Backblaze "What Hard Drive Should I Buy?"

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Vladdo, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

2. tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

nothing new here! :lol: :thumbup:

3. shadowman

shadowman Member

Keep in mind, the 1.5 and 3TB seagates are the older models with 7200.11 firmware with known issues. You also have to question if Hitachi are really that much better, given they are owned by WD, there'd be no reason to really segregate the market, other than the fact Hitachi are more for enterprise and WD for consumer.

I'll take it with a grain of salt, albeit it's a fairly large sample size, it's still anecdotal evidence, hard drives go through dozens of revisions/firmware over the lifespan of a single generation.

4. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

But as a consumer, you shouldnt be the guinea pig that tests firmware for them. When you buy a HDD, you expect it to work at least 3 years. Not fail every year while they fix their firmware.

5. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

This was fixed 5 years ago, who buys 1.5s anyway?

Anything new will have problems, if we didn't 'beta' test in the real world nothing would ever be released.

6. greenhawk

greenhawk Member

it is worth noting though that the wd buying of Hitachi was early 2012. The drives in the graph where bought over 3 years ago. But I do agree, going forwards makes it hard to look back when deciding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HGST

7. mtma

mtma Member

Actually back in the days of the 7200.11 series, Seagate would have wanted you to believe you could expect 5 years of life from their drives. Oh how quickly that was dropped.

It's amazing to think that Seagate originally started the 5 year consumer drive warranty movement.

8. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

None of my 7200.11s died, all 12 or so, well out of their 5 year warranty now.

9. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Also worth noting that although WD bought hitachi, the HDD division went to toshiba, and the drives coming from them are identical to the drives that came from hitachi before hand. They literally stamped Toshiba on them and continued selling them.

10. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Touch wood but none of the Seagate's I've brought over the past few years have died, every WD however is a different story (a few of the guys at work have had them also die)

11. Reginald85

Reginald85 Member

^^^ What this guy said.

12. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

I have found that in general (and this is only from my own experiences - no way a real world measure of reliability) when a pc comes into our shop with a failed hdd its a WD drive. approx 50% WD, 15% Hitachi, 15% toshiba, 10% seagate and 10% other brands.

We have a large pile of dead WDs to prove it.

Also when a WD drive fails its usually a complete fail clunking or unreadable or just wont spin up making software data recovery impossible.

We have a customer at the moment that is paying Kroll Ontrack ~ $1400 for data recovery from a 1tb WD green drive, and only retreiving half of their data due to internal physical damage that the drive caused to itself. It was in a HP all in one and was approx 3 years old. Needless to say we replaced it with a seagate.

had a p4 come in the other day with a 40gb seagate barracuda ide drive (the ones with the rubber around them) still running strong.

In saying that, most externals that come in have failed no matter what brand. Usually from being dropped while running.

Also we must remember that im pretty sure that WD and Seagate have a large proportion of the market when it comes to sales, so its natural to see a large number of failures compared to the amount of drives in circulation

13. Gaidin

Gaidin Member

Based on the hundred or so hard drives I've had over the last few years (obviously less than you'd see in a retail store :)) I would say my experience is about the same. In the last 18 months I've sent back 2 Hitachis and 1 Seagate.

14. shadowman

shadowman Member

If we're going to get into personal anecdotal evidence, then my experience backs up what you're saying. We have a 25 PC office, split 50/50 Seagate and WD greens, and the shelf in my server room is full of WD green drives, with zero Seagates.

15. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

1.5TBs always where pretty bad (from All vendors). As they did not have any 1.5Tb WDs to compare its hard to call it a complete view of the situation .

I have found that 2TB Seagate are a lot less reliable in raid than the newer 4TBs which is supported by their data.

16. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

people should read the tweaktown article too :p

17. stebie

stebie Member

18. Skitza

Skitza Member

19. Soarer GT

Soarer GT Member

I'm more inclined to err on the side of caution with the Blackblaze article and consider the Tweaktown article grasping at straws. Questioning Temps and operating environments?

I'm 99% sure anything in a Datacentre is
    a) cooler than my room.
    b) cleaner than my room.
    c) vibration interference of being in a rack of that density shouldnt be a "drawback" I see it as a sign of drive integrity and manufacturers taking short cuts in design if they cant handle a non-ideal environment. I want to know that I can have a number of HDDs stacked together in a Norco without high failure rates.

Even if you take out the "catastrophic failure rate" of Seagate, the fact that they dont drop straight away is a pain in the ass. At least with the Hitachi's, they either die within 24 hours or work for at least 3 years. Having drives die 6 months later in a workstation is 20x worse than having it drop during burn in phase.

20. stebie

stebie Member

Not sure if it got misinterpreted, I should've said, I wasn't agreeing with Tweaktown's take.

+1

That said, everyone's going to have their own experiences with hard drives. We've seen it before. Person A will see more WD drives die than Seagates. Person B will see more Seagate drives die than WDs.

Instead of TT refuting BB's results with nothing to back it up, they should conduct their own thorough study and use those results (most likely they can't therefore won't).