1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Ball blowing robot demonstrates extreme dexterity

Discussion in 'Science' started by Fortigurn, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Someone has to find a good use for this thing, surely.

2. tht

tht Member

What was the point of the 'produce time' bit? All I saw was what appeared to be a spinning apple.

The onion peeling was so quick. I have no idea how they could do that with just air though.

3. Sorak

Sorak Member

4. CyberBeat

CyberBeat Member

pretty cool!

5. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Produce as in stuff that is made (produced).

Its an interesting concept - you can hold objects in midair and then manipulate them - I can't think of a use, buy something involving lasers would be epic.

6. OP
    OP
    Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

The word 'produce' is used in the US to refer to groceries, including fruit. So 'produce time' means 'time for some groceries'. I think the point was to demonstrate that the system was capable of moving heavier objects than mere pingpong balls.

I assume the air was very highly accelerated.

7. rush

rush Member

Was expecting something... different... from the title of the thread.

Nevertheless it was an interesting video.

8. Sorak

Sorak Member

9. busky2k

busky2k Member

I actually found this more amazing. The ultimate robotic hand. The response of it is astounding!

10. ali1988

ali1988 Member

First i saw this ball thing and was very impressed but not quite 'blown away'.

Then i saw that ultra high speed robotic hand and my brain frigging EXPLODED. that thing is INSANE. wtf!?!?! I didn't even know such responses were POSSIBLE in realtime with current tech. I don't know what more impressive, the sheer actuator speed or the control system behind it. And whats with the pressure pads having only 4 wires? I guess resolution was sacrificed for the 1ms response?

This srzly reminds me why i'm doing mechatronic engineering. after 4 years i thought i'd had enough, but this shit puts it all back into perspective!

edit: not to mention that vision tracking system, forgot about that. The bit with the camera tracking the ball alone is insanely impressive

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  11. AzonIc

AzonIc Member

Combine that with the Iron Curtain anti-RPG sytstem and send the RPG's back from where they came!

12. Tabris

Tabris Member

This seriously reminds me why we're all doomed, doomed I tell you. First it starts with dynamically dribbling or throwing a ball or pen spinning, then it progresses to electric death spear throwing and high speed electric death nunchuk spinning.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED