[PROJECT] Axial Yeti RC Rock Racer build

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Widman, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Widman

Widman Member

I'm after a decent off-road all weather RC Car. I have no idea where to even start - google throws up too many options. Would prefer a build it yourself kit, or perhaps some links to examples of people who have build their own from parts.

Budget $500 $1000 What price fun?:tongue:

Maybe something like this Losi Nightcrawler?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  2. melbnut

melbnut Member

traxxas Stampede 4x4 vxl

3. pelmen

pelmen Member

Traxxas Summit, just all round awesome fun whether rock crawling or monster trucking around.

4. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

Summit wont come close to fitting his $500 budget. Stampede 4x4 isnt too bad a choice.

Are you after a rock crawler/trail truck style of vehicle? Just going on your LNC suggestion.

My go to all weather vehicle is usually my axial wraith, but like the summit suggestion it would be a bit outside your $500 budget once you factor in all the extras you'll need to be up and running. I've been considering waterproofing my axial yeti too for something a bit faster during winter. I've got quite a few different style vehicles though, so happy to help answer any questions.

[​IMG]

5. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

SCX10 hands down mate:leet:

Nightcrawlers need a bit of work to keep them running, those worm drives can be a pain in the arse

6. XR6DAn

XR6DAn Member

Nice collection.

7. OP
    OP
    Widman

Widman Member

XR6DAn is right - nice collection

Budget adjusted upwards after doing a bit more reading.... man I gotta stop with the expensive hobbies

I'm after something fast, tough and able to handle mud. With decent battery life.

On doing a bit more looking around I think something like the Axial Yeti (kit for $489) might be better. What needs to be done to waterproof it 0M39A_1337?

8. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

You either need to pick waterproof electronics or waterproof them yourself. If I do decide to waterproof mine, I'll use conformal coating, as its worked well for me in the past.

A yeti build can quickly get quite expensive. By the time you factor in the cost of a half decent motor, esc, servo, bec, lipo and radio gear, and a couple hopups you'll be looking at roughly the cost of the kit again.

Out of the box the yeti has a few notable weak points. The steering is very flimsy plastic, the stock rear driveshaft doesnt hold up to much punishment and the plastic motor mount can twist, leading to stripped spur gears.

Thats just the main weak points.

Don't get me wrong, I think its a great vehicle and don't regret mine at all, they just need a bit of work out of the box.

You can see what I've done to mine here: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=17084767&postcount=7015

And thats still not complete. Still need to get some decent rear upper links, trailing arms and new foams for the tyres (I've been running the pitbull rock beast xor's with crawler innovation foams off my wraith lately which work much better)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  9. OP
    OP
    Widman

Widman Member

I just love diving into these rabbit holes .... I like the look of the Axial RR10 Bomber now!

I think speed and jumps in dirt and wet is the use case for this machine. Perhaps later we can consider technical rock crawling and such.

So Bomber vs Wraith vs Yeti?

Or something not axial ...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  10. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

Yeti has potential to go much faster than a bomber, due to the independent front suspension and unlocked front diff (vs solid and locked both ends on a bomber).

With your new increased budget though, I'd probably look more at a summit now though, or even an arrma kraton. They have potential to go a decent bit faster, and they are a fair bit bigger.

11. OP
    OP
    Widman

Widman Member

Kratons and Summits seem to be a little bit harder to source in Adelaide? Are they older models that have been superseded? Kits seem even harder to find.

They look awesome, but I feel I would rather source things locally rather than wait constantly for parcels to arrive from overseas vendors! Speaking of which for future reference .... is Tower Hobbies a good site for us AU residents?

ModelFlight (near enough to my LHS) has the following bits:

Axial Yeti 1/10 Rock Racer Kit
    In Stock $489.99 $489.99

Tekin RX8 GEN2 ESC Combo with T8 GEN2 Buggy Motor
    In Stock $499.99 $499.99

Spektrum DX4R Pro 4ch DSMR Radio System
    In Stock $399.99 $399.99

Thunder Power 5300mAh 4S 14.8V Velocity Series 70C LiPo, Deans
    In Stock $235.99 $471.98

Ultra Power 680AC 80W AC/DC Charger
    In Stock $99.99 $99.99

Prime RC LiPo Safety Sack (300mm x 230mm)
    In Stock $18.99 $18.99

Spektrum SRS4210 4-Channel DSMR AVC Receiver

* FREE!
    In Stock $0.00 $0.00

yeah budget blown ..... by a lot ..... It's only money :tongue:

More questions, if you don't mind:

Is that all I need?

