Bad news for Sony

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by CordlezToaster, Dec 31, 2010.

1. SaMbO

SaMbO Member

i didnt say he was right, i said it was interesting.

2. jordanp

jordanp Member

I didn't say you thought it was right, just that it was crap

:-D
    Just busting your chops as I sit in hospital.

3. SaMbO

SaMbO Member

no probs mate, im thick skinned and dont mind constructive debate :D

seems the ddos'ing is a bit sporadic, can access sony.com without issues, will be interesting to see what its like when i get home
    grrr gt login seems to be down.. fuckers :p

now some could say "what the hell sony!"
    but really imho "WTF ANON? I just want to play games. fuck off."

i see anon is still 'just using' a botnet LOIC

edit: UPDATE: played gt5 for about 3 hours online last night, no issues at all, public and private lobbies, Australian and international hosts. accessed the psn from my US, AU, UK and HK accounts without a problem. My gt5 home is back up. have they given up already?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  4. The Beast

The Beast Member

Meh, speaks for itself does it?

They're just a pack of pricks running scared behind their keyboards because their actions, or at least the actions of those whom Anon consider "of their ilk", are now facing real world consequences.

DDOSing is pretty risky imho, it's a clear act of aggression and - irrefutably - illegal. If they are identified I'm sure Sony will have no problem making an example of them too.

I've been O/S lately, but I can't say I've noticed any problems with the PSN the few times I've used it today or yesterday. :confused:

The comments in the TheSixthAxis article are interesting, and just go to show how vastly different people's understanding of just WTF is going on here really is. I like this comment, it gels with what my particularly understanding of events is:

5. jordanp

jordanp Member

Just a genuine query on this as I am not currently in the position to look into it, but what is the legality of having multi-region accounts on the PS3 against Sony's T&Cs?

I only ask as it seems to contradict the regoinal boundaries that Sony have set up for their systems and software. Which if it does contravene the T&Cs then does that leave you open to fraud charges? And doesn't this mean you are violating the terms of use of the system and puts you in the same boat as others who have circumvented Sony's system?

:p
    Just wondering :D

6. SaMbO

SaMbO Member

i also agreed with that quote from TSA, imho the whole thing was a good read

still sick i see...

are you suggesting that i have never lived or visited 123 King Kwong St, Happy Valley, Hong Kong, a hungry jacks in Anchorage or some place in London, i cant remember nor i have never been to. whoops!... =D
    i do however have "friends" who live in those places (not the actual addresses) from my WoW playing days, until someone sues, it wont be an issue.

honestly, i think sony have bigger fish to fry.
    i have generally only used those accounts to access demos and if sony really wanted to limit overseas access to games and demos they could IP filter like they do with the video side of the PSN.

7. jordanp

jordanp Member

Hahaha yeah still crook, you got me :D

I was just trying to highlight that people will circumvent T&Cs to the level they are comfortable with. Strictly speaking, from what I have read, each region is only authorized to access content specifically made available to it. Everyone just has a different line.

Sambo you seem fine with working around regional restrictions to gain access to content you want. I'm comfortable with jailbreaking my Ps3 to gain access to get to my sweet sweet PlayTV recordings (which I'm finishing up a little program to do this in a wife friendly way :D ). Both are doing activities expressly against Sony's wishes, and both feel justified doin so. So I would never point fingers in such instances.

However, pirates suck. If you pirate you deserve everything you get. And I hope they get herpes :p

8. FiShy

FiShy Member

This has to be the funniest thing you have said all thread, haha

9. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

I would say Sony dont really have any issues with people accessing other stores, because the games are region free (videos are different because they will be regioned)

At the end of the day, if people are accessing other stores (and using PSN cards etc) Sony just makes more money, and im sure they dont mind that

10. SaMbO

SaMbO Member

funny, i just pictured you as light green and slightly hunch-backed...

hope you get better soon mate ;)

yeahs, you got me too, but im not using a device to circumvent any copyright restrictions, silly as they may be (re: playTV), as Ravenor stated, games are region free so sony/dev gets the money anyway.

this is much more interesting:
    and copying playTV content off the hdd by the sounds of it & Pong/NES emulation (AWESOME! :sick:)

11. mrsqu1ggle

mrsqu1ggle Member

sony us official playstation boards down

http://community.us.playstation.com/___sbsstatic___/maintenance.html#511178

Down for Maintenance

The PlayStation Community is down for maintenance. Very important maintenance. It's not like someone got overenthusiastic with a PlayStation®Move and knocked out the servers. Not at all. Where did you get that idea? We're maintaining things.
    Be back soon.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  12. .:front2back:.

.:front2back:. Member

I love how they are suddenly doing "Maintenance" at the same time there actually getting there ass handed to them.

God help any1 that is actually helping that Anonymous, i bet majority of the splerglords using that LOIC tool haven't even chained a few proxy's to cover there originating IP.

All they've done is disrupted my PSN online enjoyement :( Even though i don't agree 100% what Sony are doing with this current court case, i don't agree with these splerglords disrupting my GT5 online goodness. :thumbdn:

I hope Sony layeth teh SmackDown on those stroodle loving idiots. :thumbdn:

13. SaMbO

SaMbO Member

oh ROFL, i thought you were kidding!
    sounds like a KB quote!
    at least they have a sense of humour about it... funny, no issues again for me last night.

and the site is actually up.

edit: also lol @ splerglords f2b :D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  14. scon

scon Member

Apparently the Showtime Media Player app has been updated so that it now will play 1080p mkvs smoothly.

Source

15. Guardian452

Guardian452 Member

See...this is the sort of stuff Sony, not homebrew devs, should be doing.

16. SaMbO

SaMbO Member

sorry i must have missed something...

why would sony want to provide you with the means to play pirated HD material?

17. emblurr

emblurr Member

18. SaMbO

SaMbO Member

oh snap, it has N wifi too.
    looks like they would like to sell you another product to make up for all the stuff you're not buying...
    wait, what, it doesnt play avi's.... fail sony fail.

19. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

because we all know all 1080 material is pirated. ofcourse. so why sony give us this option on albeit their much more expensive blueray player?

20. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

Ah so this anon DDOS attack is why my PSN kept dropping out the other night while I tried to play MAG.

Way to achieve nothing douchebags, wow afew days of patchy PSN access and some overloaded forums are really gonna make Sony lay off Hotz.

I don't get the beef, homebrew people can go nuts on 3.55 and everyone else can just get the latest FW.

If you really need to have both then even a brand new PS3 is only 200 euro these days.