1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

bad experience with PSUs

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by glynade, Sep 10, 2002.

1. glynade

glynade Member

Hey guys, just thought I'd share some of my experiences with certain PSUs. They're Hyena branded, and I've seen 3 computers come to grief with the PSU blowing(the exact same components on the PSU circuit board cooked incidentally).

In one case this took a motherboard with it, in another a HDD and in the final case, both HDDs and motherboard died. I mention that the same components died as it would seem to be indicative of a problem in the design/components of the circuit that leads to this problem.

Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up as these seem to be quite common in less expensive cases. Personally I won't build systems using these PSUs, and if someone I know currently has one I recommend they get a new PSU for the sake of their data/hardware.

cheers, glynade

2. eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

well... there seems to be a real in vouge trend for talking about PSU at the moment..

the simple lesson is, go for quality... crap power = crap computer...

I'm quite supportive of the "Avoid Yum Cha" movement, thought some people have PSU from the lower end of town and have no probs...

3. Dedge

Dedge Member

I have this yum cha psu and my voltage lines read (3.3 - 3.2, 5 - 5.1, 12 - 11.97). PC is rock solid, however, I have seen uber yum cha psu's that suck really hard.

4. narf

narf Member

One has to ponder the integrity of a high powered PSU which is physically lighter than one of its lower powered cousins.

5. zeuss

zeuss Member

does anyone else see the humour in the line:

:D:D

6. Crash Dummy

Crash Dummy Member

How amusing it is when it comes to buying quality powersupplys. i bought a Enermax 431watt PSU awhile ago when they were all the rage. You had PSU problems and wanted the ultimate you got the Enermax 431. Cost me $200. Did the job for awhile, it couldn't run anything above my Duron 800 and KT7 RAID. It certinally won't run my current system. It's the biggest heap of crap i've ever bought. What replaced it ? A 400watt Codegen PSU that came with my case :D

7. eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

Yes, I had a good giggle about that one...

Crash Test Dummy... did you nail the probs down to the power supply...

www.overclockers.com have an interesting acritcle from a guy who put heatsinks onto some little componets on his mobo and his power seemed to have cleaned up a bit

8. Shado

Shado Member

Funny a 400watt codegen gave me no end of troubles (12 months worth of no soft booting etc), I replaced it with a 430W antec and all the problems went away... strange.

9. Crash Dummy

Crash Dummy Member

Pretty much yes. I had problems with lockups and servere 5v rail problems on my KG7 RAID. Changing to a Aopen 300watt PSU solved all troubles. I lent the PSU to a friend to use for awhile until he got a new one he knew the PSU was dodgy and might not be able to do the job. It did for a little while until his Epox 8K3A+ wouldn't post anymore and smelt kinda bad. Looking at the ATX connector this was the result.

[​IMG]
    Burnt. Nice and crispy :D

The PSu seems to still fuction fine but the ATX connector gets rather warm very quickly. I've retired it to powering stuff when testing or anything that needs a 12v DC power source like my Peltier esky.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2002
  10. eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

I vote crash test dummies pelt esky for idea of the year:D

I bought a Codegen... seems fine so far but wait until I finish putting drives in...

11. Syphon

Syphon Member

this is exactly what just happened to me.. with a Hyena PSU - it got fried

and i have NFI why it did. i can't remember doing anything untoward.. it just started smoking :( after almost 2 years of service...it just craps out on me :mad:

and i'm not sure what is broke, and what is still good...haven't found a PSU to test it yet. i think the mobo is dead, and i'm hoping that that is it.

12. Crash Dummy

Crash Dummy Member

These things were sold all over the place and still are. The best thing of all i bought this one from a dump shop for like $1 I figured why the hell not. If it sucks at cooling drinks it can cool my GPU or something.

13. tired

tired Member

I have experienced ZeRo problems with my 300w Enermax - but if I replace it in the future , I think I will try a Antec as a lot of people seem to like them more.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2002
  14. Buzzard

Buzzard Member

I had a lot of trouble with a 450W Codegen PSU, when ever my Radeon 8500 used an advanced function ( Point sprites, vertex and pixel shadders ) the computer would infinite loop. I could play Q3 for about 10mins but I couldn't run a per pixel lighting demo at all ( IL'ed ).

Went back to my original generic 350w PSU and I haven't had a problem since.

Looks like not all PSU are made equal.

15. Syphon

Syphon Member

Antec? ;) antec is the brand that everyone is raving about

i haven't seen vantec PSUs being sold in Oz (not that i have looked all that hard), but they do look pretty decent :)

16. tired

tired Member

Yep you are right lol , I meant Antec.

I just ordered a Vantec case fan and Vantec was on Da Brain , so I will edit my original post.

17. AlanC

AlanC Member

I just bought a Antec True 380w PSU. It blowup the next day. So i send it back and swap for a new psu. I think it's coming back to day.

18. eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

Newsflash!!!

19. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

heres my bad experience with a pos psu
    I had a codegen 350W and when I replaced my old voodoo3 a while back with a Hercules gf2 ultra it got all this shit and artifacts all over the screen, crashing, and it was because of the PSU, the 3.3V wasn’t that low on mine but that’s what the problem was
    fixed it with a new psu (got the leadman 400W as that what a friend was using - who I tested the video card in his computer and worked fine) and ever since I have not been too fond of codegen psu's even though people on here have had no problems with them
    dam shit thing it was but i sold it off on ebay no problemsfor about 2/3 of what i paid for it 4 months before :D

20. Buzzard

Buzzard Member

I know that you ( normally ) get what you pay for, but several people have mentioned that they have had no problems with Codegen PSUs. I was actually suggesting that the quality different batches ( different ratings as well as different manufacturing runs ) of the same PSU may vary significantly.

[ Hope that sortof makes sense :) ]