Backup recommendations, to the cloud with thee.

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by KDog, Feb 2, 2016.

1. KDog

KDog Member

Hello all,
    Just after some recommendations from thoose who deal with the stuff daily.

Current setup - we have a backup server (Backup Exec2010r3) using a RD1000 RDX drive. Daily differential and a full backup weekly. 4 disks for Mon-Thurs differential, 4 disks for weekly. Take one of the Full backups away for offsite storage.

For compliance I need to start doing daily offsite backups. I believe the easiest solution would be to move to a cloud vendor for daily incremental backups and then do a full backup once a week.

I'm not sure if I want to continue with BE (I would buy the latest version) as our current version has some issues and needs a lot of hand holding. I just want to plug the next drive in and be done with it.

I was going to do a trial of the both BE and Veam to use with the AWS Storage Gateway. FYI daily differential backups ~ 50GB and Full ~500GB

Does anyone who has done this have any thoughts in regards to using BE or Veam and the using AWS SG? Or other software/cloud providers?

Thoughts?

2. power

power Member

Before thinking about anything look at the recovery options, getting the data into someones datacenter is one thing, getting it back out is a whole different story.

Honestly if I was going to contemplate this I'd stick with our current vendor Storagecraft, Shadowprotect backups to their datacenters allows you to run your entire environment virtually in the event of a local disaster.

Also you need someone who will allow you to seed the environment, you don't want to sit there uploading hundreds of gigs of data.

End of the day, recovery is always the more important thing. I'd avoid mixing vendors if possible end to end with someone reliable can go a long way. Because you'll get the old it's not us it's them or that's not supported tripe.

https://www.storagecraft.com/products/storagecraft-cloud-services

3. tin

tin Member

Agree with "power" - you need to look at how quickly and costly recovering will be. Some places offer download only, and speeds aren't guaranteed (or are intentionally restricted) - you really don't want to find that out after your servers all die in a fire or flood.

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

if everything goes to the cloud - what are you going to do when the sky clears?

in the last 2 months - I've heard of 2 major's sending apologetic but not responsible emails which largely read "yeah, you should restore from your DR site".

5. OP
    OP
    KDog

KDog Member

This is why I would like to keep at least a weekly full backup on disk.

Using AWS Storage Gateway VTL service is a bit painful in regards to needing a "transfer" server to access the VTL, other than that I can't see a problem with it. I prefer to avoid vendor lockin if possible, so I'm not going with that Storagecraft add/promo.

Anyone here have experience using various backup software and cloud VTLs?

6. power

power Member

don't ask if you don't want recommendations and accusing me of a storagecraft ad is fucking ludicrous and insulting.

People "recommend" things they have seen before - if you think I'm a shill for Storagecraft then report me.

7. scottath

scottath Member

Hey,

We are using Veeam (with cloud connect) - sending daily backup increments to the cloud of a Veeam partner.
    The way Veeam works it is basically you have another repository that is far slower than your local on-prem storage. Other than raw transfer speeds it may as well be another NAS on your own network.
    Costs are Per GB and a Per VM charge - not sure on actual costs as thats above me.
    If you've used Veeam before, adding cloud connect is no different - and you can pick from a large number of providers for whom you 'connect' to.

8. Ding.Chavez

Ding.Chavez Member

What compliance? I would use this as the major factor here and almost work backwards.

RPO? I'd assume with onsite backup you have a RTO? using these two factors introduce cloud options like AWS into the equation and see if it makes sense or works for you... then other recommendations here... I personally have used Tivoli and a remote endpoint via VPN, worked well. Then now I use Avamar already in the cloud with my vms data etc. I also have a crappy NetApp with MPLS to another endpoint off site, only storage no actual DR....

9. Crusher

Crusher Member

A lot of clients push SP backups to us for offsite... easy to stage and recover over the wire or via USB HDD