Balisong trainers?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Talsek, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Talsek

Talsek Member

Anyone know where you can buy one those these in Australia?
    I tried getting one from Ebay only to have it seized by customs using this justification :

Click to view full size!

I had a look at the local sellers but were only greeted with the tacky (imo) comb variant.

Guessing trainers aren't illegal to carry or own?

2. apsilon

apsilon Member

You guess wrong. Given your seizure notice specifically names trainers that's a pretty bad guess. The reason you can't find any is because they were banned due to the possibilty of being converted with a live blade. That's why the one you tried to import was seized and why you won't find them for sale anywhere.

Depending on the state/territory you're in look into getting a prohibited weapons permit. You'll need to join a recognised club etc but it's possible in some states. If you're in NSW I'll save you the time. There are no recognised clubs or organisations any more so it's impossible to get a permit.

3. OP
    OP
    Talsek

Talsek Member

Oh sorry,my guess was based on the various sellers that are based in Sydney who sell the comb variants.

Unless that's specifically different from regular uncut metal ones I can't see how it's illegal.Especially when a comb might be interpreted as the "spikes" mentioned in the definition.

There is also a distinction between ownership and import

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  4. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

You should definitely state which state you're in. Weapon laws change across borders. As far as training knives that's a universal thing not just balisongs. For example those crappy metal "sword-like objects" you find at comic-con and such? The overwhelming percentage of which the handle would snap off the moment you even tried to swing it let alone hit anything with? Here in SA they're still swords and while it's not illegal to own one as long as you're over 18 it's still illegal to carry them in public without a clear motive (transporting them and part of a costume for an event are the most obvious two).
    An even more extreme example. Fake, plastic toy guns get the attention of the law if they don't have the orange part on the end of the barrel.

Basically, if it looks remotely like it could harm or even panic someone from 100m away you'll want to ask law/customs first.

5. apsilon

apsilon Member

While I'm not certain, I believe the comb ones aren't legal. I've seen cases of them being seized by customs. The fact that you can buy them doesn't mean much. Customs doesn't have the resources to check everything coming in and police don't have the resources (and in a lot of cases the knowledge) to go around finding everything that shouldn't be on sale. The fact you can buy something doesn't make it legal.

Yes there is a distinction between import and ownership. I can list several items that are legal to own but illegal to import just like I can list things that are legal to import but illegal to own. Just like many laws these things don't always make sense.

Life_Essence, it's actual not universal. Training knives are completely legal generally, Balisongs are an exception because they're scary and someone who makes the laws saw one in a movie once and felt threatened.

In general our laws suck. They're confusing, often conflict with other laws and are poorly thought through. Basic rule of thumb is if it's not something the majority of typical Australians would want then it's probably not allowed.

6. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Balisongs have been illegal in most states since the 1990s.

7. miicah

miicah Member

I tried to get a fork balisong imported from thinkgeek and they took it off me :(