC's design, rather than the reasoning behind UAC itself.

If you're someone who knows what they're doing with a computer and you don't sit there tweaking settings all day for fun (aka: most people who use a computer), then you will not see UAC frequently at all. If you disagree with me on this statement, you are wrong.

9. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Nice post, Assassinator 2. Spot on accurate in every regard.

ryooma, you should still be running with UAC actually enabled, despite the Security Center prompt. Processes should still be running as a standard user. To demonstrate it in action, try this:

Open a Command Prompt window, and try save a file to the C:\ root directory. You should see an 'Access denied' error message, if you've configured correctly.

Auto elevation should simply be silently approving processes marked for elevation, without generating the Secure Desktop prompts. Right-click the Command Prompt shortcut and choose 'Run as Administrator'. Doing that should fire it up without a Secure Desktop prompt, of you've configured correctly.

The Security Center nag is an anomoly/bug. To get rid of it, as mentioned in post #2, use the 'Change the way Security Center alerts me' setting.

10. OP
    OP
    ryooma

thanks everyone! :)

I prefer auto-elevate vs turning UAC off completely because of my previous error with MS office.

11. Assasinator_2

XdN Tweaker can tweak it like this. You can make it completely auto-elevate, but still have all the other underlying features active, which is a compromise some enjoy (such as what you suggest yourself would be good for you).

12. gaspah

gaspah Member

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Create DWORD "EnableBalloonTips"

Log off, Log on... problem solved

you're welcome..

13. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

^

As a corrective measure, that's kinda like cutting your arm off becaue a splinter in your finger is annoying.

14. Assasinator_2

We don't want to be. That's a ridiculous fix.
    Go into security centre in control panel and click the left-hand option 'change how security centre alerts me'. That'll disable balloon tips only for that security centre bit.

Alternatively, XdN should keep it quiet IIRC.

15. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Which is what anybody with half a poofteenth of sense is gonna wanta do, because there isn't an alert on that bit which anybody with half a poofteenth of sense is gonna wanta see!

AV is out of date? If the AV proggie is worth having and is installed/configured appropriately, the tray icon is gonna notify me about that!

Firewall is disabled? Auto-updating turned off? AV turned off? If any of those are the case then it's because I fucken turned them off. I already bloodywell know!

But there's plenty other 'balloon tips' which can get generated and which actually CAN be useful.

:D

16. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

youll never see UAC pop up for me, because im using Vista with Administrator account (renamed of course)

its like how we always ddi it in windows XP!,if yovue ever used a normal xp account with install rights you get constant are you sure you want to run this messeges a la UAC defults in vista. nothing has changed, just the polocy is now set safer by default.

17. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

You so, so don't understand what UAC is!

Suggest you read up on the concept of 'least user privilege' operation. XP didn't have it. Vista does, and it's what UAC really is. All you are seeing is system prompts, and thinking that one type of system prompt is the same thing as a completley different type of system prompt.

You're looking at a chocolate sundae and not even wondering if it's been made with ice cream or with cheap-shit ice confection :)

18. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

Sweet... i have been wanting to get rid of that "UAC is turned off" message.

19. Assasinator_2

Actually, I quite like it telling me that Windows Defender and friends are turned off. For example, I might briefly disable my AV on-guard protection to stop disk thrashing if I'm doing something specific, and the glaring red shield icon is a good reminder that it's off and that I should turn it back on asap.

So really, someone with a poofteenth of sense can find them useful.

You have absolutely no clue about the crap you're dribbling whatsoever. I wouldn't trust you with an administrator account on an etch-a-sketch.

20. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Perhaps I should modify the comment to "someone with half a poofteenth of sense and no signs of early onset dementia/memory loss..."?

:D

hahahahaaa!