Backup software for Windows 10, general and DR

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Malakai, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Malakai

Malakai Member

I'm using the built in file backup inside Windows 10 but I want something more. I want general incremental backups and also ease of a full DR type restore of my OS drive if I need it.

Reason being I'm starting to get serious with some overclocking on my Ryzen 2700X and I need to have a robust way of backing up and restoring my OS drive if something goes wrong with OC that corrupts the drive or damages critical files. It is an M.2 NVME 970 EVO if that makes any difference.

With previous computers I've used Ghost 11 on a bootable USB and that worked fine for SATA SSD drives but I think it is time to bring things into this decade and find a better option. I tried making an image of my NVME drive with Ghost 11 and it said it worked but the image file was only 6GB, the source disk had 90GB used. High compression isn't that good so I figured it didn't actually work.

I've used Acronis True Image before personally and StorageCraft ShadowProtect professionally at work and I'm leaning towards one of them.

What backup software and method do you use as an enthusiast with features that are a must to mitigate the risks of overclocking.

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

Veeam agent for Windows.

Free. Build a recovery disk/usb.

grs1961 and ex4n like this.
  3. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Anyone using Macrium free and able to comment on how's it's worked if you've needed to be a restore?

I came across it after looking into Veeam thanks to this thread :)

4. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Used it a few years back, did exactly what I expected it to do. Things might have changed since then though..