Automated backups and offsite storage

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Lazlo999, Feb 18, 2021.

1. davros123

davros123 Member

...well you'd just rollback the snaps/folder to prev. version ...but yeah, offsite is a good thing anyway :)

2. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Yes i could do if i had snapshots setup, but im running the array at like 90% capacity which is bad enough without snapshots configured, i really need to upgrade my drive capacities but thats beyond the scope of this thread :)

3. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

I am in the process of trying to properly setup my small business storage needs. I work from home and am in the process of getting setup in a factory to do meat-space work. My existing storage is a Linux box at home with a bit of storage redundancy in the box itself, which backs up nightly, and a USB backup hard drive that I occasionally remember to plug in and do a (manual) backup - lol I'm a storage noob. I also have some random shit on Google drive and a bunch of stuff on my laptop. Clearly less than ideal and I recognise I need to get my shit together and have a common repository and proper off-site backups.

I have a server installed at my new factory space. I have spun up a TrueNAS VM and was considering using Backblaze (cos looks cheapest and I recognise the name) to cloud sync what is currently about 300gb of stuff that I care about. I will also sync that with the box at home and hooray I should have local access to everything whether I'm at home or at the factory space. Do you kind generous people think this is a reasonable solution?

4. davros123

davros123 Member

sounds good to me. I'd think it would be better to run a vpn into your factory for accessing files.

5. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Thanks, that's not a bad idea, although might be tough to get it past the hierarchy at the (shared) factory space.

6. Renza

Renza Member

Backblaze will only run on Windows or MacOS, and you can't get it to backup network drives. Unless you mean B2

Syncthing works great to sync two+ locations. I have just copied 3tb of data over my nbn connection from Melbourne to Adelaide using it

dirtyd likes this.
  7. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Yeah I meant B2. I signed up with Backblaze and played around with s3cmd, seems simple enough. Thanks for the tip about Syncthing :thumbup:

8. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

I use rclone myself, just make sure you use the --fast-list option to reduce the transactions. I have it running overnight, have taught the wife to backup her folders in her named folder on the file server, and they sync overnight.

davros123 and dirtyd like this.
  9. Unframed

Unframed Member

Datto's cloud was, when I last saw it was a proto version of another vendor's that they licensed and it was pretty trash. Storagecraft's cloud offer was pretty decent when I last used it and they handle all the seeding and stuff too.