I figure I'll buy the upgrade parts as/when I break them? Anything I should just go ahead and buy a spare for coz breakage is inevitable?

T8 Gen2 or Pro4HD? Or something else?
    2650kV? The Tekin T8s range from 1400kV to 2650kV

3S/4S/5S/6S LiPo? If money was no object would more cells and higher discharge rating be better or is there some sort of sweet spot?

I picked 4 channel to allow for future upgrade path like remote locking diffs and adding gears.

What do I need to do to make this stuff properly waterproof?

Sorry for treating you like a wiki....:thumbup:

12. OP
    OP
    Widman

Widman Member

I need to add a steering servo I think?
    And servo horn upgrade?

13. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

That motor won't fit in a yeti without a big chunk taken out of the battery tray. 68mm is the longest that will fit stock.

Holmes puller pro xl 3100kv or tekin pro4hd 3000kv on 3s are the general hot ticket.

Mamba max pro or Holmes brxl (same thing but with different firmware, a better inbuilt bec and option of factory waterproof) are great esc's.

I'll update later when I'm on a pc with some good waterproofing guides.

Those batteries are crazy overkill for a yeti. I only run zippy compact 2200mah 45c 4s packs in mine, around 35 a pop from memory, haha.

Servo wise, I can't speak enough praise for the rcomg d3-st-bf30s. Run one in my wraith and if I had the spare change would run one in my yeti too. Loads of torque, plenty fast, factory waterproof and 2 year was.

Tower hobbies is excellent, I've spent way too much there...

Neither the summit or kraton come as a kit afaik.

I really dislike spektrum radio gear. Cheap feeling and dsm is prone to glitching. Sanwa/airtronics (my personal preference) or futaba are my top choices.

That charger is a little on the weak side, would take you around 2 hours to charge the batteries you picked. Go for something at least 200w. I use a thunder power tp820cd which is an 800w dual channel charger that can charge at 20a, cutting charge time down to under half an hour for all the packs I use.

For out of the box yeti upgrades, I posted a few earlier in the thread.

14. OP
    OP
    Widman

Widman Member

You did mention those out-of-the-box upgrades, I hope I have chosen some good gear to overcome those deficiencies.

So here we are. Model Flight is too exxy, unfortunately. Saved nearly $800 on a very similar set of gear from Tower Hobbies, meaning I could buy more stuff! They have a heap more accessories, saving me ordering from several different stores.

Kit:
    Axial 1/10 Yeti Rock Racer 4WD Kit
    Aus$ 447.34

Motor and ESC:
    Castle Creations 1/8 Mamba Monster X WP ESC/2200kV
    Aus$ 368.75
    - Chose this because combo deal saves a bit of money. Any concerns about this motor?
    - I thought the WP would mean it was waterproof, but the tech notes say that it should not be submerged, as the fan/cooling unit is not waterproof. So should we consider this merely water resistant or is that them covering their arses?

Motor Mount:
    STRC Aluminum Motor Mount/Motor Cam Combo Yeti
    Aus$ 40.65

Steering Servo
    Hitec D845WP D-Series Mega Scale WP Servo
    Aus$ 135.55

Axial Aluminum Servo Horn 24T
    Aus$ 18.96
    - I think my googlefu has confirmed that this is the right # of teeth for the Hitec?

Radio and Receiver
    Futaba 4PLS 4-Channel S-FHSS Telemetry System
    Aus$ 338.91

Cool bit of kit just because I can
    Castle Creations Telemetry Link Futaba S.Bus
    Aus$ 66.78

Front end and steering upgrades
    Hot Racing Alum Graphite Steering Bellcrank AXI Yeti
    Aus$ 59.48
    - Kit containing all needed parts for the steering assembly?

Hot Racing Aluminum Front Body Mount Base AXI Yeti
    Aus$ 25.59

Hot Racing Aluminum Front Shock Tower for Yeti
    Aus$ 39.15

Hot Racing CNC Aluminum Front Suspension Arm Yeti
    Aus$ 45.93

Hot Racing Alum/Carbon Fiber Front Bulkhead/Skid Plate
    Aus$ 66.26

- The Yeti kit seems to come with metal turnbuckles and also metal front axles. Does that lot do enough to toughen up the front end for now?

