[PROJECT] Axial Yeti RC Rock Racer build

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Widman, Jun 8, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    Widman

Widman Member

Doppelganger

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  2. OP
    OP
    Widman

Widman Member

Far out this is a deep and expensive rabbit hole. Initial budget probably blew out by a factor of 6 by the time I reached the bottom. And I can only imagine that there is more to come. Just gotta figure out some way to claim it all on tax :leet:

I'll be back when I have all the bits and can't figure out how to put them all together :tongue:

Thanks for your input guys. Looking forward to fanging this thing around my paddocks!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  3. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

For inspiration, here's some crummy video of me fanging my yeti around a little. Sorry for the quality, its hard to hold a camera and drive at the same time...

4. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

research and development :Pirate:

5. pelmen

pelmen Member

Maybe no longer relevant to OP. I bought my Summit from Mild To Wild in Brisbane, ordered online. Never broken anything on the Summit, its held up well for me. Didn't come with a charger (I blieve at the time they came with one at least in usa), had a charger from hobbyking though so nothing else to buy. have been happy with the stock batteries it came with and getting upgrade batteries for better performance is expensive, the SPC batteries i think are the best to use with a stock summit but delivery costs were more than the batteries because of batteries through the post regulations. So whatever you go for it may be worth considering bundling upgrade batteries with your purchase up front.

Good luck with whatever you go with!

6. pelmen

pelmen Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Widman
    Just gotta figure out some way to claim it all on tax

transportation? electric powered = green too

7. TomJ

TomJ Member

This thread is awesome. I might get one.

I remeber when I was about 14 my brother had one and I accelerated it into the pool fence. It slammed into it so hard the suspension fully depressed and it was stuck on it's belly. The fuel tank split as well, whoops :Paranoid:

8. bYrd

bYrd Member

I picked up a Traxxas Summit for $200 second-hand recently, it came to me in questionable condition covered in mud and visibly rusty screws/end links, one crushed wheel (came with a spare).

Spent a week stripping it down and rebuilding and it's come up a treat, the bottom of the truck is scuffed but that's expected and stock spares are $10 - 15 from Jenny's RC in the states. It's a good all-round RC car - a master of none but fast enough, strong enough and big enough to have a good bit of fun with. Worth a look as if you can find a cheap second-hand one it shouldn't need too much spent on it (apart from batteries) to get it running.

9. OP
    OP
    Widman

Widman Member

It begins!

Tower Hobbies really is great. When I logged on early Tuesday I found out I was eligible for a US$250 discount coupon if the order was over US$1250. So I cancelled the initial order and re-did it, grabbing a couple of extra bits to bump the total up, then I spent the $250 on even more bits and bobs. :tongue:

Amazingly the stuff I ordered from them in the US on Tuesday morning (Aus time) had cleared Aus customs in Sydney by this morning (Thursday). I know because I got the phone call this morning saying you have to pay for GST, import duties and customs charges and something or other. There goes the $250 ....
    Yet somehow it is going to take until Monday to get from Sydney to Adelaide :thumbdn:

Technically this is supposed to be a 10th birthday present for my son :p, which was Tuesday, so I grabbed the Yeti kit from my LHS so that he would actually have a big box to open on the day. It was only about $40 more expensive here in Aus, but the shipping would have been nearly $100 extra, so saved a bit there.

That look on a 10 year olds face when he sees a ginormous birthday present :lol: Then we watched some YooToob action vids to really make him smile. We have already made a start on construction. So far we have built the front and rear diffs.

Yeah he's spoilt :leet: but we've been disappointed by cheap crap in the past and I didn't want to go down that road again.

Thanks again guys :thumbup:

10. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

Hows the build coming along?

11. OP
    OP
    Widman

Widman Member

Got most of the front assembly and the rear diff done. Keeping a 10yo on track is difficult ;)

I think I probably should have built the kit first so I knew where everything went, then swapped out the parts that I had upgrades for. It has been a little confusing trying to keep track of all the parts - again, largely due to a 10yo wanting to check everything out all at once, rather than open the bags as needed.

Having fun tho!

Whats the diff (haha geddit!) between 20,000 and 1,000,000 diff oil? The kit comes with 20k but I noted you used 1M..... I've used the kit stuff, but ordered some 100k also.

12. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

The thicker the oil the more locked the diff will feel. 20k Is far too thin. Even 100k is too thin imo, I wouldn't use anything under 500k for general trailing and bashing about use.

13. OP
    OP
    Widman

Widman Member

That's somewhat annoying news..... why would they put 20k in the kit? What is good for cleaning out too thin diff oil, or just drain and add new stuff?

I'm having a bit of a sesh tonight. Decided to just get on and do a bit so we could have a play with it sooner rather than later. A set of stainless steel screws seemed like a good idea, but it is such a pain trying to find the right one in the kit I got from RC screws. They are separated in to type of head, but not size...

It looks like I am going to have to do a lot of wire trimming to get it all neat and tidy? With the added extras of the bec and futaba telemetry link I can't really figure out where it all can go. Do you have any pictures of your cablegami?

14. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

Not sure why they include 20k either, but the same could be said about the stock front springs too (too soft imo).

Non chlorinated brake cleaner works well for cleaning silicone oil, but generally speaking just pouring it out then soaking the rest with paper towel is enough (that's what I normally do anyway).

For screw kits it's easier to get a little storage box with compartments and then separate them all into that, makes grabbing the correct size a breeze.

Here's an older pic of my wiring, it's a bit neater now, but you can get a general idea

[​IMG]

I'm using a much larger bec pro (next to the battery). Only reason was I had it spare. A regular castle bec is much smaller and easier to hide away. The fuel cell is a common place to stuff it.

15. OP
    OP
    Widman

Widman Member

You were right about the sensor harness.... the one supplies with the Tekin doesn't fit the Mamba monster X. Traps for young players.:thumbdn:

Tower hobbies and oneten don't seem to have them, and castle creations are quoting US$100 to ship an $8 part......But do you think it would be possible to grab something from Jaycar that would fit? I also need a decent soldering iron so I have to go there anyway.

I've noted that the sensor wires have to make a hard right angle bend immediately after exiting the plug because the battery tray is hard up against it. I imagine vibration and movement would damage them pretty quickly. The problem would be solved by cutting a slot in the tray.... is that a good idea?

Edit: found one at Tower Hobbies, just had to search for the correct thing

16. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

Nothing wrong at all with cutting a little notch in the battery tray for clearance.

Sensor leads are just another consumable in this hobby imo, but they take a good while to break in my experience. Always good to have a spare one on hand though.

17. OP
    OP
    Widman

Widman Member

Things progress .... slowly.

Just how many times can this plastic handle being screwed in and out? A few bits on back to front or in the wrong spot means that some screws have been removed and replaced a few times....

Busted a shock absorber cap while playing with it, testing the bounce a bit to hard, and split the side :o. Luckily I had already ordered a set of prolines which should arrive next week

Also screwed up my OneTenCrawlers order, and only got 1 pair of Deuces Wild foams, instead of 2 :sick:

18. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

Bugger about the caps and foams. At least they're simple fixes.

When you finally get it going, try not to do this...

[​IMG]

Can't blame the vehicle at all though, too a terrible landing on the back right then into a nasty cartwheel. Just a broken housing and bent axle. Need to decide if I'm just going to replace it with another ar60 and add some beef tubes, or upgrade to vanquish...

[​IMG]