Automated PDF Encryption Script

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by beaco, Oct 19, 2020.

1. beaco

beaco Member

I'm looking for people to help me test a script for automated PDF encryption. With your help I can get rid of any potential bugs and improve it.

Whilst this script is designed to encrypt PDF files, it could be modified to automatically perform any action when files are dropped or modified in a specific folder.

In the past I had a workflow where the scanner dropped a PDF file into a folder and then used other software to automatically pick it up and process it (compression, encryption etc).

The idea of this script is that you (or your scanner software) drops a PDF file in a monitored folder and then it is automatically encrypted.

I've used a couple of different software titles to do this over the years but all were a bit problematic/buggy. I finally got around to scripting it in powershell.

Please download and test it. I don't know much about powershell so I'm sure it can be improved.

Details at: https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdffoldermonitor/files/

2. Slug69

Slug69 Member

So are you building a ransomware script?

For printing companies this might be a handy way to protect clients files while they have them within their network.

3. OP
    OP
    beaco

beaco Member

Actually, I use it as part of my scanning workflow. Scanner drops a file in the monitored folder and then it is automatically encrypted.

This won't actually work for ransomware. It is the opposite really, the password used by the script is encoded into a file that only the end-user can decrypt. So it's hidden from everyone except the end-user (the opposite of a ransomeware situation).