1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bangkok - What should I eat? (updated with Photos)

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by scon, Feb 18, 2014.

1. scon

scon Member

So. It appears that because of my wife's work, we're going to Bankok for a week starting this Saturday.

My main concern is wtf am I going to eat? I'll take shitloads of photos of course.

So far I have:
    Soo-an (oysters fried w/ egg and a sticky batter) @ Nay mong
    Pad Thai cooked in prawn fat @ Thip Samai
    Nahm - David Thompson's Restaurant
    Oxtail Soup @ Muslim Restaurant
    Dtom Yam @ Krua Apsom
    Goo ay jop man sai (pork offal and noodle soup) @ Nay Lek Uan​

So these are the places that the Lonely Planet recommend.... what else... Where can I find good deep fried crickets? Good chili crab? What else am I missing? I'll take a shitload of photos... please, for the good of OCAU (and my stomach) help me!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  2. lithos

lithos Member

DRINK THE ORANGE JUICE.

DRINK THE ORANGE JUICE.

DRINK THE ORANGE JUICE.

Also, eat the watermelon and pineapple.

3. Supplanter

Supplanter Member

Make sure you take a lot of pictures, and heaps of photographs.

4. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

there was a place that Marion (from Masterchef) recommended on her blog that the wife and i went to when we were there in December.. it's very out of the way but the food was extremely good

5. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

Street food, screw the restaurants.

6. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

spend lots of time walking. it helps burn more energy, which creates more hunger, which makes more room in your belly for food.

also, sometimes the best food can be found in alleys and from street vendors, so walking means you have a higher chance of finding that gem.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Probably more a question of what you shouldn't eat rather than what you should eat :p

8. Sorrow

Sorrow Member

This.

Street food can be considered safer too due to the fact you can actually see where its being cooked and how clean it is.

9. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

That, and you also get more of the authentic flavour. You will find that most restaurants will tend to alter to flavour a little to suit the tourists.

Edit: I'm generalising about the restaurants listed in Lonely Planet. There may be some good ones though I've never tried any of them.

10. TheUnenthusiast

TheUnenthusiast (Banned or Deleted)

I've travelled to both Thailand and Vietnam on different occasions and we've always eaten Streetfood or at small local restaurants without issue.

The single time we have been a bit sick was after eating at a hotel and we were able to narrow it down to some squid in one of the dishes.

Smaller restaurants and street vendors generally buy their food fresh daily, where hotels can have things laying around in kitchens for a little but longer than is best at times.

11. dr1fta

dr1fta Member

urghhh tastes like vitamin C tablets

12. kamehameha

kamehameha Member

Go to the Blue Elephant - the food is good (not really worth it, *really*) but the experience is fantastic.

DOOOOO IT

13. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

another vote for this.

pick a street food vendor that is busy.
    busy usually means a high turn over of food stock therefore it's less likely to have gone off.

street food vendors aren't stupid, they know where their business comes from so they're not about to make them all sick.
    certainly not in the typical tourist areas anyway.

off the beaten track you might run into some issues, but it doesn't sound like you'll be doing that.

14. doug81

doug81 Member

Mango sticky rice from the street :thumbup:

15. OP
    OP
    scon

scon Member

Yeah will definitely be eating as much hawker food as I can. Harder to plan around though :p. I'm not prissy when it comes to food and will eat anything, insects, offal, whatever.

16. wrek3000

wrek3000 Member

anything...and everything:thumbup: especially if its from the side of the rd. the fried chicken in bangkok is the shznit! ate it anywhere and everywhere i could find it.
    boat noodle soup is my favourite
    lard na
    som tum
    eat and you will definately discover new unfound aquired tastes.
    Enjoy :thumbup:

17. stevenx

stevenx Member

These could be useful:

http://www.austinbushphotography.com/blog
    http://www.eatingthaifood.com/

Some food nerd friends did a tour with these guys and think it was pretty sweet: http://bangkokfoodtours.com/

Take the sky train to BTS Thong Lor around 7pm and walk a few minutes to Sukhumvit Soi 38 - it's awesome: http://www.timetravelturtle.com/2013/01/best-bangkok-street-food/

There's food everywhere, though. Just walk along random sois and you'll find something tasty :)

Edit: If you're a SomethingAwful member, head to the Tourism and Travel section and ask in the South East Asia megathread. Some of the Bangkok based expats have some great tips.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  18. sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Probably a bit late, but I just got back Bangkok the other day.

Tang Jai Yoo in Chinatown was fantastic. The star is the hand roasted suckling pig where they eat it peking duck style. I.e. they slice off the crackling and you eat it with the pancakes, hoisin sauce and cucumbers. Remaining pig they took and cooked it garlic pepper style. We managed to polish 1 pig off between 2 people. :thumbup:

They also do the most amazing crab fried rice. In fact, I loved the crab fried rice more than the suckling pig. Their stir fried kangkong was also one of the nicest ones I had in Thailand.

Nai Mong was also really nice. But I prefer the dry style you find at other street stalls over their saucy version. Still very nice though.

19. OP
    OP
    scon

scon Member

I have literally tried to go to Nay Mong three times in the last week and every time it has been closed. :(

Anyways, tonight is our last night here and I'm going to try convince the others to go to Jai Fai. Once I get home and sort through the photos I'll put some up.

Had the pork offal soup at Nay Lek Uan last night which was really good.

20. Thudd

Thudd Member

EEEEAAAATTTTT THE STREEEEET FOOOOOOD

Plus, if they ask you how hot you want it, say "Thai style." When they look at you funny, nod your head to verify.

Caveat: I like really spicy food.