Bad news for Sony

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by CordlezToaster, Dec 31, 2010.

1. aurionix

aurionix New Member

To be honest, it would be financially irresponsible for sony to pursue 99% of all the attackers- it will target the 5-6 with the biggest bandwidths and make them into martyrs.. Same with every lawsuit of this type in history.

On the other hand, one must consider that they're only actually going to be logging those dumb enough to get caught in the first place - which may fall somewhere further down the list heh.

Also of consideration is country of origin, and the use of peer to peer tunneling technologies such as tor to make an exact destination fairly well untraceable for the purposes of law enforcement anyway.

2. Guardian452

Guardian452 Member

Do they, or do they not market the PS3 as a media centre as well as a games machine?

I hear they used to market it as a Linux device too.....

3. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

The 'beef' is that people shouldn't have to pay 200 euros for something that the PS3 could do when it was released. Specifically, when it was released it could run Linux and access PSN. Now it can run Linux or access PSN.

It's a bit like Microsoft saying "we've decided that Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit will only support 64-bit software. If you would like to run 32-bit software, you can of course use Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. If you would like to run both, as Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit has previously been able to do, please upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit for $200 extra". Nobody would let MS get away with that; why let Sony?

4. Frag

Frag Member

Sony is almost as bad if not worse than Apple in proprietary shit! I have 2 consoles (neither get any use these days) but would like to run one as a fully XMBC type media centre due to its size, bluray etc.. cheap console to run a great XMBC should be a win win for sony, more consoles, more sales, more possibility of buying games and peripherals.

5. aurionix

aurionix New Member

Not to mention the fact that.. it's actually illegal to put on your own OS or firmware now, not just warranty voiding or whatever - they can actually sue you for it (they wont, but still..)... You are breaking the law by enabling your device to do things it could originally do, but no longer can..

6. mr_wrxman

mr_wrxman Member

You are not breaking the law, you are breaking the contract which you agreed to. Not a criminal act and not against the law, you just have to pay damages if taken to court.

7. aurionix

aurionix New Member

..... The "contract" as you put it, is a terms of use, and falls under Civil Law. It isn't something you could be arrested for - it is something they could potentially sue (might not be the right term, but take you to court or similar) you for afaik.

However it'd be hard for them to claim any "damages"..

8. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

The difference with your example is that it would effect millions of people, wereas not being able to run Linux + PSN is an absolute minority of PS3 users.

I agree its still lame of Sony, but I think the huge majority of people whinging would be not even have any interest in using as ps3 for linux + psn anyway. I they just don't like it that they can't.

9. SLATYE

I don't think that matters, and it wouldn't matter even if no PS3 users were using Linux. The fact is that before they had a choice; now they do not.

As above, I don't think it matters whether they were using it or were planning to use it. Previously they could use it, now they can't use it.

Another analogy: many sports cars can do 250km/h on a flat, straight road. Virtually nobody ever drives them that fast because it's illegal on Australian public roads (and few people have easy access to a racetrack). However, if you bought one of those cars and got told after a service "we've decided to limit it to 130km/h because that's the maximum speed limit in Australia" then you'd be pretty annoyed. Sure, you weren't planning to go over 130km/h anyway, but what right does the manufacturer have to make that decision for you?

10. emblurr

emblurr Member

11. SLATYE

That was a little bit different. The cars weren't modified after being sold. If you bought a car that was speed-limited, then you got a car that was speed-limited. If you bought a car that wasn't speed-limited, you got a car that wasn't speed-limited.

In this case, it's like buying a car that isn't speed-limited, and then later being told that it's going to be speed-limited whether you like it or not.

Anyway, it is certainly an interesting read. Thanks for the links. They remind me a little bit of Intel's chipset specifications - saying that the chipset can only handle a certain CPU (single-core P4 for the i865; dual-core P4 for the i945) while in reality it's fine with much faster ones (both the i865 and i945 worked perfectly well with Core 2 Duos). Basically, under-promise and over-deliver.

Perhaps that's what Sony should have done on the PS3. Rather than make Linux an official feature, leak a minor 'hack' to enable it (eg. have to enter a 'secret' password to get the Install Other OS option). Then people would be happy to have it, but Sony could still patch it at any point without so many complaints.

12. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

I don't disagree with your point, I just disagree that its as big an issue as many, including yourself are making out.

Do you really care that much about running linux on your PS3? Really?

13. Philll

Philll Member

14. Ionos

Ionos Member

No question. I've little doubt that if Sony thought they could win, they would have pursued this to the furthest possible extent.

It's disgraceful that a large organisation can take such action against an individual that ends in such a pointless outcome, when the balance of power is so heavily swayed to the side with more resources behind them.

15. Philll

Philll Member

I wonder if Anon scared them into submission

16. akashra

akashra Member

Did anyone actually read that injunction? If I read it correctly, Sony are basically claiming $10,000 for EVERY copy of software that DRM is circumvented caused by anything Hotz creates in future.
    That's fucked.

17. SLATYE

I don't think it says that. The section I'm looking at says "any violation of this Injunction and Order by Hotz shall result in his payment of stipulated liquidated damages in the amount of ten thousand dollars ($10,000) per violation..."

As long as he doesn't do anything himself (or, alternatively, as long as nobody finds out about it) then it's not his problem.

No, I don't care all that much about Linux on the PS3. However, I absolutely do care that much about Sony taking away features from my console without my permission.

18. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Never mind that Mr.Hotz was the cause for the removal. It's not your software so you don't really have a say in what happens with it.

19. SLATYE

That remains to be seen. The ongoing class action against Sony suggests that it was removed for cost reasons, not for security. Relevant link.

Correct, it's not my software. However, if Sony were to remove a feature that you quite liked (say, for example, the ability to play a game because someone figured out an exploit using that game) then you'd be pretty upset.

20. NSanity

NSanity Member

Given the whole reason Geohot started looking at it was because they dumped support on the Slim, I dare say you're actually right.

If people want to blame hackers for the removal of OtherOS, maybe they should start looking at the people that freed the RSX waaaaaaay back prior to 2.10 firmware (the 2.10 firmware was primarily released to "fix" that hole). Or maybe fail0verflow, who were the ones who ACTUALLY found a workable exploit (or several rather) unlike Geohots first attempt which was out of reach to anyone but the most extreme hardware hackers and only worked 20% of the time.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011