Awesome HTPC keyboard

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by TheBear21, Sep 11, 2012.

1. power

power Member

2. Dr X

Dr X Member

Forget backlit and just get a Logitech K400 or 400R for peanuts.

3. li21

li21 Member

I have considered these,right up there on my list, but they dont have media buttons eg play, pause, volume etc which I would use for my HTPC
    :(

4. jobski

jobski Member

5. li21

li21 Member

Looks good! whats the reception and range like on these things?

6. Dr X

Dr X Member

7. Dr X

Dr X Member

8. li21

li21 Member

9. Dr X

Dr X Member

The media bottons/keys are the primary ones and to use the Function (F) keys which are secondary you have to hold down the the blue FN key.

The keys are different from the K400 as can be seen here: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...12%2F05%2Flogitech-k400-review.html;1600;1200

I don't think you can easily buy the K400 anymore and the K400R is the replacement I assume. I reckon the media keys on the K400R might be more up your alley anyway.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  10. li21

li21 Member

Thanks! I'm sold:)
    Going to visit my local officeworks tomorrow :D

11. miicah

miicah Member

The K400R is the same except it has a Windows 8 logo instead of the XP styled one.

Also, the keyboard is amazing except for one thing: I can't seem to press CTRL-F5, because you need to hit FN-F5 to get it and it won't accept SHIFT-FN-F5 as a combo.

12. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

I've been looking for a media center keyboard for a while. Unless I am missing something, why for the love of god, is there nothing with:
    • wireless
    • full sized
    • backlit
    • touchpad
    • media keys

Maybe I am asking too much, but all are sought after features for a HTPC keyboard. I can't think of anything I could compromise on without making the whole idea redundant.

13. power

power Member

I mentioned it already but you guys are doing it wrong, got a spare Android (or even one as your primary) use that as a remote.

You will get

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Relmtech.Remote&hl=en

14. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

A phone/tablet is too small and fiddly to function as a keyboard for browsing or system editing. I'll just wait for a manufacturer to realise there is an open market here.

15. OP
    OP
    TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Yeah I've tried them before too and they do the job, just. It's painful but you will get there.

16. whowalks

whowalks Member

17. Dr X

Dr X Member

When I want to do computer stuff I use the Logitech K400.

When I want to use my computer for HPTC stuff, I use a Logitech Harmony 1100i with the Microsoft Media remote programmed in. I don't want/need a keyboard to do HTPC stuff.

18. power

power Member

I have a Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000 set (backlit) and I'll be honest, it gets almost no use since I put that app on the phones in my house. I have an old HTC desire that's exclusively used for a remote and the app on mine and the mrs phones - so at any given time we have the MCE remote and our phones in a pinch. I will literally be in the middle of reading something, switch to the remote change volume, choose some different media, etc and then switch back without ever putting the phone down - bloody convenient.

You don't need line of sight of any description it uses a client/server (so as long as both devices are connected to your network). you get a touch mouse, a full mce remote and the same keyboard as you would use if you were doing email or sms which is just fine for me.

Anyway I was pointing it out because I think it's worth considering and I've done a couple of different keyboards. The touch mouse is way better than any other touch style mouse I've tried to use and I never have to get up as phones are always in reach.

I don't really do any browsing though, I have my phones or tablet for that.

19. Dr X

Dr X Member

OK I tried Unified Remote last night. No it's not going to replace my IR remote as it's not as good for doing HTPC stuff and it's not as good as my K400 for computer stuff. But thanks for the suggestion and I'm glad I tried it out; this is a good thread.

20. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member