Baking Trays

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by supasaiyan, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Straight into the tray. Be it glass, non-stick or stainless. Oil in, herbs and salt in, give it a toss and in the oven. When cooked, vegies out, hot water and detergant in. Deal with it later.

Glass or Stainless obviously the best, can just scrub them. I've cut down my foil, baking paper and paper towel usage a lot over the last year. Just so wasteful to save a couple minutes cleaning.

DoCsIs likes this.
  2. caspian

caspian Member

the wife and I now have an assortment of bain marie hotel pans for oven use, in both half and quarter size. they fit a small roast and veg fine, or a couple go into a 900mm over very well. can be chucked on the burner afterwards for reduction, impervious to dishwashers and any form of scourer. very good value.

3. connico

connico Member

Ikea have perfect stainless steel roasting pans...the are plain and unbreakable. Have a swing handle as well for heavy lifting..

4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You mean these? http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/20174457/

As someone who roasts regularly, those won't last very long before becoming very worn and stained.

miicah likes this.
  5. connico

connico Member

Kitchen wear is surpose to get worn and stained....

Its called seasoning lol

6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Whats the point of it looking terrible, not being able to tell which parts are clean and dirty and just overall getting worse after each use?

Why don't you show me your 20+ year old baking dish then?

You can just buy something that will look near new for a long time instead.

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

What are you using, and what are you doing with them? Baking dishes can last pretty much forever, if you don't wreck them on purpose.
    As for the ikea ones, I looked at them in the shop and they seemed quite decent for the price. Have you actually used them? They are probably the same as more expensive ones elsewhere, they can just sell them cheap because of bulk buying power.

8. miicah

miicah Member

The stainless on those Ikea ones must be a lower quality or something, because they tarnish quite easily. That said they are still solidly constructed for the price.

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

they are certainly cheap

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Very standard I would have thought.

Cut up potatoes, meat of choice, a little bit of oil and seasoning on top. No foil/baking paper, in the oven at 220C.

Exactly right.

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

oh, and you're going through baking dishes? Interesting. I wonder why.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Baking tray always, no tin foil, with oil. Sometimes you get a bit stuck but it's not a biggie.

13. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I did until I switched to glass.

I also have a porcelain baking dish that also does well.

14. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

Roasting veg? Olive oil, Coles AU$3 baking tray, after cooking scrub it with dish soap and a sponge and reuse until you've used it too much (you can tell when the dried-on food cuts through the sponge and your fingertips), chuck it into the recycle bin, buy new Coles AU$3 baking tray, rinse, repeat (pun intended).

I do use foil / baking paper for steaming parcels, which do go on the baking tray, but they are a different thing.

Serious now: I'm scared to pay more for decent quality baking sheets / pyrex glassware because most of the time I'm a clean-as-you-go kind of guy, but sometimes I just need to cook and eat, and cleaning can wait until tomorrow, and I just can't face an hour of scrubbing to rescue cookware that cost me two days at work to pay for, because I was too tired to spend 10 minutes being proactive.So hence the cheapest option every time. Don't judge, you ain't me.

15. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Thats literally why I have a pyrex baking dish. Cost me around $12

I can cook my potatoes for 60 minutes at 220C so they are so crunchy and can sometimes have burnt bits stuck to the dish.

I put it in the dishwasher, comes out brand new.

The best part is there is no way to scrub/clean it in a way that damages it.

If the dish was non stick I would have destroyed it cleaning bits that baked on, if it was stainless steel it will just deteriorate from scrubbing etc.

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

what do you mean? Nothing happens to it. It doesn't "deteriorate".

17. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

You've obviously never scrubbed hard enough.

"Out, damned spot!"

18. broccoli

broccoli Member

Don't have to.... and, if there's a spot where something's decided to cling too hard, a bit of Gumption removes it without drama. Mostly, there's no scrubbing, the dishwasher takes everything away.

19. Revenge

Revenge Member

Best thing I ever did was replace as many of my baking trays etc as I could with glass...

20. connico

connico Member

No gravy from bottom of the pan... unless you using very specific glassware you wont be able to put glass on a gas hob to deglaze all those nice caramelised bits for your gravy...