Bad news for iPhone users: Apple dumps Qualcomm

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by power, Jul 26, 2018.

1. power

power Member

https://mashable.com/2018/07/25/apple-dump-qualcomm-chips-next-iphone/

not a great move from Apple.

2. sanjay

sanjay Member

Apple drones have never cared about having the latest and greatest hardware in their phones, though.

It is, however, interesting to see the blogosphere slowly start to turn against Apple (particularly following the release of their 2018 macbook pro range).

thecondor likes this.
  3. Zee

Zee Member

2018 Macbook Pro range? What did they screw up now? I certainly won't be going iphone again with this news.

Z...

4. sanjay

sanjay Member

apparently they thermal throttle too quickly and they were nearly a year late in bringing coffee lake to the mac.

5. Copie

Copie Member

To be fair other manufacturers are having issues with the i9 chip and keeping it cool. Dell is another

6. frnak

frnak Member

I'm not sure if we can speculate on future iPhone performance based on the current crop of Intel modems. Apple has the clout to demand certain performance metrics or even custom silicon. The current performance differences seem to occur in low signal conditions, but they might be able to improve these shortcomings with some engineering.

My biggest complaint was that they didn't bother updating the no-frills 'function key' 13" Macbook Pro. Last year this was one of the best value premium ultrabooks on the market, especially with regular retailer sales. I don't like the Touchbar being foisted on me and will stick to my function keys.

7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

really? they currently throttle QC modems in iPhone as they have a technology mix.

8. Zee

Zee Member

The 13" no frills model would be my target purchase, though my 2014 Mac Air is still going strong, so waiting is not an issue there. I was actually hoping for a Touchbar free 15"... I really would rather spend that cash towards more SSD space.

Z...

9. frnak

frnak Member

Yeah I find that quite amusing. But now that Intel are the exclusive iPhone modem supplier, I'm thinking their investment strategy might change and we might see some better progress.

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

You mean like when you hold your phone in a non-Apple approved way?

Zee, frnak and thecondor like this.
  11. thecondor

thecondor Member

[​IMG]

darknebula likes this.