Baikal have released and Asic for Cryptonight

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by Gunna, Mar 12, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Gunna

Gunna Member

I hope no one bought one....

2. 426

426 Member

I read that bitmain was issuing some refunds (partial I believe) for buyers of their round 1&2 X3s

The difference between R1 and R3 and R2 and R4.
    So basically 3k and 1.9k for R1 and R2 miners.

There was also an offer to just 4x the orders with no refunds (or extra cash)

Which will all still be wasted after XMR forks...

3. douver

douver Member

Starting to look like up to around 80% of the Monero hashrate prefork was ASIC, shows just how much ASIC companies like Bitmain will covert mine before they sell. Maybe Bitmain intended just covert mining forever but Baikal stuffed them up by releasing one?

There is a decent chance that GPU miners are competing with large amounts of ASIC's on other coins like ETH (hell they might even be shipping ETH miners v1 in July and mining on much more efficient v2 hardware themselves) - this shows just because they aren't shipping them yet doesn't mean they don't exist. ETH hashrate doubled in the last 3-4 months (and stayed up even as the price fell), I don't think that AMD/Nvidia could have made more GPU's in 3-4 months than the previous 2-3 years.

gmturner and shredder like this.
  4. cvidler

cvidler Member

you have to wonder about the whole golden goose situation. why would you sell the golden goose, when you can mine away with a significant part of the hashrate, for profit while everyone else struggles along, no point selling the tech, until it's old and stops laying.

seems there's next to no reason to buy ASIC, unless you design/build yourself.

5. gmturner

gmturner Member

yeh the hashrate drop in monero has been an eye opener. ethereum on the other hand though has had massive gpu farms being built for it for at least a year all solely for eth mining so i hope its hashrate is all genuine gpu. Only one way to find out, convince old mate vitalik to fork it.

EDIT: actually yeh i agree after looking more closely at the eth hashrate graph, gotta be some big asics come in last couple of months.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    Gunna

Gunna Member

7. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

They have to since X3 is 11x a B-N at the same price, still better value to buy an X3.

:)

8. OP
    OP
    Gunna

Gunna Member

Scummy as most cryptonight are moving to V1(asic resistance)