Rear driveshaft
    MIP X-Duty Rear C-Drive Kit Yeti
    Aus$ 46.08
    - The Yeti Kit has a WildBoar HD Rear Driveshaft. Is this sufficient? I figure that it isn't as I've found several other Yeti Kit builds that have used the MIP.

Charger
    WiFi Module/X2 Pro 2 Port AC/DC Charger Combo
    Aus$ 288.72
    - The Wifi link might help me to remember to not leave the LiPo's charging .....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'll pick up some batteries in Oz to avoid shipping restrictions.

There's bound to be a few bits not included, like wiring?

I'll probably need to buy some tools ;) I have a cordless driver, but probably not small enough bits, but I assume they'll be easy enough to pick up here in SA?

And is it worth getting a stainless steel screw kit like this
    RC Screwz Stainless Steel Screw Kit 1/10 Yeti 4WD
    Aus$ 50.14

Might chuck in some lights as well to bling it up a bit.

Waddaya think? Will it be a beast?

PS. Would love to hear your waterproofing tips. I've seen some pretty "ghetto mods" around....

15. antstar

antstar Member

Don't drive r/c cars but a lot of planes.
    I would not order that charger - get an icharger 308 duo or a powerlab PL8 for around a similar price and make yourself a psu from an old server power supply.
    This charger will last you the life of the hobby, and if you decide to sell will still be worth something.

16. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

Off the top of my head that motor is way too long, it's 75mm, the maximum the yeti van take without modification is 68mm.

The two I linked earlier really are all the power the yeti needs. What I run is considered overkill by many.

That servo won't fit either, it's a 1/5 scale.

Agree with above about getting a good quality charger if you can afford it. It will save you in the long run.

Onetencrawlers.com.au sells plenty of yeti hopups for decent prices in Australia.

The stock wb8 shaft won't last long under big power, they end up twisting. I've had no issues with the mip in mine.

Alloy arms are a big no no, stick to rpm plastic. Problem is alloy bends and stays bent. Plastic flexes and goes back or worst case snaps. Rpm are fantastic quality.

I'm not personally sure of the quality of the stock knuckles and chubs, I went with vanquish from the start when I built the truck.

I use arrowmax tools, highly recommend them. I have both hex drivers and removable tool tips for my cordless driver. I got them from rcmart for a good price.

For waterproofing I use conformal coating, works well and is easy to use. Things like servos though can be tricky to waterproof properly, so I normally just start with a waterproof servo from the start. Esc's and motors are easy, just remove them from their case and spray/brush/dip in conformal coating, let dry and reinstall. A good squirt of dielectric grease in the sensor port (if running sensored, which I recommend due to the crawler roots of the vehicle) and you're off.

17. OP
    OP
    Widman

Widman Member

Man you guys are up even later than me. I really appreciate your advice.:thumbup:

So I've swapped the motor to the Tekin Pro4HD 300kV
    The ESC remains the same

I found your recommended RCOMG servo at onetencrawlers but can only find this futaba servo horn in 25T. Do you think it will fit?

Also picked up some CI Deuces Wild foams and a front bumper insert.

Still having trouble finding those chargers you have mentioned. Are the "battery shops" like battery world good places to go for these sorts of things?

Anyway -the rest of the gear is on the way!

18. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

oneten only have the A2-AA-2220C in stock dont they? Not nearly enough torque imo.

If you're using the mmx esc, I think you need a special sensor harness? Very vague on that one, you might have to do some research.

You can find the pl8 here: http://www.progressiverc.com/fma-powerlab-8.html
    Arguably one of the better chargers money can buy.

This is what I run: https://www.amainhobbies.com/thunde...dual-port-charger-w-balancer-thp820cd/p191625

Battery world probably wouldnt have a clue what you're talking about.

As for up late, I work nights ;)

19. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

i hate to be 'that guy'... but hobbyking are probably the best place to go for cheap lipos. The nano-tech are good value/quality and the graphene ones have some real punch for some extra $$

20. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

Turnigy graphene packs are some of the best batteries getting around, it's just a nice convenience that they are well priced too.