B&W Nautilus 802D Secondhand

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by KoiTech, Apr 15, 2018 at 10:59 PM.

1. KoiTech

KoiTech Member

I've come upon an opportunity to purchase a pair of these with an AWS for $4k.

Wondering if they still hold up today compared whats available for the 4k mark.

i know amps are going to be a bomb too.

2. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

AWS?

Which particular speaker are they? Are you referring to the 802D or the Nautilus 802 (the 802D had the Diamond tweeters and dropped the Nautilus branding). For either model, this price is a steal. If I saw a pair for that price, I'd snap them up in seconds. You will want decent amplification which will set you back a few grand for a decent stereo power amplifier secondhand to give these bad boys the justice they deserve.

3. OP
    OP
    KoiTech

KoiTech Member

4. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Be very careful, with this Add, The price is in Euro's, and there's no other information. No one sells that sort of speaker for that sort of price [$5500]
    Click on the chat tab, and you get the following info,

You can only use one phone number with +357 or +30 prefixes

These prefix's are for Cyprus [357] or Greece [30] I would have bet they where for Eastern Europe. Bulgaria's 359, No matter. Don't touch these with a 10 foot pole

If it sounds to good to be true , it is.

As for amplification, the 800 series have always been power hungry

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 9:48 AM
  5. sebbyreddan

sebbyreddan Member

Looks like corrosion or water damage (condensation?) on the centres of the mains bass drivers. Or glue failing...hard to tell without closer photos...I would steer clear. Unless you can see them in the flesh and have a good listen.

edit: Looked like crap around the join of the driver voice coil to cone, on closer inspection it looks like it is just due to the texture of the driver material. Still, I would want to hear them before buying.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 12:11 PM
  6. OP
    OP
    KoiTech

KoiTech Member

oh yeah i am in cyprus so this is a local seller and i can see them. i'll take a good look and post some more photos. thanks heaps guys

7. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

IF the phone connects, Just ask him for the serial numbers

I still think it's a scam,and they don't exist

8. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Can you hear them, even if you have to borrow an amp and source.

9. DarthWindu

DarthWindu Member

yeah they look....not as well cared for as you'd expect for such an item.

i'd definitely need to hear them cranking happily before i shelled out money for them.

it's several generations behind, but still, new today for an 802 is what, 35 grand? seems too cheap, unless the price is proportionate to their condition/performance.

10. OP
    OP
    KoiTech

KoiTech Member

i've called the seller and will see them on wednesday this week. am now trying to find an amp i can borrow. will definitely hear them before shelling out the money.

11. nico6

nico6 Member

Does it seem strange that anybody who owns these high end speakers would not have an amplifier at hand to test them with?

12. OP
    OP
    KoiTech

KoiTech Member

i've spoken to the seller. it's an older gentlemen. heading to his village to see him on wednesday. he said the following: bought in 2003 (new at the time); named the store he bought them from; had a denon alpha 1 + macintosh mc300 previously but someone bought them 2 months earlier. subwoofer is ASW4000
    reason for selling: he needs to pay medical bills (hip replacement+knee replacement). says no damage and he looked after them.

obviously i'll go in skeptical and attempt to borrow an amp to test them before buying but it's a little difficult to find a 150w amp that someone will lend

13. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

14. OP
    OP
    KoiTech

KoiTech Member

15. OP
    OP
    KoiTech

KoiTech Member

got a local dealer to loan me a Hegel H190 integrated amp. should be all set. wish me luck

sebbyreddan likes this.
  16. nico6

nico6 Member

Good move by a dealer who can see a potential sale :)

17. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

For 4000 euros, that's actually a reasonable price. A good buy for sure, but not sitting in "it's probably stolen" territory. Condition may be better than the photos suggest, given I see what may be moire distortion (those drivers are hard to photograph). For reference, I've seen the 803 D2s sell for 7500 locally here. Speaker grilles and the sub look dusty.

If they sound okay, you're getting good bang for buck! Be sure to set aside a few grand for a decent amp.

18. OP
    OP
    KoiTech

KoiTech Member

sebbyreddan and fredhoon like this.