Baldur's Gate 3

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by boneburner, Jun 7, 2019.

1. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

I
    Which part of paying $90 to be a voluntary alpha tester is hard to understand?? Larian are charging you $90 upfront to playtest the first third of their game. Its different to kickstarter backers because they know they're supporting the game upfront and as a backer usually get more exclusive rewards in addition to alpha and beta tests.

Now with Steam early access you're being asked by Larian to pony up the full AAA game price in order to play the game early. How exactly is that a good deal from a well established and successful game studio?

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Nobody is forcing you to buy it, you can simply wait until release without any disadvantage.

bassyblue likes this.
  3. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

Besides the point, just commenting on a scummy move by a respected game dev that used to be pro gamer not chasing profit above all else.
    Just my 2cents as I bought and played their past games like divinity 1 and 2, but this move has me reconsidering supporting their efforts from bg3 onwards.

4. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

You. Don't. Have. To. Buy. The. Game.

I don't get how it's a scummy move either. You preorder it and get to alpha/beta test it. Or you don't.

5. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

Because most devs significantly discount games that are in early access? $45 or so is the norm. Charging top dollar for an alpha test with no other benefits to the die-hard bg fans is a rip-off. Just because it's not compulsory purchase doesn't make it any less of a shitty move.

Anywho all the larian white knights can enjoy their $90 alpha test, I'd rather spend my money on a complete game like CP2077 which is still cheaper for a proper AAA game.

6. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

That seems like a pretty sad reason for your comments in this thread.

7. spludgey

spludgey Member

Doesn't look like a real BG game. :(

8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Most devs who do early access have poor or no reputation and need to discount it as compensation because the game might either never be finished, or will be a pile of junk.

In fact, I would say the majority (maybe nearly all?) of early access games are disappointing and don't meet community expectations from day 1.

Larian does not have this issue, everyone is 100% sure it will be completed as they have a perfect track record of not only meeting community expectations, but exceeding them.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  9. Zabba

Zabba Member

Then why do it?...why buy an unfinished product?

Because they can away with it, because marketing and greed. I still think it is a shitty move...completely unnecessary at that.

10. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

If Larian were developing a game of their own IP, you'd imagine they would chose to kickstart again, it's worked very well for them in the past.
    They're making this for WoTC, you can be pretty certain they have a big say in how it is published and marketed - they certainly don't want to cheapen the experience for the diehard BG fans :lol:

11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You don't have to buy the unfinished product, thats the best part.

If you choose to buy it in early access, you can contribute to how they shape the game.

12. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Best part is you can play D&D for nothing and there is more content than you could play in a lifetime... only problem is you have to BYO friends :Pirate:

bassyblue likes this.
  13. bassyblue

bassyblue Member

I've heard it seems more like divinity 3 with 5e?

14. Zabba

Zabba Member

You know perfectly well that statement is not true.

If I choose to buy it in early access, all I will accomplish is to contribute (to their bank accounts) while they shape the game.

The only way to shape the game is by working at Larian or WOTC...and probably not even at Larian to be honest...just WOTC, their game, their franchise, their rules. Larian just makes pretty pictures that talk.

15. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Larian listened to customer feedback during Divinity 1 and Divinity 2 Kickstarter/Early Access.

bassyblue likes this.
  16. Zabba

Zabba Member

That is true and I respect them very much but that's completely different. Divinity is their own IP and the kickstarter was a means to gather attention and funds. In BG3's case they have been commissioned by WOTC to make this game, it's not their IP and they don't need the funds to make it. For the same reason, the public has no say on how shape anything.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Larian hater or anything. I loved their games and have a couple of hundreds of hours combined. I even don't mind the comments that BG3 is more like Div3 with 5e. I'm just against using early access as a marketing tool, but I also suspect that this is not Larian's doing.

17. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I'm not sure it has worked like that, maybe you can provide a source.

My understanding is that Larian wanted to make Divinity 3, thought they could change things up with a different idea, were able to get the IP for Baldlurs gate 3, and here we are.

I don't see how things are different at all except that they didn't go through kickstarter, which wouldn't have happened either way as they had a lot of income from Divinity 2.

In this case early access is not a marketing tool, it would probably do better being released as a finished copy.

Early access is just like in previous Divinity games, its a very complicated RPG that needs a lot of people playing it to provide adequate feedback.

We know this because there is a huge difference between
    Divinity 1/2 Early Access
    Divinity 1/2 Official Release
    Divinity 1/2 Enhanced Edition

It becomes very obvious that a lot of the changes were either community feedback or scope increase due to the popularity of the game.

This is good for Baldur's Gate 3 as the early access has been insanely popular so they are likely to increase scope either before release or after release.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  18. Zabba

Zabba Member

https://www.pcgamesn.com/baldurs-gate-3/larian-interview

Regarding your other comment, I don't agree that they needed to have it released as a paid "open beta" (aka. early access) in order to iron out bugs and such. That's the whole point of inhouse testing and patching post launch.

At the end of the day I can't wait to play BG3 once it is finished, but they won't get my money earlier and for me Larian just got a -1 CHA.

19. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Your source makes it like the way I mentioned it. Its Larian's game with the IP they chose. Without that IP it would have been the game with a different title most likely.

In house testing for a large RPG like this simply doesn't work, there are way too many weird ways to play the game.

Even then, its not just about bugs, its about the many things they can miss/forget etc, its a huge game with more complexity then Skyrim etc, and Skyrim is full of bugs.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020