Bad GPU or strange driver issue?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by ahjmcn, Oct 27, 2018.

1. ahjmcn

ahjmcn New Member

Hi All,
    Just built a new PC and everything went fine initially, however at some point either a windows update or gpu driver update started causing artifacts on my PC (I didn't notice it at first as it is kinda subtle in windows, cross pattern appearing for a second after closing start menu, text sometimes pixelated, but it is really noticeable in games). I had booted up Witcher 3 before updating and it was fine no worries, but after the updates its a mess of colours and artifacts everywhere.

The first time I did the Radeon driver update (using the auto-detect utility) I got error 1603 - general error and the drivers only being partially installed. I then updated windows thinking this may have caused the issue, re-installed the Radeon driver and it completed successfully. Then I noticed the artifacts/graphical glitches (But these may have occurred after the Windows update).

To try and resolve this I booted into safe mode, no artifacts or graphics glitches in safe mode. I then ran DDU to clean any dodgy drivers, restarted, with just the Microsoft Basic Display Driver had no artifacts/glitches, however trying to reinstall Radeon drivers, artifacts re-appear.

Checked GPU temps playing a game all good max 72c, fans work. CPU temps ok too. Did a Windows Memory test, no issues. Checked connections, re-seated GPU.

Motherboard bios is updated, tried a Windows 10 reset, tried installing older Radeon drivers, tried uninstalling Windows Updates, all result in same thing. Nothing is overclocked, all brand new apart from HDD. Is my GPU stuffed? Any suggestions on what to try next?

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200g
    Motherboard: B450M Pro-VDH (Bios date 8/6/18)
    Memory: 2x 8GB 3200mhz (sitting at 2133mhz currently, haven't enabled the faster profiles)
    GPU: RX580 4GB
    PSU: Coolermaster MWE500
    SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500gb
    HDD: WD 1TB
    ODD: DVD/writer combo

Sorry for the wall of text, but I'm outta ideas!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Before running DDU you also want the have DL'd the drivers manually (don't use any of the auto shit) and saved them - then run DDU>>after reboot right click on driver>>Run as Administrator.

3. OP
    OP
    ahjmcn

ahjmcn New Member

Tried direct drivers and the drivers that came with the gpu, but didn't launch run them as administrator. I'll try that and then try a completely clean install of windows. I'll post again if anything manages to solve it

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

5. OP
    OP
    ahjmcn

ahjmcn New Member

Tried a direct install as administrator after using DDU in safe mode, still no luck. Also tried a clean boot, had the same artifacting. It's not happening in safe mode or with the Windows Basic Display Driver installed, so surely this is driver issue somewhere? Or could it still be a failed component?

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Take some pictures of the issues and send them back to the place of purchase saying the cards is showing artifacts - see how they respond. Also include your above actions. I would be suspecting the card atm.

7. OP
    OP
    ahjmcn

ahjmcn New Member

Yeah, i figure if it was another component that was faulty the issues would be slightly different/ persistent. Cheers for your help!

8. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member